Speculation: Winnipeg Jets Jacob Trouba Possible Trades

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Geez, I've seen better trades proposed by other fans on the trade boards! Perhaps I have Trouba overvalued but can you imagine the uproar if we traded Trouba & Burmi to TB for Kucerov (a forward we don't even want or need). gawd thats horrible.

Or Trouba, Petan, a 2nd, and Stuart to Edmonton for another guy we don't need (Nugent-Hopkins) and Nurse (a totally unproven prospect).

maybe its just me, but is this guy for real. And his last line -- Even though Kevin Chevaldayoff denied it, there is a very good chance that Trouba has played his last game in blue and white

Kucherov for Trouba & Burmi is a steal of a deal for us :laugh:, forward needs or not.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I agree with troubabooster. Trouba->Kucherov would be horrible deal for Jets.

I would have kept Ladd and Trouba, and traded Buffy(He is too often lazy on the d-zone) and Stafford. The outcome would have been better and more far-reaching.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Dont think jets trade trouba. Nor do i want jets to trade trouba. But if they did the only guy i would do it for is ristolainen in buffalo. Trouba back with his buddy bogo and ristolainen hooks up with his buddy laine.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think some people over rate Trouba. The value in those deals is pretty good (notwithstanding the poorly written article)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
These are the possible scenarios which could happen, in order from the most attractive to the least attratctive.

Trouba re-signed long term, no trade

Trouba traded for Lindholm due to cap reasons (I actually see this as a possibility)

Trouba re-signed to a bridge, no trade (for now)

Trouba traded for a LHD version of himself (very unlikely)

Trouba traded for an older replacement defenseman (codename Fowler)

Trouba traded for an absolute blue-chip defenseman prospect (codename Provorov)

Trouba traded for a young 1st liner/elite potential forward (codename Kucherov)

and then

any other scenario other than the above (Chevy should be fired immediately)

In order to get better, which must happen rather sooner than later, one of the first five scenarios must occur. Acquiring a can't miss D prospect for him is still acceptable, but it pushes our playoff dreams back by 2-3 years at best. The two at the bottom are just bad for us, no question about it.

If Trouba goes, 100% of the return must contribute to replacing the massive hole ASAP. No forwards, no goalies. Defense, and defense only as a return.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
To Arizona for:

Stone
Crouse
Rights to Rieder

Stone is a local guy that should resign after this year and doesn't need to be protected
Crouse can be sent back to the OHL for seasoning and is protected

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think some people over rate Trouba. The value in those deals is pretty good (notwithstanding the poorly written article)

Leave value aside - they don't address our needs. We need LHD. If Trouba is gone we really need LHD and we may need better RHD in the pipeline as well. But we really need GOOD LHD. Nurse isn't it. He may just not be ready yet or he may be a bust but right now he does not look good at all. Chychrun may be the LHD we need but there is a lot of uncertainty attached there and he is at least another year away, probably 2 before he can contribute.

If we trade Trouba we need to get back a D of similar quality. If we settle for a prospect instead he has to be pretty much gold-plated and high end.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
To Arizona for:

Stone
Crouse
Rights to Rieder

Stone is a local guy that should resign after this year and doesn't need to be protected
Crouse can be sent back to the OHL for seasoning and is protected

Awful, AWFUL. Horrible. Disgusting. Insulting. WTF.

Crouse = redundant. Rieder = redundant. Stone = injured as hell, one year from UFA. RHD. Makes 4 million. We would add cap by doing this.

In short, it's a f***ing awful deal for us.

I wonder why about 70 of your 78 posts are about trading Trouba...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
These are the possible scenarios which could happen, in order from the most attractive to the least attratctive.

Trouba re-signed long term, no trade

Trouba traded for Lindholm due to cap reasons (I actually see this as a possibility)

Trouba re-signed to a bridge, no trade (for now)

Trouba traded for a LHD version of himself (very unlikely)

Trouba traded for an older replacement defenseman (codename Fowler)

Trouba traded for an absolute blue-chip defenseman prospect (codename Provorov)

Trouba traded for a young 1st liner/elite potential forward (codename Kucherov)

and then

any other scenario other than the above (Chevy should be fired immediately)

In order to get better, which must happen rather sooner than later, one of the first five scenarios must occur. Acquiring a can't miss D prospect for him is still acceptable, but it pushes our playoff dreams back by 2-3 years at best. The two at the bottom are just bad for us, no question about it.

If Trouba goes, 100% of the return must contribute to replacing the massive hole ASAP. No forwards, no goalies. Defense, and defense only as a return.

Playing along walk me through your Lindholm scenario and the reasoning. What would you see that deal structure components...... and what are both contracts when the smoke settles?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Playing along walk me through your Lindholm scenario and the reasoning. What would you see that deal structure components...... and what are both contracts when the smoke settles?

Probably the same as if they were signed by the ducks. I would imagine if we were to initiate the trade we would have to add slightly.

However, after looking at the numbers...I don't think that Lindholm is better than Trouba...and I actually think that Trouba will be better than Lindholm in the future.

If we were absolutely forced to trade Trouba...I wouldnt hate this return because I believe what other people have said in this thread. We need a comparable piece to Trouba, and I don't think we should be afraid to add a bit to get it.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Ranger fan coming in peace...

What are the realistic chances that Trouba is available in a trade? If he is signed long term, does that make Myers available?

And finally is there significant pressure on the Jets management to win now rather than in the future?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

As it stands, Anaheim can't sign Lindholm to a long term deal AND then sign Rakell without shedding cap first. They have to sign both of them to bridge deals, if nothing changes. This doesn't go well with having Lindholm, who absolutely has earned the long term security Anaheim can't give him. Winnipeg has the cap space to extend him for 6+ years, and Trouba could cash in big time, should he sign a bridge deal now and play two years next to Fowler. He'd get big minutes as their 1D. Lindholm slots in right where we all want Trouba to be playing.

We need to add, no question. We have a lot of young forward depth, which saves money for Anaheim and helps them ice a deep team. That's my thought process.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I'd love a Trouba for Lindholm swap. Ducks could use a young RD & we all know the Jets need an LD. They're the same age from the same draft class, & both RFA's. I'm pretty sure the Ducks would want an add for any trade to occur.

Probably the same as if they were signed by the ducks. I would imagine if we were to initiate the trade we would have to add slightly.

However, after looking at the numbers...I don't think that Lindholm is better than Trouba...and I actually think that Trouba will be better than Lindholm in the future.

If we were absolutely forced to trade Trouba...I wouldnt hate this return because I believe what other people have said in this thread. We need a comparable piece to Trouba, and I don't think we should be afraid to add a bit to get it.

View attachment 91473

Looks pretty similar, with an edge to Lindholm.

Ducks also have Theodore to replace him at LD who proved at the AHL & NHL level last season that he can be the offensive force he was in junior.

I'd assume the trade would occur with each team negotiating fresh with the newly acquired player

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ranger fan coming in peace...

What are the realistic chances that Trouba is available in a trade? If he is signed long term, does that make Myers available?

And finally is there significant pressure on the Jets management to win now rather than in the future?

Depends on the return. In theory everyone is available for the right price. One of Trouba or Myers, preferrably Myers should be available but Chevy's priorities are hard to read.

The Jets management are under almost zero pressure to win now. That will change sharply by the '17/'18 season IMO but not this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As it stands, Anaheim can't sign Lindholm to a long term deal AND then sign Rakell without shedding cap first. They have to sign both of them to bridge deals, if nothing changes. This doesn't go well with having Lindholm, who absolutely has earned the long term security Anaheim can't give him. Winnipeg has the cap space to extend him for 6+ years, and Trouba could cash in big time, should he sign a bridge deal now and play two years next to Fowler. He'd get big minutes as their 1D. Lindholm slots in right where we all want Trouba to be playing.

We need to add, no question. We have a lot of young forward depth, which saves money for Anaheim and helps them ice a deep team. That's my thought process.

The question is exactly what should that add be. My thinking is that RHD are at a premium. That alone covers a piece of the difference between the 2. So what more should it take? I'm not asking what Ducks fans would want because they think all of their D are Bobby Orr clones. What should it reasonably take? I'm thinking Lemieux. That might be a bit high though but if not him maybe it goes to picks.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The question is exactly what should that add be. My thinking is that RHD are at a premium. That alone covers a piece of the difference between the 2. So what more should it take? I'm not asking what Ducks fans would want because they think all of their D are Bobby Orr clones. What should it reasonably take? I'm thinking Lemieux. That might be a bit high though but if not him maybe it goes to picks.

Lindholm is very good. Like really very good. That offer doesn't reflect that.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

The premise "RHD are at premium" is flawed as hell. When you're trading with Edmonton or Boston, sure, they might pay up. When you're trading with Anaheim, they are not. They have Vatanen, Manson and Montour already. There's no glaring need for a RHD, which means that there isn't a glaring need to pay the premium.

And I agree with you, most Ducks fans overrate their defensemen to a ridiculous extent. But Lindholm is better than Trouba. What's the difference between a low end 1D and a low end 2D, I don't know exactly. I'd give them any forward prospect not named Laine, Connor or Ehlers, and then probably a mid pick. Nothing more than that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lindholm is very good. Like really very good. That offer doesn't reflect that.

Trouba is also very good. We have a limited sample of him playing without Stu but his numbers are very strong.

Just how much difference do you think there is between Trouba and Lindholm if not Lemieux? Petan? Is he (Petan) worth more than Lemieux? If neither then name someone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad