Pre-Game Talk: Winnipeg Jets @ our Toronto Maple Leafs, March 31st 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
For all the flack he takes, I'm glad to see Holl in the lineup.
Absolutely nothing wrong with him. He's a victim of his 2 million dollar cap hit & the fact he's for the most part been outplayed by both Liljegren and Sandin this season. Instead of being happy about their progression, we look for the negative and attack the guy who got surpassed. Great situation we're in for playoffs if Holl is your #6 or #7 Dman

Reactions: Mr_Fun and saltming

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For all the flack he takes, I'm glad to see Holl in the lineup.

He does quite well, and then he has those moments where he looks like he's completely spaced out.

Like he's looking around the ice trying to figure out exactly what is going on and trying to remember what exactly does the puck look like?

Good thing he isn't going to be difficult to replace, and he's made enough money (unless he an idiot) that his family will be taken care of.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Clifford and Simmonds on Spezza's wing?

Probably a good call. Jets will want a "retribution" fight and I doubt anyone will actually challenge Spezza at this point in his career. It'll be Simmonds or Clifford. And having Simmonds in the line up can help with any extra fireworks that occur.

Just hope for no more injuries.

The Jets aren't that good so I suspect Keefe is reliant on his top 9 to be able to carry the load tonight and have the 4th line as the "muscle" if it's needed.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Ugh... Liljegren is definitely sitting once Boosh and Muzzin are back isn't he?
Actually, I'd think that suggests they trust Liljegren more to help out the call-up in Dahlstrom than they do Holl. Balancing their pairings so they can roll their Dmen out better, rather than hide their 3rd pairing all night. If anything I think it suggests Liljegren > Holl in the eyes of Keefe

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Absolutely nothing wrong with him. He's a victim of his 2 million dollar cap hit & the fact he's for the most part been outplayed by both Liljegren and Sandin this season. Instead of being happy about their progression, we look for the negative and attack the guy who got surpassed. Great situation we're in for playoffs if Holl is your #6 or #7 Dman
Agreed! I've cheered from him from the Marlies days and amen that we have young guys out playing him.
He does quite well, and then he has those moments where he looks like he's completely spaced out.

Like he's looking around the ice trying to figure out exactly what is going on and trying to remember what exactly does the puck look like?

Good thing he isn't going to be difficult to replace, and he's made enough money (unless he an idiot) that his family will be taken care of.
I don't think it's spaced out. His agility is bad so when he's out of position it's a tough correction for him to make. He knows what to do, his feet just won't do it

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed! I've cheered from him from the Marlies days and amen that we have young guys out playing him.

I don't think it's spaced out. His agility is bad so when he's out of position it's a tough correction for him to make. He knows what to do, his feet just won't do it
Speaking of lack of agility.

Drafted by Toronto Maple Leafs
- round 1 #7 overall 1987 NHL Entry Draft

1486 NHL games with little mobility.

Some just know how to hang in there.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Surrounding Spezz with protection on the 4th line tonight, love it.

As long as Blackwell sitting is a 1 time thing.
Keefe already told Blackwell it is and that he'll be back in next game. Said he's a leg up on the other 3 (Spezza, Simmonds, Clifford) and said he wanted to give those 3 another crack at the Jets since they were all in the lineup for that wild last game against them, in which we lost. Simmonds went after everyone(especially Stanley), Clifford fought, Spezza viciously went at Pionk with a knee to the head in retaliation for Sandin.....I hate that Blackwell is sitting, but I have to say I respect where Keefe is coming from here, and as a player im sure they appreciate that opportunity. I like how if Kase gets healthy, or Abruzzese impresses....Keefe is basically saying there is 1 job, at most 2, up for grabs....here's a rough opponent..which one of you wants it?

Reactions: AvroArrow

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's funny that people still don't realize how good Holl is.

Gio-Lilly has been awesome for sure, at around 80xgf% as the lightest used pairing. But the #1 pairing since the deadline, in all of TOI and quality of competition and dzone starts, has been Brodie-Holl....and they've been arguably even more impressive given that tougher usage - at around 65xgf% and 65gf%.
Narratives always die hard, just know what you know and don't sweat what others don't. It makes life a lot more enjoyable.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I agree with everything here. It's not about Holl's performance.

This issue I have is that Holl was knocked out of the last game with a head injury, and the entire bottom 4 are playing with unfamiliar partners.
Bottom line is Holl is a trusted PKer

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Listening to Keefe this morning - he's definitely challenging his 4th line.

Sounds like not only does he want them to be better, but he didn't sound too pleased about their lack of pushback in the December game.

If that's the case, the narrative that "Keefe doesn't want his guys fighting" dies as rapidly as it started.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Bottom line is Holl is a trusted PKer
He is. But I'm not sure how what I said meant that he isn't.

I never said to sit him. I said why create 2 unfamiliar pairings when it didn't have to happen.

There is a ton of reading into what I am saying through the lens of......a completely different narrative that people want to place on me.

Weird.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don’t have any real issue with Holl but if he was as good as people want you to believe, Keefe would rely on him to anchor a pair tonight, with two rookies in the lineup.
The young guys get 7 to 9 minutes while the other 4 haul the wagon for most of the night with 20+ minutes each

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Sounds like not only does he want them to be better, but he didn't sound too pleased about their lack of pushback in the December game.

If that's the case, the narrative that "Keefe doesn't want his guys fighting" dies as rapidly as it started.
I thought the 4th line was the only line that pushed back against the jets.

It's the rest of the lineup that went missing

Edit: also this is something Dubas tried to address in the off-season by adding Ritchie and Bunting higher in the lineup.

One worked out, the other didn't.

Scion

May 25, 2012

That was the Leafs most physical game of the year, and Wayne individually went after half of the Jets team, and Spezza got suspended 6 games for standing up for a teammate. You are reading into this wrong. The 4th line is playing precisely because of what they bring physically, if that were a question they wouldn't be in over Blackwell.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

He literally said in his interview "we're expecting it to be a physical game, we're hoping so". This team suddenly has a pulse and a swagger since the calendar hit March and we learned it's okay to stand your ground and push back. I don't know what switch flipped, but the last stretch of games have been some of the most enjoyable Leafs games I've watched in quite some time

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The young guys get 7 to 9 minutes while the other 4 haul the wagon for most of the night with 20+ minutes each
So 2 pairings at 26-27 minutes and one at 7-9?

Might as well play 4D like last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad