OT: Winnipeg ICE 2021-2022 [ICE @ Brandon Fri Dec 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Tough L for the ICE last night. Orzeck said on the post game interview that they had a few bad bounces which is true, but at the same time Edmonton also came unbelievably close to scoring on a few occasions but the ICE got their share of lucky breaks there.

Bottom line is that Edmonton just has size and toughness especially on defence that the ICE can't match, even more so with Guhle in their lineup. That gave them the edge. Jack Finley will help narrow that gap but he's not here this week, and after Saturday's game the ICE don't play Edmonton again until February.

Special teams were also a bit of a sore spot, ICE went oh-for on their PPs and gave up 3 SHGs. Not good. The ill-timed Swan major in the 3rd ended up doing the ICE in. Alexander was lights-out for the ICE and did everything he could to keep the game close.

I think the ICE could beat the Oil Kings in a playoff series but there are going to be a couple of necessary changes. First, a rugged defenceman. Second, better discipline... the ICE take too many penalties in general which is fine against the bottom feeding teams, but it breaks your back against a top team like Edmonton. Also on the special teams front, the ICE PP is normally a strong suit but it looked disorganized last night. Edmonton is just that good defensively.

Great atmosphere again last night with the fans into it, the game was exciting and fun to watch but it was ultimately a reality check for the home team. I'm sure we will see the Oil Kings take the #1 spot in the CHL rankings next week.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Tough L for the ICE last night. Orzeck said on the post game interview that they had a few bad bounces which is true, but at the same time Edmonton also came unbelievably close to scoring on a few occasions but the ICE got their share of lucky breaks there.

Bottom line is that Edmonton just has size and toughness especially on defence that the ICE can't match, even more so with Guhle in their lineup. That gave them the edge. Jack Finley will help narrow that gap but he's not here this week, and after Saturday's game the ICE don't play Edmonton again until February.

Special teams were also a bit of a sore spot, ICE went oh-for on their PPs and gave up 3 SHGs. Not good. The ill-timed Swan major in the 3rd ended up doing the ICE in. Alexander was lights-out for the ICE and did everything he could to keep the game close.

I think the ICE could beat the Oil Kings in a playoff series but there are going to be a couple of necessary changes. First, a rugged defenceman. Second, better discipline... the ICE take too many penalties in general which is fine against the bottom feeding teams, but it breaks your back against a top team like Edmonton. Also on the special teams front, the ICE PP is normally a strong suit but it looked disorganized last night. Edmonton is just that good defensively.

Great atmosphere again last night with the fans into it, the game was exciting and fun to watch but it was ultimately a reality check for the home team. I'm sure we will see the Oil Kings take the #1 spot in the CHL rankings next week.
The Swam penalty was a back breaker. Bit of a sell job by Guhle, for sure. But you can’t take a penalty like that especially after you just gave up a PP goal.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The Swam penalty was a back breaker. Bit of a sell job by Guhle, for sure. But you can’t take a penalty like that especially after you just gave up a PP goal.

Guhle has the ICE's number. He was instrumental when PA beat the ICE in OT a week and a half ago, and he was front and centre again last night for his new team. It's easy to see why he is the best defenseman in the league. McClennon in particular seems to get worked up when Guhle's around.

In other news, the WHL Prospects Draft starts right now. Will be interesting to see who the ICE select.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Guhle has the ICE's number. He was instrumental when PA beat the ICE in OT a week and a half ago, and he was front and centre again last night for his new team. It's easy to see why he is the best defenseman in the league. McClennon in particular seems to get worked up when Guhle's around.

In other news, the WHL Prospects Draft starts right now. Will be interesting to see who the ICE select.
What pick do they have?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Poor 1st tonight, better 2nd, clearly the better team in the 3rd. Savoie took over.

I also learned the WHL has a Teddy Bear Rule in which, if the period has 5 minutes or less to go and a teddy bear toss occurs, the period ends and they finish it out at the start of the next period.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Kind of felt like winning a preseason game with the Oil Kings' four best players having left for Team Canada camp at the WJHC. Although mind you it's not like Wednesday was a clear best on best matchup either with Lambos out and Finley not able to make it in time.

Zloty scored as per Teddy Bear Toss game tradition but I thought he had an uncharacteristically bad game defensively, there were a fair number of turnovers and botched passes.

Reactions: Guardian17

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Kind of felt like winning a preseason game with the Oil Kings' four best players having left for Team Canada camp at the WJHC. Although mind you it's not like Wednesday was a clear best on best matchup either with Lambos out and Finley not able to make it in time.

Zloty scored as per Teddy Bear Toss game tradition but I thought he had an uncharacteristically bad game defensively, there were a fair number of turnovers and botched passes.

I actually commented in the 1st to my friend that he was really bad, gave up the puck at his own blueline a couple of times on the PP. Nice goal though.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It looked like they had a full house which is nice to see.

FGbJ4bMXoA4uaGV

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
It looked like they had a full house which is nice to see.

Yeah, it was a legit full house yesterday which is not that common in spite of what the announced attendances are. The place was packed and the atmosphere was great, especially with the Teddy Bear hoopla. Fans were really into it the whole game.

I brought a couple of people to their first ICE game yesterday and they were impressed, they had no idea it would be like that.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Yeah, it was a legit full house yesterday which is not that common in spite of what the announced attendances are. The place was packed and the atmosphere was great, especially with the Teddy Bear hoopla. Fans were really into it the whole game.

I brought a couple of people to their first ICE game yesterday and they were impressed, they had no idea it would be like that.
That's interesting given that a Moose game (this team is also good this year, and with their own Teddy Bear Toss) was taking place at the same time.

This feels like when Manitoba Hydro and the Jaycees used to have duelling Santa Claus parades in downtown Winnipeg.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Hats off to Carson Lambos for making the Team Canada WJHC roster.

I guess Jack Finley will be joining up with the team now? I wonder if he will be on this week's road trip that starts tomorrow in PA?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The ICE are in a full on slump. Obviously they have a pretty big cushion in the standings but they've been losing more than they've been winning lately with 4 losses in their last 6 games.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The ICE traded Czech D Martin Bohm and a 2024 6th rounder to Seattle for fellow import F Alessandro Segafredo.

I was not really expecting the ICE to trade away defencemen considering how desperately they need more defensive depth. I'd be curious to know what the issue was... Bohm has been on the shelf for a month due to injury but I wonder if he just wasn't fitting in or measuring up? He didn't look terrible to me, he did the things you'd expect a defenceman to do, but something clearly wasn't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad