Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2013-2014 (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Many third party scouting companies have claimed the 2013 draft to be the best Jets/Thrashers draft for immediate/apparent overall value...

I'd have to agree.

I'd trade our entire 2013 class for an 18 year old Kovalchuk. Pretty easily too.

jetkarma*

Many third party scouting companies have claimed the 2013 draft to be the best Jets/Thrashers draft for immediate/apparent overall value...

I'd have to agree.

Hard to go against that view , of course things have to play out , but this could be the draft that jump starts this organizations talent pool and sets us up for that much needed depth.

A lot of picks look like they could be contributors and several look to have much more upside than their draft slot. Can see why almost universally it was regarded as one of the best drafts of 2013.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Hard to go against that view , of course things have to play out , but this could be the draft that jump starts this organizations talent pool and sets us up for that much needed depth.

A lot of picks look like they could be contributors and several look to have much more upside than their draft slot. Can see why almost universally it was regarded as one of the best drafts of 2013.

was going to mention that. Not only was it apparently a good year for the Franchise, we were one of the best picking teams of that draft (apparently).

Will be great to see if these guys really do pan out. if we get three legit NHL'rs out of this draft i'll be ecstatic, and it's looking plausible with even just Morrisey, Petan, and Comrie. If even one of the remaining selections makes the big club in a bottom role that will be a very good haul.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
What's the story on Blomqvist?

Playing soft and uninterested.

Ill give him the benefit of the doubt since he had such a good camp with the Jets to earn a contract. Lethbridge is such a mess so this is nothing but good news

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Playing soft and uninterested.

Ill give him the benefit of the doubt since he had such a good camp with the Jets to earn a contract. Lethbridge is such a mess so this is nothing but good news

His game may always lead to that talk.

He is huge, but that doesn't mean he will run around smashing people and fans think he should.

I have seem multiple people compare him to Dustin Penner, HC included. For a more Jets centered comparison, look no further than Nic Antropov. He isn't a clone of either guy, but like them he will probably always deal with effort talk - warranted or not.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It does but I think the distractions of that particular team will only make things worse.

If he goes to the Royals and plays the same way well then it is on him but if he does start to show a scoring touch or at least a drive to score then we can assume the team was a factor.

Lethbridge is in a such a bad way right now. Got a chance to watch Pilon last night with Brandon and he is going to be a good win. A steal they got him for

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
His game may always lead to that talk.

He is huge, but that doesn't mean he will run around smashing people and fans think he should.

I have seem multiple people compare him to Dustin Penner, HC included. For a more Jets centered comparison, look no further than Nic Antropov. He isn't a clone of either guy, but like them he will probably always deal with effort talk - warranted or not.

The plight of the big man. Apparently if your big there's only one way your allowed to play (which as mentioned, really isn't true).

second, it seem your also either "lazy" or "dirty".

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
It does but I think the distractions of that particular team will only make things worse.

If he goes to the Royals and plays the same way well then it is on him but if he does start to show a scoring touch or at least a drive to score then we can assume the team was a factor.

Lethbridge is in a such a bad way right now. Got a chance to watch Pilon last night with Brandon and he is going to be a good win. A steal they got him for

If they can get Conrad to come over next year too that trade will be an absolute steal. Brandon's looking to have a really good team in the next few years.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Worth noting IMO:

Blommer had 13 points in 19 games (he missed 5 games) for a team team that only scored only scored 61 total goals before he left. In other words, Blommer was in on 21.3% of the team's goals despite missing 20.8% of the games.

They scored 11 goals in the games he missed. (2.2 goals per game)

They scored 50 goals with him in the lineup (2.63 goals per game) and he was in on 26% of them.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

was going to mention that. Not only was it apparently a good year for the Franchise, we were one of the best picking teams of that draft (apparently).

Will be great to see if these guys really do pan out. if we get three legit NHL'rs out of this draft i'll be ecstatic, and it's looking plausible with even just Morrisey, Petan, and Comrie. If even one of the remaining selections makes the big club in a bottom role that will be a very good haul.

Straddling that probable/possible line regarding legitimate NHL players but it isn't only if we wear rose coloured glasses can we anticipate that imo.

I believe the Jets are at the least , becoming a very good overall franchise in regard to scouting , development , and I do really trust Cheveldayoff. Drafts like the last one offer a lot other than just who makes your NHL squad. The internal competition is a huge plus and it offers you the ability to package players in trades , something the Jets really haven't had yet . It also affords you to move some players , either veterans or still prospects for futures. IMO that is a major key on how this franchise should build , I would have this as a goal .

It is easier or more feasible imo to hit a triple or a home run with a draft choice than to do that perhaps through a trade , and in Winnipeg's case through FA. Simply put , the more chances/choices you have the more likely it is you both get as you said legitimate players but also hit on one or two picks that dramatically produce better than their draft slot.

Virtually every team has them , and it easier to keep them when you draft them as opposed to having to woo them in FA or trade for them .

It is hard to temper one's anticipation for this last draft class , and that isn't at least for me , being a homer. Quietly , well maybe not so quietly optimistic that this draft will solidify Winnipeg as more than team that just misses the playoffs. Just a bit of patience , but hopefully worth it.

jetkarma*

Worth noting IMO:

Blommer had 13 points in 19 games (he missed 5 games) for a team team that only scored only scored 61 total goals before he left. In other words, Blommer was in on 21.3% of the team's goals despite missing 20.8% of the games.

They scored 11 goals in the games he missed.

They scored 50 goals with him in the lineup and he was in on 26% of them.

On the sports last night they had a segment on the trade , and the GM said he felt that he would fit in well and produce better with the players in Victoria. Of course they hope that but they also probably believe that is likely as well.

Excited to have Adam Lowry's dad , Dave coach him . As I mentioned before , similar body and he can learn an awful lot from him , if he wants to .

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@NHLJets: #NHLJets prospects Josh Morrissey and Nic Petan named assistant captains for Team WHL in the Subway Super Series.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@TSNBobMcKenzie: "@RobSnoekLIVE: OHL: Anderson/Laughton/Rychel;Domi/McDavid/Brown;DelColle/Gaunce/Nastasiuk; McGinn/Horvat/Kosmachuk. http://t.co/l1tFu1g2zw"

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Straddling that probable/possible line regarding legitimate NHL players but it isn't only if we wear rose coloured glasses can we anticipate that imo.

I believe the Jets are at the least , becoming a very good overall franchise in regard to scouting , development , and I do really trust Cheveldayoff. Drafts like the last one offer a lot other than just who makes your NHL squad. The internal competition is a huge plus and it offers you the ability to package players in trades , something the Jets really haven't had yet . It also affords you to move some players , either veterans or still prospects for futures. IMO that is a major key on how this franchise should build , I would have this as a goal .

It is easier or more feasible imo to hit a triple or a home run with a draft choice than to do that perhaps through a trade , and in Winnipeg's case through FA. Simply put , the more chances/choices you have the more likely it is you both get as you said legitimate players but also hit on one or two picks that dramatically produce better than their draft slot.

Virtually every team has them , and it easier to keep them when you draft them as opposed to having to woo them in FA or trade for them .

It is hard to temper one's anticipation for this last draft class , and that isn't at least for me , being a homer. Quietly , well maybe not so quietly optimistic that this draft will solidify Winnipeg as more than team that just misses the playoffs. Just a bit of patience , but hopefully worth it.

I am still in wait and see mode on Chevy's drafting ability...

I really like the most recent draft, but the first two weren't mind blowing IMO.

Will Scheifele and Lowry prove to be better picks than Couturier and Cousins for Phi?

Boston drafted Dougie Hamilton, Alexander Khokhlachev and Anthony Camara that year.

Calgary pulled Sven Baertschi, Markus Granlund, Tyler Wotherspoon and John Gaudreau in that draft.

Chicago nabbed Mark McNeill, Brandon Saad, Phillip Danault and Andrew Shaw among others.

Many teams have reason to be optimistic about their draft classes. Did the Jets prove to be above average there? Unknown. I hope that Scheif and Lowry prove to be great value, but I don't know that they will.

Same goes for 2012. I mean Trouba looks like a beast, but there were a number of impact D drafted early that year and in 2012, 29 teams drafted not Lukas Sutter in the 2nd round. Hopefully Trouba, Kossy and Hellebuyck can help prove Chevy's merit at the draft table, but I don't know yet that his draft class was above average for where he picked.

Only time will tell.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I am still in wait and see mode on Chevy's drafting ability...

I really like the most recent draft, but the first two weren't mind blowing IMO.

Will Scheifele and Lowry prove to be better picks than Couturier and Cousins for Phi?

Boston drafted Dougie Hamilton, Alexander Khokhlachev and Anthony Camara that year.

Calgary pulled Sven Baertschi, Markus Granlund, Tyler Wotherspoon and John Gaudreau in that draft.

Chicago nabbed Mark McNeill, Brandon Saad, Phillip Danault and Andrew Shaw among others.

Many teams have reason to be optimistic about their draft classes. Did the Jets prove to be above average there? Unknown. I hope that Scheif and Lowry prove to be great value, but I don't know that they will.

Same goes for 2012. I mean Trouba looks like a beast, but there were a number of impact D drafted early that year and in 2012, 29 teams drafted not Lukas Sutter in the 2nd round. Hopefully Trouba, Kossy and Hellebuyck can help prove Chevy's merit at the draft table, but I don't know yet that his draft class was above average for where he picked.

Only time will tell.

I'm liable to give Chevy a bit of a pass on 2011. I think he probably operated exclusively on the past scouting core and what not. If schiefele and Lowry both turn out that's pretty good. As for 2012, it looks good at this point. Sutter was bad bad bad, but I think he did well enough with the other pic's to not get too hung up on the one blunder (though that IS a blunder).

13 Is the one that looks the most promising. It'll be tough to say. I guess i just wont' count 11 (that includes if it become a good one and suprises us) to be fair. Looking at 12 and 13, at this point there's only one pick in there i really don't like at this juncture, and that's lucas.

it's early days, but 14 for 15's pretty good

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think it's fair to be particularly negative when it comes to the 2011 draft really, this management group had very little insight in that draft.

Prior to this past draft I remember reading from multiple sources about how the Jets scouting staff was getting to be the largest and most frequently seen by various amateur or third party scouts I follow. This along with the seeming progression in terms of quality of players drafted over the past three years leaves me feeling pretty happy with the teams amateur scouting as it is currently.

This coming draft should be pretty telling however, if we can put another seemingly solid draft together next year then I would feel quite confident in our staff / philosophy.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm liable to give Chevy a bit of a pass on 2011. I think he probably operated exclusively on the past scouting core and what not. If schiefele and Lowry both turn out that's pretty good. As for 2012, it looks good at this point. Sutter was bad bad bad, but I think he did well enough with the other pic's to not get too hung up on the one blunder (though that IS a blunder).

13 Is the one that looks the most promising. It'll be tough to say. I guess i just wont' count 11 (that includes if it become a good one and suprises us) to be fair. Looking at 12 and 13, at this point there's only one pick in there i really don't like at this juncture, and that's lucas.

it's early days, but 14 for 15's pretty good

I don't disagree and I too have progressively like each draft more and more.

Main point was that it is too early to tell for sure.

Would have been nice if Chevy coulda stole Chicago's 2011 draft notes on the way out. Saad and Shaw already look like keepers and a couple others are doing well in the AHL. That team seems to be loading skill on top of skill on top of skill.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
@NHLJets: #NHLJets prospects Josh Morrissey and Nic Petan named assistant captains for Team WHL in the Subway Super Series.

That's nice to see. Last year, Lowry was the Captain so we're doing pretty good in the leadership area.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't think it's fair to be particularly negative when it comes to the 2011 draft really, this management group had very little insight in that draft.

Prior to this past draft I remember reading from multiple sources about how the Jets scouting staff was getting to be the largest and most frequently seen by various amateur or third party scouts I follow. This along with the seeming progression in terms of quality of players drafted over the past three years leaves me feeling pretty happy with the teams amateur scouting as it is currently.

This coming draft should be pretty telling however, if we can put another seemingly solid draft together next year then I would feel quite confident in our staff / philosophy.

Not trying to be negative, just saying we don't know much about his drafting ability. I am not one for excuses. Chevy and the scouting staff were all involved in NHL scouting before and after the move - they picked the players they picked.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think Chevy is currently trending up on his drafting ability, but I agree that it's too early to tell, especially in regards to developing prospects.

jetkarma*

Not trying to be negative, just saying we don't know much about his drafting ability. I am not one for excuses. Chevy and the scouting staff were all involved in NHL scouting before and after the move - they picked the players they picked.

True of course , but you don't think there were extenuating circumstances the first draft?

There were some pertinent points in the last several posts imo , I think the drafting is getting stronger, more trust in the scouting staff , more sense of direction.

We won't know until results are in , positive or negative , but at this point I certainly feel confident in the approach and what has unfolded to date . Not perfect of course but I definitely am encouraged.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Each scout is given very specific directions by the GM into how different skill sets should be weighted, the direction the organization is moving towards, and what specifically to look for in potential prospects.

I don't really care for the time excuse, due to (as Truck pointed out) these guys all were involved in scouting and drafting talent prior to the transfer from Thrashers to Jets...

However, I can see how scouts may not have evaluated as efficiently in the manner that Chevy would like due to possibility in the changes I mention in the first sentence.

EX: Let's say Atlanta was a lot heavier on acceleration and skating mechanics, but Chevy wanted a change in direction in emphasis to positional play and hockey IQ. Sure the scouts would have all their old notes and still remember a lot of the players, especially the ones that stood out, but still transition would be far from perfect in that manner.

This is the same reason why I take consensus lists with a large grain of salt. As these scouts are extrapolating future success based on their own individual (or their organization's) assessment in which skillsets are more transferable and predictive of said future success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad