OT: Winnipeg ICE 2021-2022 [ICE @ Brandon Fri Dec 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Going to get my first look at Savoie and the ICE tomorrow and then the showcase game on Sunday. Very excited.

Reactions: Daximus

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Also, save from hate for the Lethbridge Hurricanes who used to be the Calgary Wranglers, Winnipeg Monarchs, Winnipeg Clubs and the Winnipeg Junior Jets.

Winnipeg Monarchs (WHL) - Wikipedia

Ah yes, the Clubs. A bad team named after a bad beer. Even adopted their logo. Talk about product placement. :laugh: However, I can only hate the city that stole our teams directly. I will leave it to Calgarites to hate Lethbridge. Just as I will leave it to Phoenixians (or would it be the Glendalers?) to hate Houston. ;)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I would like to attend their rookie camp but currently at the lake, but curious to know who stood out and how Geekie and Savoie looked.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I was at the game today. Some quick thoughts

-Liked the rink. Nice place to watch a game and I will probably be out there more this year to watch RHA a few times since I live fairly close
- Savoie was awesome. Clearly can play in the WHL now. Maybe the best player on his team
- Kinder surprised me. Knew nothing about him, thought he looked good out there
- Michael Milne was another guy that stood out for me
- Lambos was a rock out there already
- Young team. I know people are excited by them but I expect them to be mid to bottom in the east. They should be better this year with the players they brought in to support the young group but there are building around Savoie,Geekie,Lambos etc...so they are at least a year away

Geekie did not play. Neither did Mclennon or Teply both of whom I was interested in seeing

Whoever the guy sitting up the stands near the middle on his phone on HFJets. I was trying to get your attention but you were focused in on something pretty hard LOL

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks all for the wealth of info in this thread. Really looking forward to watching the Ice -- and feel like I know so much more now about the team, as well as about which dimly-remembered olde-tyme franchises, venues and obscure beer brands I should remember to hate on behalf of the city of Winnipeg.

Reactions: Guardian17

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I was at the game today. Some quick thoughts

-Liked the rink. Nice place to watch a game and I will probably be out there more this year to watch RHA a few times since I live fairly close
- Savoie was awesome. Clearly can play in the WHL now. Maybe the best player on his team
- Kinder surprised me. Knew nothing about him, thought he looked good out there
- Michael Milne was another guy that stood out for me
- Lambos was a rock out there already
- Young team. I know people are excited by them but I expect them to be mid to bottom in the east. They should be better this year with the players they brought in to support the young group but there are building around Savoie,Geekie,Lambos etc...so they are at least a year away

Geekie did not play. Neither did Mclennon or Teply both of whom I was interested in seeing

Whoever the guy sitting up the stands near the middle on his phone on HFJets. I was trying to get your attention but you were focused in on something pretty hard LOL

Couple of your points here:
- Was the best player* (He could've had 5 goals and 3 assists)
- Lambos was far and away the best player in this game and probably the entire weekend. The kid is unbelievable. Makes every play look effortless, super patient. Breaks out amazingly, and I love watching him skate with the puck. This kid is going to be the top defenenceman in the WHL sooner rather than later. HOT TAKE ALERT: Bowen Byram scored 27 points in his D-1 season, Lambos is going to easily pass that.
- I couldn't disagree with this take more, I'm not looking to get into an argument or debate, but, the skill and development of this team is insane. You simply can't look at last year and try to gauge where you think they'll finish this season, this is a completely different team.

In one year you add: Lambos (who honestly is a borderline top pair WHL dman already in my opinion), Savoie (who is better than anyone in the ICE's bottom 9 forwards last season as a 15/16 year old already), Teply (who is a behemoth and a man amongst boys at this level), Kinder (who, if camp is any indication [were gonna wait until preseason] is going to surprise), and Isaac Johnson (overager who had a point per game last 2 years of junior).

Then you can count on growth from Krebs, McClennon, Hartje (who I think is going to really surprise and have a big year this year), Makaj, Milne and some of the other vets.

The amount of talent they're adding in one season is phenomenal. The only team with more talent in their division is Saskatoon. The Wheat Kings are close too, but I give the edge to the ICE (maybe I'm a homer> ;P)

- I think next year is when their championship window opens for at least a few seasons (Savoie will likely only be here 2 more seasons)

IMO, if they miss the playoffs I would be shocked.

Those arent even my full training camp thoughts. I may have to make a blog post for that haha

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Couple of your points here:
- Was the best player* (He could've had 5 goals and 3 assists)
- Lambos was far and away the best player in this game and probably the entire weekend. The kid is unbelievable. Makes every play look effortless, super patient. Breaks out amazingly, and I love watching him skate with the puck. This kid is going to be the top defenenceman in the WHL sooner rather than later. HOT TAKE ALERT: Bowen Byram scored 27 points in his D-1 season, Lambos is going to easily pass that.
- I couldn't disagree with this take more, I'm not looking to get into an argument or debate, but, the skill and development of this team is insane. You simply can't look at last year and try to gauge where you think they'll finish this season, this is a completely different team.

In one year you add: Lambos (who honestly is a borderline top pair WHL dman already in my opinion), Savoie (who is better than anyone in the ICE's bottom 9 forwards last season as a 15/16 year old already), Teply (who is a behemoth and a man amongst boys at this level), Kinder (who, if camp is any indication [were gonna wait until preseason] is going to surprise), and Isaac Johnson (overager who had a point per game last 2 years of junior).

Then you can count on growth from Krebs, McClennon, Hartje (who I think is going to really surprise and have a big year this year), Makaj, Milne and some of the other vets.

The amount of talent they're adding in one season is phenomenal. The only team with more talent in their division is Saskatoon. The Wheat Kings are close too, but I give the edge to the ICE (maybe I'm a homer> ;P)

- I think next year is when their championship window opens for at least a few seasons (Savoie will likely only be here 2 more seasons)

IMO, if they miss the playoffs I would be shocked.

Those arent even my full training camp thoughts. I may have to make a blog post for that haha

I think everyone and their dog would be shocked if they miss the playoffs (only 6 teams in the entire league do)., 4 of those teams being from the East. With how many teams took a big step back I think it's a pretty easy make for them even without Savoie.

I'd also be really hesitant to crown anything based off of inter-squad camp games and even preseason games. I've seen boatloads of kids do well in preseason until the physicality ramps up and they all the sudden can't keep up. With that being said Lambos is a damn good talent and he could easily be just as good as Byram was by his draft year. Remember that Byram finished as one of the top scoring WHL defencemen of all time when you combine regular season and playoffs.

The East has at least 3 contenders for the EC Cup. Calgary, who has also loaded up on talent. Saskatoon who will be heavily leaning on Dach returning and Edmonton who is getting a big injection of youth. Otherwise most teams are either bubble teams or gunning for the basement. For me the Ice seem to fall into the top of the bubble category but if I had to rank them I'd say they look like they could be the 4th to 6th best team coming out of the East this year.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I think everyone and their dog would be shocked if they miss the playoffs (only 6 teams in the entire league do)., 4 of those teams being from the East. With how many teams took a big step back I think it's a pretty easy make for them even without Savoie.

I'd also be really hesitant to crown anything based off of inter-squad camp games and even preseason games. I've seen boatloads of kids do well in preseason until the physicality ramps up and they all the sudden can't keep up. With that being said Lambos is a damn good talent and he could easily be just as good as Byram was by his draft year. Remember that Byram finished as one of the top scoring WHL defencemen of all time when you combine regular season and playoffs.

The East has at least 3 contenders for the EC Cup. Calgary, who has also loaded up on talent. Saskatoon who will be heavily leaning on Dach returning and Edmonton who is getting a big injection of youth. Otherwise most teams are either bubble teams or gunning for the basement. For me the Ice seem to fall into the top of the bubble category but if I had to rank them I'd say they look like they could be the 4th to 6th best team coming out of the East this year.

I'm well aware of how good Byram was in the WHL. And I was basing "missing the playoffs" on the previous poster saying they might finish towards the bottom of the east division.
While I do I see where youre coming from, I'm basing my predictions off of individual track records. Lambos was the best dman at U17 camp this summer too. Obviously I would like to see some games first but on paper this team is way better.
Plus, if youre basing it solely on division, the ICE are the second best team in the East Division.

I'm hopeful I'm right, either way, DROP THE DANG PUCK!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Boy, it's going to be so great hearing about all these great prospects that will probably never play for the Jets. :sarcasm:

Reactions: FFHockey

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm well aware of how good Byram was in the WHL. And I was basing "missing the playoffs" on the previous poster saying they might finish towards the bottom of the east division.
While I do I see where youre coming from, I'm basing my predictions off of individual track records. Lambos was the best dman at U17 camp this summer too. Obviously I would like to see some games first but on paper this team is way better.
Plus, if youre basing it solely on division, the ICE are the second best team in the East Division.

I'm hopeful I'm right, either way, DROP THE DANG PUCK!

Lambos was great but I wouldn't say the best dman at u17 dev camp. Brandt Clarke was notably better IMO and Cam Whynot wasn't to bad himself. Clarke is consistently ranked above Lambos at this stage and Whynot is either ahead or minimally behind in most rankings.

East Division wise I'll guess it will shape up like this..

1. Saskatoon (especially if Dach is back)
2/3. Brandon/Winnipeg (these two will likely fight it out for 2 and 3)
4. Regina (They'll be a physical and gritty team that may be able to impose their will on some smaller teams and could surprise)
5. Moose Jaw (Alarie and Tracey's continued development is the wild card, they could both be up for big seasons but I think the Warriors miss out on playoffs)
6. Prince Albert (Lost a tonne of talent and starting a rebuild)

But I agree drop the damn puck already! I don't think I've ever been more excited for a dub season in my life with such a big infusion of elite talent recently.

Reactions: LainePeg

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
A long time Junior watcher, I try not to get too pumped up about training camps and exhibition games. Seen too many players dominate then when the season starts they have trouble especially the 16 year old kids. The season is a grind and the travel is brutal. Remember they are not flying around they are busing to play 3 games in 3 nights a lot of the year.

I agree with Dax about who will finish where. The Blades will finish 1st. I think Brandon has a lot of talent and with Dave Lowry as coach they could be a force. Winnipeg has a lot of talent but they are coming off a real horrid season. I expect them to win more but I am holding back my optimism till I see how the youth actually does in a real game situation. Regina/MJ/PA again it will be a crapshoot there. I actually think PA will be ok this season though, they will lose a lot of players but they have some real talent left.

Lambos is a rock but I have to see how he will perform offensively to be seen as the the best D man for his age. Brandt Clarke is pretty special player too. I like watching Lambos though the kid is special.

I don't want to hype train Savoie either but the kid is just incredible. Excited to see what he can as a 15 year old this year.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Cool to see that Savoie will be playing with the team, maybe the Jets can draft some ICE guys soon

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
e
Lambos was great but I wouldn't say the best dman at u17 dev camp. Brandt Clarke was notably better IMO and Cam Whynot wasn't to bad himself. Clarke is consistently ranked above Lambos at this stage and Whynot is either ahead or minimally behind in most rankings.

East Division wise I'll guess it will shape up like this..

1. Saskatoon (especially if Dach is back)
2/3. Brandon/Winnipeg (these two will likely fight it out for 2 and 3)
4. Regina (They'll be a physical and gritty team that may be able to impose their will on some smaller teams and could surprise)
5. Moose Jaw (Alarie and Tracey's continued development is the wild card, they could both be up for big seasons but I think the Warriors miss out on playoffs)
6. Prince Albert (Lost a tonne of talent and starting a rebuild)

But I agree drop the damn puck already! I don't think I've ever been more excited for a dub season in my life with such a big infusion of elite talent recently.

I think Saskatoon will be a good team if Dach returns, which is likely for him to stay with the Blackhawks, but I imagine him going back to the Blades considering if Chicago keeps him down in Saskatoon they could use it to their advantage to sign him to a big contract once Toews and Kane begin to age. But this is an example of how hard it is to predict CHL. But if Dach does make the Blades he's easily the WHL's best player.

I think it might be possible that Moose Jaw trades Tracey.

After this season I think the ICE will own the East for the following three seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad