1. Bob Essensa 14
2. Connor Hellebuyck 11
2. Ondrej Pavelec 11
4. Daniel Berthiaume 4
5. Michael Hutchinson 3
5. Al Montoya 3

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
That trade ranks as one of the worst in History..what makes it so much worse is that the whole trade was orchestrated by the new ownership group in Phoenix. Jets fans who were already loosing their team had their franchise player taken away and never had a chance to say goodbye

I think thats when I stopped watching hockey. 2 years later it was the NFL that I gave up on when the vikes lost to the falcons in their conference finals.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I think thats when I stopped watching hockey. 2 years later it was the NFL that I gave up on when the vikes lost to the falcons in their conference finals.

I never stopped watching hockey but my loyalties sure changed..I never became a Coyotee fan in fact I was so hurt by everything I ended up hating the franchise for years.
My team ended up being Team Canada be it Juniors, world championships/World Cup, Spengler, Olympics...Team Canada was really the only Team I had any passion for until the Jets came back

Reactions: antiqueslivers

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
aaah okay I change my stance that is exactly what I ended up doing... no nhl but yeah was always all over the international games. I too developed a deep loathing for the coyotes franchise... childish you bet but whatever. Also had a chip on my shoulder with doan and tkuchuck or however you spell it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That trade ranks as one of the worst in History..what makes it so much worse is that the whole trade was orchestrated by the new ownership group in Phoenix. Jets fans who were already loosing their team had their franchise player taken away and never had a chance to say goodbye

And why did that new ownership want to cripple the team they were getting? :huh: :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Shake your head all you want, they would have crippled the team financially if they kept Selanne and Tkachuck.

In Wpg. yes. That's why they had to move to where money wasn't going to be a problem. The fact that didn't work out shouldn't have been an impediment before they even moved. Then there is the value they got in return. :shakehead

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
In Wpg. yes. That's why they had to move to where money wasn't going to be a problem. The fact that didn't work out shouldn't have been an impediment before they even moved. Then there is the value they got in return. :shakehead
If I remember correctly, I believe it did come down to money. Both Tkachuk and Sellane were up for new contracts (and huge raises). The new owners, felt the need to choose between one or the other. They went with keeping Tkachuk due to the fact they felt that having an American as the face of the franchise, would allow the new fans to connect better. He was also mych easier to market to a new to the sport fanbase.

They also went out and acquired Roenick for the same reason.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If I remember correctly, I believe it did come down to money. Both Tkachuk and Sellane were up for new contracts (and huge raises). The new owners, felt the need to choose between one or the other. They went with keeping Tkachuk due to the fact they felt that having an American as the face of the franchise, would allow the new fans to connect better. He was also mych easier to market to a new to the sport fanbase.

I remember that money was the reason. At the time I thought it was the Jets who couldn't afford him, which actually made some sense. Later I found out it was the new owners, which didn't make sense. And that doesn't begin to explain the horrible return.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

The story I heard, and I think it was John Paddock who recounted the tale, was that the new owners didn't want 3 guys making over $1M - Tkachuk, Selanne and Zhamnov. So he was told to move one.

Tkachuk couldn't be moved, though - he signed an offer sheet from the Blackhawks at the beginning of the season (that paid him $6M that year - it was a poison pill to try to scare off the financially strapped Jets in their lame duck last season in Winnipeg). The Jets matched and signed Tkachuk...but the offer sheet rules were the same back then as they are now: the team that matches the offer cannot trade the player for one calendar year.

So it came down to Zhamnov or Selanne and I guess Paddock thought that Selanne was the one to move - because I believe there was some concern about a long term injury I think? But maybe that was the best deal he could get. Whatever the case, it was just salt in the wound for Jets fans in that last year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We're as far in time from Selanne's rookie season as Selanne's rookie season was from the Beatles' White Album...

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We're as far in time from Selanne's rookie season as Selanne's rookie season was from the Beatles' White Album...
The White Album is turning 50! This calls for my favorite track from it:

I was watching some real crap footage of the hat trick on YouTube for no real reason last night, I had no clue it was 25 years ago today!

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Here's how it should work. The old Jets history should be transferred to the new Jets, but they also keep the Thrashers history. What this would mean is that the Jets suspended operations in 1996, were purchased by Time Warner in 1997 and moved to Atlanta, and resumed play in 1999 as the Thrashers, then returned to Winnipeg in 2011 and became the Jets once again under True North ownership.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
^----

People need to get over this and stop bringing it up every 6 months. the NHL IS NEVER giving the Jets 1.0 history back to the Jets 2.0. What "should" be done is not what "will" be done. It's not how the NHL operates.

But, we have the memories and we can celebrate them however we want. It will just never be official.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
^----

People need to get over this and stop bringing it up every 6 months. the NHL IS NEVER giving the Jets 1.0 history back to the Jets 2.0. What "should" be done is not what "will" be done. It's not how the NHL operates.

But, we have the memories and we can celebrate them however we want. It will just never be official.
Ok Boss.

Reactions: HannuJ

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
So it came down to Zhamnov or Selanne and I guess Paddock thought that Selanne was the one to move - because I believe there was some concern about a long term injury I think? But maybe that was the best deal he could get. Whatever the case, it was just salt in the wound for Jets fans in that last year.

I recall being happy that Selanne was getting out and not going to Arizona. Would have loved it if we had traded a bunch of players for scraps the year before.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
^----

Want to place a bet on that? If True North petitions the NHL for the Jets official history, they will receive it.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The story I heard, and I think it was John Paddock who recounted the tale, was that the new owners didn't want 3 guys making over $1M - Tkachuk, Selanne and Zhamnov. So he was told to move one.

It's ironic that they were told to move one - which ended up being Selänne - and then traded Zhamnov in the summer of 1996 before the team actually played a game as the Coyotes.

The new owners were rather short-sighted as they had the nucleus (Selänne, Zhamnov and Tkachuk) for what could have been a great team.

It's still disappointing that we lost that team as they were quite exciting to watch. It would have been interesting to see what they could have achieved had they remained intact.

:jets

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
The White Album is turning 50! This calls for my favorite track from it:

I was watching some real crap footage of the hat trick on YouTube for no real reason last night, I had no clue it was 25 years ago today!

Great song-John’s songs were great on the White Album. Wait..Revolution 9!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad