Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know he's from Ontario but how is a 23 year old young man drafted by the Winnipeg Jets and never have played a game for a major Toronto sports team part of the old boys club of Toronto?!?!?! Just because he grew up in Ontario? So Steven Stamkos is part of the Toronto old boys club as well? John Tavares, too?

No. Not anyplace in Ontario. But growing up in Toronto's shadow he feels at home in Toronto. I'm not supporting the theory that Mark felt at home there and Trouba did not. Just explaining the effect of the geography. Ontario covers an area 3x that of Germany but most of its population lives within an hour of Toronto.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
No. Not anyplace in Ontario. But growing up in Toronto's shadow he feels at home in Toronto. I'm not supporting the theory that Mark felt at home there and Trouba did not. Just explaining the effect of the geography. Ontario covers an area 3x that of Germany but most of its population lives within an hour of Toronto.

I see. Getting a better sense about this now.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
I'm sure it happens all over. In the summer, players tend to head back to their home towns to train with people they are familiar with. Happens here in Winnipeg.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
who said old?

Roberts' camp is dominated by local kids who largely grew up playing against each other and are very familiar with each other. Trouba isn't the first who decided he didn't fit in. It's unfortunate that Roberts decided to slander him to a dressing room full of Winnipeg beer-leagers at the Mike Keane Classic afterwards.

Truth is though, Roberts camp is no different than dozens of others around the continent and Scheifele's transformation is all down to Mark.
Too right. People act like the Roberts camp is the be all end all of training camps, but as you say there are plenty of others that are just as good. He's just better at marketing.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
We all had these notions about Armia as well and look how he uas progressed. I think Maurice gives the new guys certain objectives before he lets them fully go.
Dano is likely going to come out of his shell soon.

Exactly. Every new kid has to show and learn the defensive game first. Its no different with Dano. You can tell he is very conscious of his defensive game (outside that oops he had the other day which im sure he heard about).

Once he gets his assignments down PoMo will allow alot more free rein offensively. The last thing a coach wants is a yakapov type player.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
There are ton of athletic training camps that are just as advance and effective as Roberts. Like a huuuuuge ton.

Roberts also pushes some things that are basically pseudo-science, at least on the diet side of things. Not things that would hurt at least not the ones I've seen, just unnecessary and don't really help. I don't object to players trying anything that may help though, it's a positive attitude that will pay off overall.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Roberts also pushes some things that are basically pseudo-science, at least on the diet side of things. Not things that would hurt at least not the ones I've seen, just unnecessary and don't really help. I don't object to players trying anything that may help though, it's a positive attitude that will pay off overall.

Any specific examples, just out of curiosity?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
There is a huge amount of expensive "molecular biology" based testing and treatment (drugs, supplements, etc) going on, especially in the US, without any scientific proof that it works. It's mostly catered to the very rich, who can afford it and are willing to fork out big $$ to get the upper edge on health and longevity.
Pseudoscience is close....more like science without application...aside from making money.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
There is a huge amount of expensive "molecular biology" based testing and treatment (drugs, supplements, etc) going on, especially in the US, without any scientific proof that it works. It's mostly catered to the very rich, who can afford it and are willing to fork out big $$ to get the upper edge on health and longevity.
Pseudoscience is close....more like science without application...aside from making money.

You basically defined Pseudoscience here... doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that it's not scientific

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not the way I would define pseudoscience. It is more like science without science not without application. It is usually accompanied by a lot of scientific sounding bafflegab. Any research is without use of the scientific method. Thus pseudo or fake science.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Too right. People act like the Roberts camp is the be all end all of training camps, but as you say there are plenty of others that are just as good. He's just better at marketing.

There are ton of athletic training camps that are just as advance and effective as Roberts. Like a huuuuuge ton.

who said old?

Roberts' camp is dominated by local kids who largely grew up playing against each other and are very familiar with each other. Trouba isn't the first who decided he didn't fit in. It's unfortunate that Roberts decided to slander him to a dressing room full of Winnipeg beer-leagers at the Mike Keane Classic afterwards.

Truth is though, Roberts camp is no different than dozens of others around the continent and Scheifele's transformation is all down to Mark.

Granted there are many training camps that are and could be effective for Trouba. Can anyone tell me which one's he has attended ? If some of us understood he was taking his training as seriously as Schief but at different camps we wouldn't judge his work ethic. His talent isn't in question.

Are these effective and high end training camps in Australia?

As a fan I would like all the Jets rookies and prospects to be as driven as Scief in the off season to be a more effective player. If those players aren't at Roberts camp, I'm hoping they are at least going somewhere similar.

Bwadlay

Feb 22, 2016
Don't know if or where this is already posted but here goes......

Former Portage Terriers’ outstanding goaltender Jason Kasdorf has been nominated for the 2015-16 Mike Richter Award. This annual award honours the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA Division l men’s hockey. The winner will be announced at the 2016 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four in Tampa, Florida.

Kasdorf, 23, is currently playing for RPI of the ECAC. He was also a former draft selection of the Winnipeg Jets. In total, nine former Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) goalies were nominated for the award. Overall, 26 nominees have combined for a 2.15 goals-against average, a .926 save percentage and a grade-point average of 3.15.

Goalies on the Mike Richter Award watch list are chosen by members of Let’s Play Hockey, utilizing both past performance and future potential. Freshmen are not included on the first list of the season. Additions and deletions to this list, including freshmen, will be made as the 2015-16 season unfolds
The candidates for the Mike Richter Award will be determined by nominations from all 60 NCAA Division I men’s hockey head coaches. The finalists and winner are selected by a committee of coaches, scouts and members of the media.

Four of the nine CJHL alumni on this year’s list were also 2015 Mike Richter Award candidates with Jamie Phillips selected as a 2015 finalist. CJHL alumni make up approximately 35% on the nominees.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Granted there are many training camps that are and could be effective for Trouba. Can anyone tell me which one's he has attended ? If some of us understood he was taking his training as seriously as Schief but at different camps we wouldn't judge his work ethic. His talent isn't in question.

As a fan I would like all the Jets rookies and prospects to be as driven as Scief in the off season to be a more effective player. If those players aren't at Roberts camp, I'm hoping they are at least going somewhere similar.

I think too many of us are comparing him to Scheifele. That is setting the bar very high. A lesser work ethic/dedication to excellence than Scheif's can still be pretty good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Most are at various high end camps. I think Morrissey attends the same camp that Keith and Eberle etc do.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
DNA testing for food compatibility is one thing I heard about.

Interesting. Thanks.

Edit: Getting OT but I have found that the topic of food can be as polarizing as religion or politics. I love tinkering with my own diet in n=1 type "experiments" and I just found it hilarious how much other people around me (a) cared what I was eating and (b) felt obligated to tell me their opinion on it.

Last edited:

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Connor at 9th overall.
Armia at 53rd overall.
Morrissey at 58th overall.
Dano at 64th overall.

Jets tied for 6th with Detroit, Columbus and Philly on THN's Best Drafter Chart.
Jets ranked at 5th overall in terms of Prospects with a B+ rating.

The Hockey News' top 10 Jets prospects are as follows:

1 - Connor
2 - Armia
3 - Morrissey
4 - Dano
5 - Petan
6 - Comrie
7 - Lemieux
8 - Roslovic
9 - Poolman
10 - Lipon

Status