OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread - Off-Season Mode - Draft Upcoming April 30

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
S A R C A S M. I'm not so sure you're quite alright so I'm going give that ignore button a slap. Enjoy the season.
Sorry I confused it as an i
S A R C A S M. I'm not so sure you're quite alright so I'm going give that ignore button a slap. Enjoy the season.
I N A N E is what it was. Sorry if you can't handle a serious convo. If someone disagrees with you " they're not quite right". Ok Doctor.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I mean, I have watched him play and despite his style he is one of the best DB in the CFL. He was an all star and one of the most highly regarded FA available. He must be one hell of a "route jumper" if literally every team in the league would love to have him. An eye test, and thus an opinion, from a fan does not render fact. Show me some numbers that prove your assertion.
Sure, every team would love to have him. Would every team love to have at his new contract? I contend not. Schoen and Oliveira combined for $460k. I take that every day of the week over Hardrick and Houston combined at $400k.

Oliveira went for over 2K yards from scrimmage, led the league in rushing by over 400 yards, and has a Canadian passport to boot. Schoen led the league in TD receptions in each of his first two years and put up over 1,200 yards in both of them.

CFL stats aren’t the best, but here are a couple of clips that illustrate what I’m talking about re: Houston:

Here’s an example of him misjudging the play, missing the tackle, and giving up a huge TD (6:05 of the video):

Here’s an example of him guessing wrong when trying to jump the route, and giving up a 50+ yard play as a a result (2:45 of the video):

Of course, these are just two examples, and I’m interested if there’s a resource out there for the CFL similar to PFF measuring yards allowed to see if I’m just misremembering some stuff. I’d be interested to see Rose’s yards allowed as I feel like he was cooked quite a bit too last season

Also, in the Grey Cup the Als picked on Houston all game long. He was a liability that game.

Of course, no player is going to be perfect. They’ll all get beat from time-to-time but it just seemed to me like Houston got beat a lot. Still, he was a net positive on the team who I would have liked to have back, but he’s making way too much money and the Bombers had other commitments.

Again, recognizing the Bombers can’t keep everybody, I think they made the correct choice. Houston isn’t a bum, like I said, his pick six against Calgary basically won that game by itself. But I just think when you look beyond the INT totals and watch him play, you see a player who struggled in coverage, and gave up big plays. Combine that with how many American DBs are readily available, and with the success the Bombers have found in scouting that position in recent years (Evan Holm, Dee Alford, DeAdrick Nichols, Brandon Alexander and Houston himself all come to mind), and I think, realizing the Bombers had to prioritize who to sign and that they couldn’t bring back everyone, that they chose correctly. Time will tell if I’m full of it.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I contend not. Schoen and Oliveira combined for $460k. I take that every day of the week over Hardrick and Houston combined at $400k.

The bolded is bang on.

Most difficult to replace: League leading 1,000+ yard receivers and league leading 1,000+ yard National Running backs who is a generational local find.

Easiest to replace: American DB's and American O-lineman. Especially one that wasn't a great shut down cover guy and the other who will be aging out soon.

Throw in the signings of Streveler and now Castillo and I'd say the Canadian mafia have had an outstanding off-season of signings. Better than I had hoped.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Sure, every team would love to have him. Would every team love to have at his new contract? I contend not. Schoen and Oliveira combined for $460k. I take that every day of the week over Hardrick and Houston combined at $400k.

Oliveira went for over 2K yards from scrimmage, led the league in rushing by over 400 yards, and has a Canadian passport to boot. Schoen led the league in TD receptions in each of his first two years and put up over 1,200 yards in both of them.

CFL stats aren’t the best, but here are a couple of clips that illustrate what I’m talking about re: Houston:

Here’s an example of him misjudging the play, missing the tackle, and giving up a huge TD (6:05 of the video):

Here’s an example of him guessing wrong when trying to jump the route, and giving up a 50+ yard play as a a result (2:45 of the video):

Of course, these are just two examples, and I’m interested if there’s a resource out there for the CFL similar to PFF measuring yards allowed to see if I’m just misremembering some stuff. I’d be interested to see Rose’s yards allowed as I feel like he was cooked quite a bit too last season

Also, in the Grey Cup the Als picked on Houston all game long. He was a liability that game.

Of course, no player is going to be perfect. They’ll all get beat from time-to-time but it just seemed to me like Houston got beat a lot. Still, he was a net positive on the team who I would have liked to have back, but he’s making way too much money and the Bombers had other commitments.

Again, recognizing the Bombers can’t keep everybody, I think they made the correct choice. Houston isn’t a bum, like I said, his pick six against Calgary basically won that game by itself. But I just think when you look beyond the INT totals and watch him play, you see a player who struggled in coverage, and gave up big plays. Combine that with how many American DBs are readily available, and with the success the Bombers have found in scouting that position in recent years (Evan Holm, Dee Alford, DeAdrick Nichols, Brandon Alexander and Houston himself all come to mind), and I think, realizing the Bombers had to prioritize who to sign and that they couldn’t bring back everyone, that they chose correctly. Time will tell if I’m full of it.

Once again the eye test from a fan. Pal, I just watched several videos on Dion Sanders. Found many where he got burned. Again, no stats to back the claim that he was a pylon. No stats from the Grey Cup to prove anything. All of this nonsense is conjecture and can't be proven. Like you said, we'll see I guess.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
The bolded is bang on.

Most difficult to replace: League leading 1,000+ yard receivers and league leading 1,000+ yard National Running backs who is a generational local find.

Easiest to replace: American DB's and American O-lineman. Especially one that wasn't a great shut down cover guy and the other who will be aging out soon.

Throw in the signings of Streveler and now Castillo and I'd say the Canadian mafia have had an outstanding off-season of signings. Better than I had hoped.
How about Oliveira, Hardrick and Houston for 500k? No Streveler and Schoen.
3 all stars retained. One all star and a overpaid backup QB gone. The Bombers still have 2 1,000+ receivers and more depth.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
3 all stars retained. One all star and a overpaid backup QB gone. The Bombers still have 2 1,000+ receivers and more depth.
Streveler + Rookie is gonna save us quite a bit of money compared to Brown + Prukop from last year. Streveler is making less than Brown did last year. Did you not see Strevelers contract details? He's an UNDERPAID backup + 3rd down yardage guy. Odd choice to talk about.

Bombers were never going to give Houston the deal he earned with those picks. He's the highest paid DB in CFL now and the Bombers haven't prioritized big money there. How many DBs have the Bombers found lately? From Marcus Sayles to Deatrick Nichols to Dee Alford to Evan Holm to Demerio Houston, etc, etc.

And Sask overpaid Hardrick by about 75-100k. Let them have him as the highest paid American OL in the CFL, when he's always been just above average at best and plays a non-premium spot (RT vs the more important LT).

These are not big losses we need to worry about. I'm much more concerned at DL, both at end and DT and health/age of LB corps than either of those spots for sure.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Streveler + Rookie is gonna save us quite a bit of money compared to Brown + Prukop from last year. Streveler is making less than Brown did last year. Did you not see Strevelers contract details? He's an UNDERPAID backup + 3rd down yardage guy. Odd choice to talk about.

Bombers were never going to give Houston the deal he earned with those picks. He's the highest paid DB in CFL now and the Bombers haven't prioritized big money there.

And Sask overpaid Hardrick by about 75-100k. Let them have him as the highest paid American OL in the CFL, when he's always been just above average at best and plays a non-premium spot (RT vs the more important LT).

These are not big losses we need to worry about. I'm much more concerned at DL, both at end and DT and health/age of LB corps than either of those spots for sure.
I can't believe this misinformation is persisting... Justin Dunk reported Brown's contract at 85k and I believe Prukop was getting 100-120k... Bombers are not saving any money with Streveler

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I can't believe this misinformation is persisting... Justin Dunk reported Brown's contract at 85k and I believe Prukop was getting 100-120k... Bombers are not saving any money with Streveler
Either way, even using your numbers (which are alot lower than even Dunk reported in his 2023 QB salaries article which was 82k + 7k living allowance, so 89k + Bonuses of which he hit some at least), the Bombers still saving money on backup QBs this year because they don't need to pay a 3rd string 100-120k, instead the 3rd stringer'll be at league min 70k.

Streveler only signed for 120k, it's a steal no matter how you view Streveler, he's pretty easily the best or 2nd best backup QB in the league (Tre Ford who should be the starter in EDM but they dumb as a sack of bricks in Elk land is the only one I'd say would even come close to competing with Streveler).

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Either way, even using your numbers (which are alot lower than even Dunk reported in his 2023 QB salaries article which was 82k + 7k living allowance, so 89k + Bonuses of which he hit some at least), the Bombers still saving money on backup QBs this year because they don't need to pay a 3rd string 100-120k, instead the 3rd stringer'll be at league min 70k.

Streveler only signed for 120k, it's a steal no matter how you view Streveler, he's pretty easily the best or 2nd best backup QB in the league (Tre Ford who should be the starter in EDM but they dumb as a sack of bricks in Elk land is the only one I'd say would even come close to competing with Streveler).
'A lot lower' hahahaha - he had 75k in base and 7k housing... then $500 for every game he is the starter...

Yes Streveler is a steal - Im just saying we are maybe saving 10-20k over last year

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
'A lot lower' hahahaha - he had 75k in base and 7k housing... then $500 for every game he is the starter...

Yes Streveler is a steal - Im just saying we are maybe saving 10-20k over last year
I mean the people I talk to and trust close to the team had him closer to 150k last year. But whatever, I got no sourcing on that so I'm not gonna try to defend that.

So ok lets talk Dunks number. I did misread them, but they are notoriously...not well received by people who work for CFL as the accuracy has been called into question. But also they make no sense as I'll show below.

So he's saying
75k base
7k housing
500$ per game over 51% of snaps.
So adding that up comes to 91k if he plays all 18 games right. Fine let's be generous and say playoff games count, so add 3 more potential games, so his numbers indicate 92.5k max.

Why does the title say 82k hard money and potential up to 97k then? This is why his numbers are hard to trust.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018

As I said, I'd take Streveler and Schoen all day instead of Hardrick and Houston who are much easier to replace and at a discount.

Walters will bring a boatload of DB's to training camp and find another good one. And our secondary is already in great shape with Parker, Holm, Alexander, Nichols, Ford and McGhee.

Same story replacing Hardrick who is too long in the tooth to pay that amount for and replaceable with younger and cheaper talent. They'll bring in as many O-lineman as it takes. Maybe even start another National. Dobson and Eli could be ready.

Not the same story trying to replace Schoen who is young and could lead the league in receiving for years. Very impressed we were able to sign him after Olivera.

And do you really think there's another Streveler out there willing to sign in Winnipeg? The guy adds a whole new dimension to the offence and brings a ton of excitement. Just an absolute bonus being able to sign him.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
I have to disagree about Streveler. I think he's serviceable at best.Good scrambler and is exciting to watch, but as QB his arm and his ability to check off is average.Not sure he's keeping too many DC's around the league up all night. Not sure the Bombers missed him while he was busy getting bounced around the NFL. The team could have Shiltz or Dolegala at half the price and then maybe they could have added depth.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Thank you. A lot of conjecture around here. Long on opinion and short on fact.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I have to disagree about Streveler. I think he's serviceable at best.Good scrambler and is exciting to watch, but as QB his arm and his ability to check off is average.Not sure he's keeping too many DC's around the league up all night. Not sure the Bombers missed him while he was busy getting bounced around the NFL. The team could have Shiltz or Dolegala at half the price and then maybe they could have added depth.
Half the price of Streveler is an illegal contract cause it's lower than league minimum...

And I'd bet money Schiltz in Calgary is making at least as much as Streveler.

Reactions: TS Quint

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022

How much did Prokop make as a short yardage QB last year? He did a great job for this team.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Half the price of Streveler is an illegal contract cause it's lower than league minimum...

And I'd bet money Schiltz in Calgary is making at least as much as Streveler.
Fine then, they should have kept Prokop. He did a great job. Streveler was brought in because he's a folk hero in Wpg. He's not a good QB. The folks down south proved it. He scrambles because of his inability to check off and his lack of arm strength. Again, proven in the NFL.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Fine then, they should have kept Prokop. He did a great job. Streveler was brought in because he's a folk hero in Wpg. He's not a good QB. The folks down south proved it. He scrambles because of his inability to check off and his lack of arm strength. Again, proven in the NFL.
Prukop had the problem of not being able to play QB. Lol Streveler is much better at literally everything. From 3rd down sneaks, to throwing, running, leadership, like just everything. Prukop washed out of the USFL cause he couldn't play QB. Only thing he's good at is taking a snap and falling forward. It's a valuable skill in CFL, but big meh.

Streveler never got any chance in the NFL. The first game he got to play the Cardinals tried to have him play like Tom Brady, only from the pocket. The 2nd with the Jets he nearly sparked a comeback with a sad sack organization. He was never going to be much in NFL, his arm was never going to allow that, but he wasn't put into spots to succeed either.

I mean no one's here claiming Streveler is an all-star. But he's more than proven his arm is more than good enough to fill in in spot duty, and his legs keeps teams guessing. He's an elite backup, borderline starter in CFL. And he's signed for an absolute steal of a deal.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Hardrick was a bum when we brought him in and turned him into an Allstar... pretty clear that we are going discount American at RT like most teams do...

We have a DL of WJ-Lawson-Fox-Haba/Bennett and a bunch of extras competing for a spot

13 DEs competing for 1 spot
12 WRs competing for 1 spot

Seems decent to me.
13 DE?! Just looked at the roster and I counted 8, including Jefferson. Where are the other 5? I hope you're right because the 7 listed other than Jefferson are less than impressive. Most haven't even played a down in this league.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Prukop had the problem of not being able to play QB. Lol Streveler is much better at literally everything. From 3rd down sneaks, to throwing, running, leadership, like just everything. Prukop washed out of the USFL cause he couldn't play QB. Only thing he's good at is taking a snap and falling forward. It's a valuable skill in CFL, but big meh.

Streveler never got any chance in the NFL. The first game he got to play the Cardinals tried to have him play like Tom Brady, only from the pocket. The 2nd with the Jets he nearly sparked a comeback with a sad sack organization. He was never going to be much in NFL, his arm was never going to allow that, but he wasn't put into spots to succeed either.

I mean no one's here claiming Streveler is an all-star. But he's more than proven his arm is more than good enough to fill in in spot duty, and his legs keeps teams guessing. He's an elite backup, borderline starter in CFL. And he's signed for an absolute steal of a deal.
He's a folk hero and a average QB at best.
Now you're saying that the coaches on the teams he tried out for don't know what their doing. It's the NFL. They can separate the wheat from the chaff. If was a QB he would still be there. He couldn't make the NY Jets roster for crying out loud. He got just as much a chance to prove himself as any other QB prospect and crapped out. No conspiracies, just fact.

• Haha
Reactions: FonRiesen

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022

Well than Prokop and Streveler has something in common. Neither is a QB.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
He scrambles because he's a damn good runner, not because he's a shitty quarterback. When they use him with an option package geared to letting him run, it's a great way to keep defenses off balance and spell off Collaros for a couple of plays. Prukop was not this.

Adds an element we didn't have and why as a season ticket holder I'm stoked to see him again here.

And very good at short yardage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad