OT: Winnipeg ICE 2021-2022 [ICE @ Brandon Fri Dec 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Last night's win is an even more impressive accomplishment considering that the team's most potent offensive weapon, Connor McClennon, got a misconduct a minute into the game.

Hauser was phenomenal, the ICE are lucky to have two top notch goalies and that might be the factor that pushes them deep into the playoffs this season.

Awesome game by Savoie, he didn't score any goals but he was making plays left right and centre, getting into the corners and winning puck battles. Not sure if he's just becoming more comfortable with WHL hockey or what but he looks more confident and maybe as a result of that, more aggressive.

As far as the record goes, I found a reference to the 88-89 SC Broncos (eventual Memorial Cup champions) winning 12 in a row, and that being the second longest win streak to start a season. I have no idea what the longest one, is though.

Big showdown vs. Edmonton looms. This will be a huge measuring stick game for the ICE.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Considering the ICE's last two games vs. Edmonton in 2020 were 5-0 and 10-1 losses, at least this is progress!

The ICE carried a lead for much of the game and it felt very winnable which makes the loss sting, but these things are gonna happen. Onward and upward in Lethbridge tonight.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Nasty game by the Rebels last night, they managed to take out two guys on the ICE's top line, Owen Pederson and Connor McClennon. McClennon in particular took a vicious knee that had him go down looking like he'd been shot. The trouble with that approach is that the ICE have incredible depth, so some of the less heralded guys stepped up. There were some highlight reel goals by the ICE too, capped off with Chase Bertholet's spectacular end to end rush.

With the way these things go, I would expect Prosofsky to be back in the lineup on Sunday for the second game against Red Deer. Things could get a little rough. Red Deer is a solid team, though. That was probably the toughest test at home this season for the ICE.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The league’s two top rookie scorers are housed in Winnipeg, with 2022 NHL draft hopeful Matthew Savoie leading the way with six goals and 21 points, five more than Benson who was played five fewer games.

And despite not producing his best effort after stopping 20 of 25, Alexander ranks seventh in the league with a 2.15 goals-against average. Backup Daniel Hauser is ranked second with a 1.63, undefeated with an 8-0-0 record.

Incredible season start for Ice still has its slippery moments | Winnipeg Sun

ws20211108kk18.jpg

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
ICYMI: Any unused tickets from so far this season can be used as admission to Sunday night's game.

The question, however, is how can they determine if you have any unused (digital) tickets on your online account? I logged on, and I don't see my legacy tickets on my account - only my order history. (I did win some of those guess the first goal contests on social media; they give me a pair, but I've always only needed one.) I guess they still offer paper tickets at the box office?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
ICYMI: Any unused tickets from so far this season can be used as admission to Sunday night's game.

The question, however, is how can they determine if you have any unused (digital) tickets on your online account? I logged on, and I don't see my legacy tickets on my account - only my order history. (I did win some of those guess the first goal contests on social media; they give me a pair, but I've always only needed one.) I guess they still offer paper tickets at the box office?

Yep you can walk up and buy. I did that when I went earlier this season.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Four point night for Geekie. Two goals for Smallwood. Milne stole the show with his slick moves. Shutout for Hauser.

The ICE ran away with this one in the second. I'm not sure if the fatigue of three games in three nights plus the travel caught up with the Blades, but they looked like they just wanted to get it over with, at least compared to last night.

I'm running out of words to describe this epic ICE team. I know it isn't easy for them winning game after game, but man they sure make it look that way.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Four point night for Geekie. Two goals for Smallwood. Milne stole the show with his slick moves. Shutout for Hauser.

The ICE ran away with this one in the second. I'm not sure if the fatigue of three games in three nights plus the travel caught up with the Blades, but they looked like they just wanted to get it over with, at least compared to last night.

I'm running out of words to describe this epic ICE team. I know it isn't easy for them winning game after game, but man they sure make it look that way.

The ICE are only playing teams in the Eastern Conference due to COVID.

Clearly, the teams we are playing, with the exception of Edmonton, are rebuilding.

It will be interesting to see how the ICE preform against better competition when they get to the playoffs and hopefully the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The ICE are only playing teams in the Eastern Conference due to COVID.

Clearly, the teams we are playing, with the exception of Edmonton, are rebuilding.

It will be interesting to see how the ICE preform against better competition when they get to the playoffs and hopefully the Memorial Cup.

In addition to Edmonton who have actually beaten the ICE this season, I think that a healthy Brandon team (unlike the depleted version the ICE played at the start of the season) could give the ICE a good fight. Red Deer also plays a tough, physical game that could be challenging for the ICE in a playoff series. Even Moose Jaw had some moments against the ICE. But I would agree that Edmonton is the only serious challenger within the conference right now.

I'll be curious to see if the ICE feel the need to make any big trades this season. Unlike the last couple of years when they needed to shore up the back end, they look pretty good defensively this season. But that said, if they were looking to add a player that's probably where I'd put them... one solid 18/19 year old defenseman ready to step in and contribute now. Kind of like with the Barteaux addition in 2020.

Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
In addition to Edmonton who have actually beaten the ICE this season, I think that a healthy Brandon team (unlike the depleted version the ICE played at the start of the season) could give the ICE a good fight. Red Deer also plays a tough, physical game that could be challenging for the ICE in a playoff series. Even Moose Jaw had some moments against the ICE. But I would agree that Edmonton is the only serious challenger within the conference right now.

I'll be curious to see if the ICE feel the need to make any big trades this season. Unlike the last couple of years when they needed to shore up the back end, they look pretty good defensively this season. But that said, if they were looking to add a player that's probably where I'd put them... one solid 18/19 year old defenseman ready to step in and contribute now. Kind of like with the Barteaux addition in 2020.

I think the ICE will definitely load up for the playoffs.

Winning the Memorial Cup is hard so you have to give yourself every opportunity to field the best team.

Also, winning the Memorial Cup would go a long way to helping get a new building built and increasing their fan base.

Reactions: jetsmooseice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad