Speculation: Winnipeg Jets Jacob Trouba Possible Trades

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
He isn't a lot better than Trouba. Trouba even out scored him at even strength.

Ranked 122nd out of 124 DMan regulars in the NHL in on-ice sh%. That'll change. Anaheim had some weird stats going on last season.

Trouba is also very good. We have a limited sample of him playing without Stu but his numbers are very strong.

Just how much difference do you think there is between Trouba and Lindholm if not Lemieux? Petan? Is he worth more than Lemieux? If neither then name someone.

The three wingers and the goalie would be off limits for me. The rest not.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The premise "RHD are at premium" is flawed as hell. When you're trading with Edmonton or Boston, sure, they might pay up. When you're trading with Anaheim, they are not. They have Vatanen, Manson and Montour already. There's no glaring need for a RHD, which means that there isn't a glaring need to pay the premium.

And I agree with you, most Ducks fans overrate their defensemen to a ridiculous extent. But Lindholm is better than Trouba. What's the difference between a low end 1D and a low end 2D, I don't know exactly. I'd give them any forward prospect not named Laine, Connor or Ehlers, and then probably a mid pick. Nothing more than that.

I believe that is a general thing. Of course each team's needs differ at a specific time but it is always more difficult to find RHD than LHD. I'm not sure but I believe we are the only team with more NHL calibre RHD than LHD. Most often the imbalance is the other way around. RHD are generally left-handed. In the overall population right handers outnumber lefties ~10:1. I'm sure RHD:LHD is not that high but it might be more like 2 or 3 to 1.

If we solve our imbalance by trading Trouba for a LHD we could easily find ourselves with the opposite problem in just a few years.

You are making the value pretty close to what I am. I leave out the mid level pick. Never mind a RHD bonus, I don't think the difference is greater than a Lemieux or a Dano or F prospect of your choice (with those exclusions).

I agree Anaheim has no glaring need for a RHD but Manson is not demonstrated top 4 and Montour is still a prospect. They have more LHD strength than RHD in total. If they did a Trouba/Lindholm swap they still probably need to move a D for forward help and cap relief. We need to pay enough to encourage them to move.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
They have more LHD strength than RHD in total.

After Lindholm moves:

left: Fowler, Theodore, (Despres), Stoner, Jeff Schultz
right: Vatanen, Manson, (Despres), Bieksa, Montour, Holzer, Guenin

Despres can and does play both sides.
Don't know about more LHD strength. Fowler/Theodore vs Vatanen/Manson...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ranked 122nd out of 124 DMan regulars in the NHL in on-ice sh%. That'll change. Anaheim had some weird stats going on last season.

Do you mean any prospect not named Laine, Ehlers, Connor or Hellebuyck? I would add Morrissey to that list, though I don't think Anaheim would particularly want him. I would do that.

TBH I think we might well be overpaying at that but within reason. We might need to encourage Anaheim.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
What would Winnipeg want from New Jersey for trouba? We need someone to replace Larsson.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Do you mean any prospect not named Laine, Ehlers, Connor or Hellebuyck? I would add Morrissey to that list, though I don't think Anaheim would particularly want him. I would do that.

yeah, Morrissey didn't even occur to me, the Ducks sure have enough quality D prospects.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
After Lindholm moves:

left: Fowler, Theodore, (Despres), Stoner, Jeff Schultz
right: Vatanen, Manson, (Despres), Bieksa, Montour, Holzer, Guenin

Despres can and does play both sides.
Don't know about more LHD strength. Fowler/Theodore vs Vatanen/Manson...

You left out Larsson on the left. I guess it is close. With Lindholm they have more on the left. Swap Lindholm/Trouba and they have more on the right. Approximately. I don't think we need to go into rating each of those lesser pieces. :)

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
What would Winnipeg want from New Jersey for trouba? We need someone to replace Larsson.

Byfuglien, Trouba & Myers are all among the top 30 RHD in the league. No team realistically needs that amount of depth. The problem with the Jets it's they are among the league worst with LHD.

For the Jets to trade Myers, Byfuglien or Trouba, an equal level LHD would be the return. New Jersey doesn't a roster player or a prospect to match.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I like Pulj for Trouba and a different asset sent for a defenseman.

Just don't send Trouba to the Ducks for Fowler or to the Bruins for players/prospects.. I'd have to burn down the main boards.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Byfuglien, Trouba & Myers are all among the top 30 RHD in the league. No team realistically needs that amount of depth. The problem with the Jets it's they are among the league worst with LHD.

For the Jets to trade Myers, Byfuglien or Trouba, an equal level LHD would be the return. New Jersey doesn't a roster player or a prospect to match.

Sorry can't agree, Buff, Trouba and Myers aren't all top 30 RHD in the NHL. To be top 30 RHD in the NHL you're calling all three top pairing D......that's not right.

Buff yes top pairing no question.

Trouba top pairing at this exact moment? Very debatable, I would call him a #3 D with potential to be greater.

Myers is no way close to top pairing, he's closer to a #4 guy.....lucky if a #3 guy.

You're way over valuing Myers, over valuing Trouba some as well (at this exact moment).

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think if he wants out either trade him or sign him to a bridge contract and let him get claimed by Las Vegas.

Why would we allow him to be claimed when his trade value is high?

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010

Oh what the heck, just for fun:

Trouba, Stuart & Pavelec for Moore, Merrill, Wedgewood & a 1st round pick (NOT lottery protected) :popcorn:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I like Pulj for Trouba and a different asset sent for a defenseman.

Just don't send Trouba to the Ducks for Fowler or the Bruins. I'd have to burn down the main boards.

I don't see any scenario where trading Trouba to the Ducks gets us the Bruins. The Coyotes? Maybe, but not the Bruins. :D

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Sorry can't agree, Buff, Trouba and Myers aren't all top 30 RHD in the NHL. To be top 30 RHD in the NHL you're calling all three top pairing D......that's not right.

Buff yes top pairing no question.

Trouba top pairing at this exact moment? Very debatable, I would call him a #3 D with potential to be greater.

Myers is no way close to top pairing, he's closer to a #4 guy.....lucky if a #3 guy.

You're way over valuing Myers, over valuing Trouba some as well (at this exact moment).

Although this reasoning is flawed, bear with me. Pick any 5x5 stat. Goals, Points, SAT%....you get the idea. You'll find that all of Byfuglien, Myers & Trouba fall within the top 60 of essentially every category. When one does fail this test they still remain in the top 90.

With less than half of the defencemen in the league being RHD, that puts each in the top 30 in most cases & failing that the top 45.

Is this reasoning flawed. No disagreement. It's a oversimplification to push the point that the Jets are stacked with RHD.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Although this reasoning is flawed, bear with me. Pick any 5x5 stat. Goals, Points, SAT%....you get the idea. You'll find that all of Byfuglien, Myers & Trouba fall within the top 60 of essentially every category. When one does fail this test they still remain in the top 90.

With less than half of the defencemen in the league being RHD, that puts each in the top 30 in most cases & failing that the top 45.

Is this reasoning flawed. No disagreement. It's a oversimplification to push the point that the Jets are stacked with RHD.

I completely agree with are stacked with quality RHD, all three are top 4 easy. Buff is top pairing, top 10-20 RHD in the NHL IMO. I really interested seeing what Trouba can become if played with quality partner and quality ice time.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I completely agree with are stacked with quality RHD, all three are top 4 easy. Buff is top pairing, top 10-20 RHD in the NHL IMO. I really interested seeing what Trouba can become if played with quality partner and quality ice time.

It's really too bad Morrissey got injured for garbage time last season. Would of been nice to see him and Trouba paired up for a while

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

And Trouba won't always be playing on a league worst pp either and his sh% was 1.7% higher than Lindholm's. Not exactly a game changer

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's really too bad Morrissey got injured for garbage time last season. Would of been nice to see him and Trouba paired up for a while

Out of last season this was my biggest disappointment as far as lost opprotunity. I have no issues with how Josh has was deployed and I am not at all panicking about his development. I just thought his one game with the Jets looked miles better than what I had seen him flash with the parent club before and I think he was ready to show he belonged with the Jets almost similar to how Petan looked night and day in his second tour of duty. Oh well I think at some point Josh will get his shot this season and when he does he will be here to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad