Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You and allot of other people. I will never forget the Jets draft party at the Shark Club when Domi was picked one before us there was a full on groan fest in the bar and you could clearly tell Max was the golden boy choice. Then drum roll and Morrissey gets picked and there was confusion (who....what......), then disappointment, literally draft list papers thrown in the air in frustration and then half the bar cleared out pissed off. :laugh:

My hopes that year was the Ristolainen would fall to us (in a Connor like shocker) and if not I liked Wennberg in our tier. I am happy with Josh and am willing to let it play out. I think he is the modern NHL puck mover and the choice will stand the test of time as far as draft value goes.

Wasn't the complaint back then, that the Jets were drafting too many D?

Funny how quickly things change around here

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm actually able to watch the Michigan games against Penn State this weekend, so I'm thinking about doing a shift by shift video breakdown of Connor's games.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm actually able to watch the Michigan games against Penn State this weekend, so I'm thinking about doing a shift by shift video breakdown of Connor's games.

If Michigan loses both games, they will not be a 1 or 2 seed in the Big Ten tourney. They would have to play an extra game. They would also be severely hurting their chances of being an at large selection to the NCAA regionals.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

That would be great, so far I've only been able to catch highlights.
I'd be interested to know how he plays in his own end as well as his forecheck & backcheck

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think he'll leave college for the AHL

He might. I have no idea what kind of a student he is. Some decide that university is just not for them. I doubt he is ever the kind of player who has a lock on an NHL job when he signs. My guess is one more year then turn pro. Probably spend 1 year in the A.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Their 2-way salary is still 65k in the AHL, right? How much importance does Roslovic put in schooling? I don't see him turning pro yet. Probably won't for at least another year.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
He might. I have no idea what kind of a student he is. Some decide that university is just not for them. I doubt he is ever the kind of player who has a lock on an NHL job when he signs. My guess is one more year then turn pro. Probably spend 1 year in the A.

Hard to get a good read on him. He's leading his team in scoring, but they don't seem to be a very good team and don't generate alot of offense. His stats would be a whole lot better playing with Connor's linemates.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hard to get a good read on him. He's leading his team in scoring, but they don't seem to be a very good team and don't generate alot of offense. His stats would be a whole lot better playing with Connor's linemates.

Your right but I doubt that he is the elite level prospect that gets that red carpet treatment. Next year will be D+2 so equivalent to a CHL graduate. It would be normal to expect 1 year in the A for a late first pick.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

I suspect the same. One more year in college.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I suspect the same. One more year in college.

Just to add to my own post. If we draft a C this year and if we also move Stafford then we may have an urgent vacancy for a RW. That could see him move up a little quicker. Still at least 1 year away though but maybe not 2.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Then why go to college at all? I think there's very little chance he leaves college this year.

Because it's a way to showcase your skills against better competition to try and get offered a pro contract while also maintaining AHL eligibility. Plenty of guys are 1 and done college hockey players.

If I'm GM I offer the kid a contract this off season and make sure he knows he'll be starting with the Moose but could see a few games depending on how well he plays. If he takes it great if not then he develops another season at college. He would fit in perfectly on the Moose IMO.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Because it's a way to showcase your skills against better competition to try and get offered a pro contract while also maintaining AHL eligibility. Plenty of guys are 1 and done college hockey players.

But why not just tell the Jets you'd rather turn pro and go directly to the AHL without attending college? They would have offered him contract no? Why bother going at all? Many more players are not 1 and done.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But why not just tell the Jets you'd rather turn pro and go directly to the AHL without attending college? They would have offered him contract no? Why bother going at all? Many more players are not 1 and done.

Hard to say if the Jets even offered him anything... they might have wanted to wait and see what he does. Before they offer him a contract they can suggest things to him but they can't make him do anything so while your sitting around waiting for a contract might as well take up that offer from that college in Ohio...
He was to old to play for the USDP again where else was he supposed to go if the Jets don't offer him a contract? He could go play with Plymouth for a year.. or he could go play against better competition in college and hope the Jets offer him a contract next off season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

But he may be one of those that is.
School is not for everyone. Some dropout.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Hard to say if the Jets even offered him anything... they might have wanted to wait and see what he does. Before they offer him a contract they can suggest things to him but they can't make him do anything so while your sitting around waiting for a contract might as well take up that offer from that college in Ohio...
He was to old to play for the USDP again where else was he supposed to go if the Jets don't offer him a contract? He could go play with Plymouth for a year.. or he could go play against better competition in college and hope the Jets offer him a contract next off season.

Obviously the Jets didn't offer him anything. Why would they ruin his NCAA eligibility?

I think he just believed the the NCAA was the best place to develop as a pkayer and until he feels he's an NHL player he's gonna stay in school, like most players do. I can see Connor possibly leaving school next year but I don't see Roslovic doing it. I doubt the Jets would encourage it.
He's not ready.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Obviously the Jets didn't offer him anything. Why would they ruin his NCAA eligibility?

I think he just believed the the NCAA was the best place to develop as a pkayer and until he feels he's an NHL player he's gonna stay in school, like most players do. I can see Connor possibly leaving school next year but I don't see Roslovic doing it. I doubt the Jets would encourage it.
He's not ready.

The way you talk it sounds like it is rare for NCAA players to go to the AHL.

I doubt the Jets would lead him to believe he has more than a slim chance of making the NHL next year. They may very well make him an offer to turn pro next year though. Through his family of course. He may or may not accept it. That would be up to him and individuals vary in their motivations. I expect 1 more year of NCAA before they make him an offer good enough to get him to leave school but I don't know what they will do any more than you do.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

He's not ready.

Jets are required to offer Connor a "bonafide" offer to retain his rights. Like all other college players (and CHL players as well for that matter). Otherwise you only hold rights for 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad