OT: Winnipeg ICE 2021-2022 [ICE @ Brandon Fri Dec 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Without trying to sound too desperate, the score makes it sound worse than it was. The Ice did manage to get in front of the net for some good chances a few times, but just had a string of bad luck preventing them from getting anything in. There were a lot of passes right in front that didn't connect due to bad bounces. Isaac Johnson in particular was probably a few bad bounces away from a couple of goals. It was a bad night for Hughes too.

Not taking away anything from Edmonton here - they are an amazing team with remarkable speed. That top line with Neighbours is something else, and their defense was stellar, always pushing the Ice to the perimeter. Kind of reminded me of the Jets this season with the Ice mostly having to shoot from way outside. Not something we're accustomed to from the Ice this season.

I saw Savoie in action for the first time in a while. I think the kid has a great future ahead of him but I really don't think he had any business as an exceptional status player this year. To have that you should be a solid first line player and he is nowhere near that yet IMO. I think he's better off getting big minutes and being a leader on The Rink's CSSHL team instead.

Last edited:

Jerry Westerbee

Sep 17, 2011

I saw Savoie in action for the first time in a while. I think the kid has a great future ahead of him but I really don't think he had any business as an exceptional status player this year. To have that you should be a solid first line player and he is nowhere near that yet IMO. I think he's better off getting big minutes and being a leader on The Rink's CSSHL team instead.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he had "no business" applying. I have watched him in a few CSSHL midget games this year and a few Ice games. He is not a flash player like McDavid, but he is very smart, economical and effective. Keep in mind that his place in the bottom six on the Ice depth chart is likely a result of him being restricted in the number of games he can dress. If he was a regular player, he likely would be in the top 6. In the CHL, if your not in the top six, its awfully tough to produce.

Reactions: Guardian17

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I wouldn't go so far as to say he had "no business" applying. I have watched him in a few CSSHL midget games this year and a few Ice games. He is not a flash player like McDavid, but he is very smart, economical and effective. Keep in mind that his place in the bottom six on the Ice depth chart is likely a result of him being restricted in the number of games he can dress. If he was a regular player, he likely would be in the top 6. In the CHL, if your not in the top six, its awfully tough to produce.

I have to admit I'm a bit of a CHL novice but I was always under the impression that exceptional player status was not meant for any underage players who could manage to crack a CHL roster, but for guys who were fully prepared to get in there and play full time on a top line, that sort of thing. Basically like McDavid. The WHL decided he didn't quite measure up to that standard and with the greatest of respect for Savoie because he's clearly going places, I can't say I disagree. The incident where he was concussed on a hard but clean hit by a Brandon player in December was an illustration of that. Just the lack of refined instincts when playing against guys much bigger and stronger than you. That said, I might have felt differently if the Ice didn't have so much depth... they can afford to wait for Savoie.

I'm fine with him getting a few games in just to get a taste of what's next, but I'm not sure I'd put him over Isaac Johnson or Michal Teply at RW on the depth chart.

I have definitely noticed what you're saying about the bottom lines in the CHL, though. Some of those guys are barely ever on the scoresheet. The disparity between top and bottom lines seems wider than with the NHL. I've never seen TOI stats for junior but they must be minimal for the 4th line and 3rd D pair, although Savoie did get at least a bit of time out there.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
10 minutes in and it's 3-zip Edmonton. It's shaping up to be the fourth straight game where the Oil Kings totally dominate the Ice. It's not like EOK is some unbeatable team either, Brandon just beat them and Edmonton just squeaked by the lowly Pats 2-1 in OT on Saturday.

Doesn't help that Krebs is injured, but still.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
10-1. Damn.

The Ice are such a good team but they have looked totally helpless all 4 times they played Edmonton.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Well, at least it makes it easy on me to post the highlight!

:laugh:

The highlight reel... for the one and only highlight!

Hoping for a total reset and a better outing vs Calgary tomorrow.

The package, on sale now for $499 plus taxes, guarantees pass holders entry to all the team’s 34 regular-season home games, or they can be bundled to bring friends or a group to any particular home game.

WHL’s Winnipeg Ice launch new, flexible season ticket packages

This is great. The $99 full season flex pass for kids really makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad