OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread - Off-Season Mode - Draft Upcoming April 30

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Rasheed Bailey moves on, won't be playing in front of to many home fans anymore hope he got the money he was looking for
Good for him to get that money, he deserves it. At least he didn’t go to Saskatchewan.

Although who knows at this point which QB he’ll have throwing to him this year

Reactions: Fairview

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Ah my bad, I'm not sure on that. I'd expect him to be. It's not like he'll break the bank, probably coming in at 80-100K. DB's rarely go about 100K, particularly not ones without big INT numbers.
He was never listed as a FA on CFL.ca. He might have signed a 2 year deal last season I guess. But he is listed on the roster while none of our remaining FA's are.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Good for him to get that money, he deserves it. At least he didn’t go to Saskatchewan.

Although who knows at this point which QB he’ll have throwing to him this year
Bombers are bringing close to 10 WR's into camp based on the roster so far, not including KJ Hill the all time receiving leader out of Ohio State that they just signed. I'm hopeful that one or 2 out of that bunch stand out as did Branndon Schoen a couple traing camps ago.

Reactions: snowkiddin

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Rasheed Bailey moves on, won't be playing in front of to many home fans anymore hope he got the money he was looking for
If Kelly is in legal trouble Bailey might not be getting the money he was hoping for if Cam Dukes or Bryan Scott (whoever the heck they are) is trying to lead the Argos into the play-off money.

Reactions: bustamente

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
The money he was looking for went to Schoen and Brady O.
As a Bomber fan I have to say those two better have a huge year because their salary demands have put a dent into this team.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Bombers are bringing close to 10 WR's into camp based on the roster so far, not including KJ Hill the all time receiving leader out of Ohio State that they just signed. I'm hopeful that one or 2 out of that bunch stand out as did Branndon Schoen a couple traing camps ago.
Paid a king's ransom for Schoen yet they are bringing in more receivers. Lost an all star OT, an all star DB, and a pretty good DE. But they are bringing in more receivers. After blowing two consecutive losses in the Grey Cup, you can bet the Canadian Mafia should be on the hot seat this year.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Paid a king's ransom for Schoen yet they are bringing in more receivers. Lost an all star OT, an all star DB, and a pretty good DE. But they are bringing in more receivers. After blowing two consecutive losses in the Grey Cup, you can bet the Canadian Mafia should be on the hot seat this year.
This is nothing new, there is roster turnover every year, no team is immune. as far as bringing in WR's Bombers do it every camp,9it's how we uncovered Schoen) as well as DB's as those spots are the most plentiful it seems. I would rather have Oliveira/Schoen on the team than be without one or both and have Bailey, the oft injured Jeffcoat(who I love as a player), JeMarcus Hardrick who while good is quite noticeably in decline and a couple other pieces.

Walters has been quite good at building this team, a far cry from the previous regime if you remember. There may some growing pains adjusting to new players in familiar spots but between the American college FA's being brought in and the draft I'm sure we will wind up with some players who can play. And FA isn't over yet. No idea how much money Walters has left to spen but still dozens of unsigned players(ours and other teams who at some point are going to decide they'd rather play than not and will do so for a lower number that they had originally envisioned for themselves. I think we'll yet see a couple under the radar signings by Walters that will bear fruit for us.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Hardrick was a bum when we brought him in and turned him into an Allstar... pretty clear that we are going discount American at RT like most teams do...

We have a DL of WJ-Lawson-Fox-Haba/Bennett and a bunch of extras competing for a spot

13 DEs competing for 1 spot
12 WRs competing for 1 spot

Seems decent to me.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Did you see how much Houston and Hardrick got paid? I would’ve been pissed if we lost the best player in the league (Oliveira) and the best receiver in the league (Schoen) so we could give a ballhawk who got burned deep constantly the contract he got and Hardrick the contract he did.

You can’t keep everyone and I think the Bombers chose right.

Last edited:

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Did you see how much Houston and Hardrick got paid? I would’ve been pissed if we lost the best player in the league (Oliveira) and the best receiver in the league (Schoen) so we could give a ballhawk who got burned deep constantly the contract he got and Hardrick the contract he did.

You can’t keep everyone and I think the Bombers chose right.
I disagree. As for Schoen and Oliveira, I would have signed one, and let the other walk.
Oh, and now that the All Star DB has left the team, he got burned deep constantly, apparently.Nice.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
This is nothing new, there is roster turnover every year, no team is immune. as far as bringing in WR's Bombers do it every camp,9it's how we uncovered Schoen) as well as DB's as those spots are the most plentiful it seems. I would rather have Oliveira/Schoen on the team than be without one or both and have Bailey, the oft injured Jeffcoat(who I love as a player), JeMarcus Hardrick who while good is quite noticeably in decline and a couple other pieces.

Walters has been quite good at building this team, a far cry from the previous regime if you remember. There may some growing pains adjusting to new players in familiar spots but between the American college FA's being brought in and the draft I'm sure we will wind up with some players who can play. And FA isn't over yet. No idea how much money Walters has left to spen but still dozens of unsigned players(ours and other teams who at some point are going to decide they'd rather play than not and will do so for a lower number that they had originally envisioned for themselves. I think we'll yet see a couple under the radar signings by Walters that will bear fruit for us.
That's a lot hope there. We'll see I guess.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The money he was looking for went to Schoen and Brady O.
As a Bomber fan I have to say those two better have a huge year because their salary demands have put a dent into this team.
who cares about Bailey? Seemed like a great guy and all that but as a player…..meh. He’s a #5 WR at best on the Bombers and 30 years old. i always hoped for more out of him. I’d rather keep turning over the bottom end of the roster looking for a new American receiver with more potential In that #5WR spot.

But good for Bailey, he’s going to get a chance to play an elevated role on the Argos. I wish him well.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I disagree. As for Schoen and Oliveira, I would have signed one, and let the other walk.
Oh, and now that the All Star DB has left the team, he got burned deep constantly, apparently.Nice.
I mean …. Did you watch Houston play? His INTs were great, don’t get me wrong, but were a product of his style of play. He is a gambler and a route jumper. When he guesses right, it’s usually a pick, when he guesses wrong, he was giving up huge yardage. That’s not to say there weren’t any benefits of his style of play, his pick in the Calgary game that Brown started basically won them the game by itself… but he got burned a lot, including with 12 seconds left in the Grey Cup game.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I mean …. Did you watch Houston play? His INTs were great, don’t get me wrong, but were a product of his style of play. He is a gambler and a route jumper. When he guesses right, it’s usually a pick, when he guesses wrong, he was giving up huge yardage. That’s not to say there weren’t any benefits of his style of play, his pick in the Calgary game that Brown started basically won them the game by itself… but he got burned a lot, including with 12 seconds left in the Grey Cup game.
For these reasons I think Houston can be replaced.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
For these reasons I think Houston can be replaced.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall it, the majority of Houston's picks came earlier in the season. I think that his play fell off as the season progressed. There are some who felt that the coaches made an error in starting him in the GCG, i.e., there were better options on the bench (Lawrence?). Houston, imo, played poorly in the Big Game. He will be replaced adequately.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
I mean, I have watched him play and despite his style he is one of the best DB in the CFL. He was an all star and one of the most highly regarded FA available. He must be one hell of a "route jumper" if literally every team in the league would love to have him. An eye test, and thus an opinion, from a fan does not render fact. Show me some numbers that prove your assertion.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
who cares about Bailey? Seemed like a great guy and all that but as a player…..meh. He’s a #5 WR at best on the Bombers and 30 years old. i always hoped for more out of him. I’d rather keep turning over the bottom end of the roster looking for a new American receiver with more potential In that #5WR spot.

But good for Bailey, he’s going to get a chance to play an elevated role on the Argos. I wish him well.
I think his former teammates will miss him. According to them he was a terrific down field blocker which really helped them get extra yardage. He caught as many TDs as Demski and Wolitarsky. Same amount of catches as Wolitarsky. He was the type that caught balls in the dirty areas. Now, every year this team brings in roughly a dozen receivers. That means in the last 3 years they have brought in approximately 36 receivers. All of them couldn't replace Bailey.

Reactions: Ggg99

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I think his former teammates will miss him. According to them he was a terrific down field blocker which really helped them get extra yardage. He caught as many TDs as Demski and Wolitarsky. Same amount of catches as Wolitarsky. He was the type that caught balls in the dirty areas. Now, every year this team brings in roughly a dozen receivers. That means in the last 3 years they have brought in approximately 36 receivers. All of them couldn't replace Bailey.
If all of them replaced Bailey the Bombers would be called for too many men on the field on every play.
The flip side of Houston leading the league in interceptions is that it means that opposing teams threw into his area of coverage alot because they watched game film, as our coaching staff does and saw what was mentioned above about him being a gambler and a route jumper who ends up out of position and easily beat if he guesses wrong.

Nothing will satisfy you and unless the Bombers win the Grey Cup you will be on here second guessing every personnel move all season and beyond which is fine as is your right but I'll just leave things in the hands of those that know football and the salary cap far better than I do.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
With all of that, he’s still just the #5 receiver on the Bombers. He probably does deserve better league wide but that’s his role here. I’d guess Bailey got the money of a #2/3WR like he probably deserves but you can’t pay that as the Bombers who will use him as a #5.

Im sure his former team mates will miss him just like they miss anyone from Hardrick to Jefferson to ….who cares. That’s part of pro football.

They did bring Schoen in and he is far better. There’s a whole factory of hundreds American schools pumping out WRs every year there will be more I promise.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We have three 1000+ yard receivers and Oliviera - I liked Bailey's blocking but this is something easily replaced really

Losing OLeary-Orange was a more of a bummer - but again I'd rather spend money trying to find a way to keep Grant

Plus I never let the dream die of a thunder-lightning set again....

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
If all of them replaced Bailey the Bombers would be called for too many men on the field on every play.
The flip side of Houston leading the league in interceptions is that it means that opposing teams threw into his area of coverage alot because they watched game film, as our coaching staff does and saw what was mentioned above about him being a gambler and a route jumper who ends up out of position and easily beat if he guesses wrong.

Nothing will satisfy you and unless the Bombers win the Grey Cup you will be on here second guessing every personnel move all season and beyond which is fine as is your right but I'll just leave things in the hands of those that know football and the salary cap far better than I do.
If all of them replaced Bailey... What does that even mean?

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022

Nichols had the majority of his interceptions earlier in the season because teams wouldn't throw his way, because as you stated, teams watched film on him and decided it wasn't a good idea to test him.This is a fact that was not only admitted to by his coaches but by several pundits around the league.
As a parent I didn't raise my kids with the "Johnny never does anything wrong " attitude. When this team makes questionable decisions,as a fan I have the right to call them on it. I have not, and will not,question every roster decision they make as you so wrongly assumed.

Nichols had the majority of his interceptions earlier in the season because teams wouldn't throw his way, because as you stated, teams watched film on him and decided it wasn't a good idea to test him.This is a fact that was not only admitted to by his coaches but by several pundits around the league.
As a parent I didn't raise my kids with the "Johnny never does anything wrong " attitude. When this team makes questionable decisions,as a fan I have the right to call them on it. I have not, and will not,question every roster decision they make as you so wrongly assumed.
Sorry, I meant Houston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad