OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread - Pre-Season starts Mon May 20 at Sask 3pm (Watch on CFL+)

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
The youngsters out there might not know that Gerry James was a hometown boy who not only played for the Bombers, but he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs too. His NHL career overlapped with his time with the Bombers. He's the only person to play in the Grey Cup and the Stanley Cup in the same season (Bombers won, but Leafs lost).
He was also coach of the Melville Millionaires and Yorkton Terriers back in the day.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Bombers pretty quiet in FA so far. Waiting for the dust to settle? We resigned many of our own but have lost a decent handful, some who it was time to move on from. Obviously Walters is talking to players and agents, just wondering what is out there still that he should be going after, besides the need to still bring back some of our own FA's?

Oh and RIP to Ken Ploen and Gerry James.

Reactions: GNP and Jetsetter

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Bombers pretty quiet in FA so far. Waiting for the dust to settle? We resigned many of our own but have lost a decent handful, some who it was time to move on from. Obviously Walters is talking to players and agents, just wondering what is out there still that he should be going after, besides the need to still bring back some of our own FA's?

Bomber have a lot of money already tied up. I don’t expect much out of FA. I think it’s up to the Bombers scouts to fill the rest of the team for the most part at this point.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Right now the biggest one I'm still hoping on is Janarion Grant. Really hope the Bombers find a way to bring him back as his work in the return game (at least when he's healthy) is absolutely huge for the Bombers. Grant has traditionally not signed new contracts until late April/early May though for whatever reason so I'm not too concerned yet.

There's been a lot of losses no doubt. But 18 of the 24 starters from last year are back. The biggest losses without immediate internal replacements are at CB, WR, DT, and DE (Houston/Rose, Bailey, Walker, Jeffcoat). DB (Dee Alford, Demerio Houston, Deatrick Nichols, Evan Holm), DT ("Stove" Richardson, Casey Sayles, Ricky Walker) and WR (Dalton Schoen, Kenny Lawler, Rasheed Bailey, Carlton Agudosi it appeared, etc) are areas the Bombers have been excellent in finding new talent in recently. I'm guessing they are banking on rookies plus will look for some undervalued reclamation projects they'll take on later. I'm pretty confident there.

DE is likely the biggest question mark. Haba should be back, but they'll need to add some talent along the DL no doubt. I doubt they're done, but I wouldn't count on them adding any of the "big" names. Money is mostly committed, Oliveira, Lawler, Schoen, Demski, and Jefferson eat big portions all on their own, that's 5 really big money players, plus Collaros is the highest paid QB in the league eating more money. They are going to have to rely on their scouting and development, particularly on D. Hopefully it works out, but this Bombers management group hasn't given us anything to doubt them on yet, except getting the guys ready for the Grey Cup game.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Getting Ford back is big imo as I think he can develop into a good defensive back within a year or two.

A few big concerns are the interior of the defensive line which was easily one of the weakest in the CFL last year. Thomas is ancient and only marginally effective so they real need to have another player(s) rotate in for him for over half the snaps imo. Kongbo would be one of my targets. Might be a relative bargain as a Canadian free agent as teams only have so much money to spend with the cap and most appear to have made their big acquisitions up to this point.

Losing Walker is not a big deal as he was not that impactful at all. Hopefully Walter and our scouts can unearth some excellent recruits for defensive tackle.

Linebackers are another big concern. Bighill took a step back and is likely one of the weaker middle linebackers in the league at this point. Bomber scouts will need to unearth a gem or two down south so Bighill can be rested for around 50% of the snaps this season. I also hope the scouts can unearth some quality competition at the WIL and SAM linebacker positions. Wilson is decent but not great and he is getting a bit older. Clement is gone. Bombers have Cole but I hope they are able to find someone a bit better.

Right now the front 7 on D is the weak spot on this club. Hopefully it will be improved...if not at the beginning of the season, then as the season progresses.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Getting Ford back is big imo as I think he can develop into a good defensive back within a year or two.

A few big concerns are the interior of the defensive line which was easily one of the weakest in the CFL last year. Thomas is ancient and only marginally effective so they real need to have another player(s) rotate in for him for over half the snaps imo. Kongbo would be one of my targets. Might be a relative bargain as a Canadian free agent as teams only have so much money to spend with the cap and most appear to have made their big acquisitions up to this point.

Losing Walker is not a big deal as he was not that impactful at all. Hopefully Walter and our scouts can unearth some excellent recruits for defensive tackle.

Linebackers are another big concern. Bighill took a step back and is likely one of the weaker middle linebackers in the league at this point. Bomber scouts will need to unearth a gem or two down south so Bighill can be rested for around 50% of the snaps this season. I also hope the scouts can unearth some quality competition at the WIL and SAM linebacker positions. Wilson is decent but not great and he is getting a bit older. Clement is gone. Bombers have Cole but I hope they are able to find someone a bit better.

Right now the front 7 on D is the weak spot on this club. Hopefully it will be improved...if not at the beginning of the season, then as the season progresses.

Cameron Lawson will be the starter in the interior along with an American, IMO. Thomas will be a rotational guy. Lawson really started to come into his own last year and will be a huge force from the interior this year with a Canadian passport, IMO. Bombers have been solid at finding import DT's, IMO. From Richardson to Sayles to Walker they've developed well.

Kongbo is a straight DE, and not a reliable one. He had flashes in WPG, but he has now been run out of two organizations inside a year. He's not a guy to rely on. He would be a solid depth piece as a DE #4 rotating in, particularly as a Canadian, but he is not a guy I want in regularly.

Kyrie Wilson and Bighill are the Backers. I'm sure we'll bring in some rookies and there's Brian Cole still hanging around to provide some push.

As for SAM, I'd be shocked if they don't give it to Redha Kramdhi. They seem determined to go that way last year, despite his struggles in coverage.

Right now, here's my roster

QB - Collaros (Streveler - Rookie)
RB - Oliveira - Augustine
WR - Schoen, Lawler, Demski, Amer Rookie, Wolitarsky
OL - Bryant - Dobson - Kolankowski - Neufeld - Ivy/Amer Rookie

DL - Jefferson - Amer Rookie - Lawson - Haba/Amer Rookie (Thomas, Haba/Amer Rookie rotational guys)
LB - Wilson - Bighill (Cole, Gauthier, Rookies)
SAM - Kramdhi
S - Alexander
HB - Nichols - Holm
CB - American Rookie/FA - American Rookie/FA (Ford, etc)

This team is more up in the air than any Bombers team since 2019. There will be plenty of competition. Hopefully the scouts have done their work well.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Cameron Lawson will be the starter in the interior along with an American, IMO. Thomas will be a rotational guy. Lawson really started to come into his own last year and will be a huge force from the interior this year with a Canadian passport, IMO. Bombers have been solid at finding import DT's, IMO. From Richardson to Sayles to Walker they've developed well.

Kongbo is a straight DE, and not a reliable one. He had flashes in WPG, but he has now been run out of two organizations inside a year. He's not a guy to rely on. He would be a solid depth piece as a DE #4 rotating in, particularly as a Canadian, but he is not a guy I want in regularly.

Kyrie Wilson and Bighill are the Backers. I'm sure we'll bring in some rookies and there's Brian Cole still hanging around to provide some push.

As for SAM, I'd be shocked if they don't give it to Redha Kramdhi. They seem determined to go that way last year, despite his struggles in coverage.

Right now, here's my roster

QB - Collaros (Streveler - Rookie)
RB - Oliveira - Augustine
WR - Schoen, Lawler, Demski, Amer Rookie, Wolitarsky
OL - Bryant - Dobson - Kolankowski - Neufeld - Ivy/Amer Rookie

DL - Jefferson - Amer Rookie - Lawson - Haba/Amer Rookie (Thomas, Haba/Amer Rookie rotational guys)
LB - Wilson - Bighill (Cole, Gauthier, Rookies)
SAM - Kramdhi
S - Alexander
HB - Nichols - Holm
CB - American Rookie/FA - American Rookie/FA (Ford, etc)

This team is more up in the air than any Bombers team since 2019. There will be plenty of competition. Hopefully the scouts have done their work well.
Is Holm back?

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018

Last season Bighill had more tackles and sacks then his previous 3 seasons. He did not take a step back. I can recall more than one third down stuff that he personally made that were amazing plays. He doesn't fly around as much and looked bad in the Grey Cup only because he was hurt and shouldn't have been allowed to dress.

But he is not one of the weaker middle line backers in the league. Yet. We'll see how father time impacts him this year. But if he performs like last year, then we are fine at MLB. I do agree we need to start developing someone as his successor.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
All things considered, the Bombers have navigated FA pretty well so far.

Free agency
They've brought back what's needed (although getting Castillo (and to a lesser extent, Grant) back still would be nice), and the impact of the players they've lost should be mitigated by those players being on a decline, and in positions where it's relatively easy to find effective rookie Americans.

We've retained the best player in the league — Oliveira — who would've been the MOP if not for the Toronto Effect. Him taking less to stay here is gravy.

Schoen is the best receiver in the league. Lawler makes spectacular catches but Schoen is far more consistent. I was rather resigned to the fact that Schoen was gone in free agency. Getting him back is insane. Not sure how they got him to take $230k when a guy like Tim White is looking at $300k. The only bummer about this is it will hit me financially as I now will be purchasing a Schoen jersey.

Losing Hardrick isn't great, but honestly, it'll be the locker room/culture stuff we'll miss more. I don't know how he won the West's most outstanding lineman last year, he was in a clear decline. I'd put it at 50/50 that he's completely washed this year. Good for him to get that money, stupid for Sask to offer that money.

Speaking of guys in a decline, I think you can apply some of those same criticisms to Stanley Bryant, but at least he has a longer track record of success (literally the GOAT CFL tackle) and he took a pay cut to stick around.

I love Jeffcoat, but what it comes down to is he can't stay healthy in most seasons. Last year he was healthy, but frankly he wasn't that effective. Honestly Haba showed more in brief flashes last year, although you aren't likely to get prime Jeffcoat out of Haba and I'm not sure you'll get Jeffcoat's overall consistency out of him. But I understand the decision to move on.

Houston's INTs will be missed. Houston getting burned deep constantly will not.

Offence
Collaros is still the best QB in the league, but it's not like he has much competition for that spot. Problem is, one of the bottom tier QBs in the league just won the Grey Cup. Collaros might be the best, but he's not the CFL's version of Mahomes where that guy takes a mid team kicking and screaming to the champioship. Collaros is great, but there's going to be real pressure on him to perform in the playoffs. He hasn't been good in November. And honestly, Castillo should've won Grey Cup MVP in 2021, not Collaros. He'll probably torch teams all season, but there will (and should) be questions about how he can perform in the playoffs. He needs to silence those critics this year. Getting Streveler back is fun. Prukop did well in that role the past couple seasons, so it's not like we needed an upgrade there. Prukop was a good scrambler and automatic on 2nd/3rd and short too, but Streveler will do the same for us. He'll replace some of the locker room goodness that we're losing with Hardrick leaving, too. Hopefully Barriere can be a solid developmental project; he does have tantalizing stats, but he's already 26 and it seems like literally every CFL training camp QB has good college stats.

People online have been saying Oliveira benefitted from the o-line last year and that he'll take a step back this year with Hardrick gone, but those people either weren't watching the Bombers last year, or are just coping. The o-line kinda sucked last year tbh, and Oliveira has developed into a stud everywhere - running, receiving, blocking. Plus, he rescues puppies. What's not to like? If he can stay healthy, I can see him as the league's best player again. I was rewatching his tape yesterday and he was just toying with teams last year. He's a special talent.

I've kinda already covered Schoen (which is ironically something no DBs in the league can seem to do), but for my money he's the best receiver in the league, and his consistency and TDs are huge to bring back. Lawler is a good complement to that as the deep threat, go-up-and-get-the-ball type of receiver. Demski is an insane WR3. Wolitarsky is a solid, productive Canadian. Gonna miss Bailey and his blocking, and fire, but as WR4 he was a luxury, and we should be able to pick up a decent American rookie to replace him.

The offensive line wasn't amazing last year, but I don't see it taking too much of a step back. Geoff Gray sucked last year and he's gone, which is good. Eli/Dobson/Neufeld/Kolankowski aren't bad on the interior. I'm not sure how the CFL draft looks but they might take a guard in the first round. Bryant should at least provide above average tackle play so just have to hope the American RT we bring in isn't a complete pylon.

Defence
I'm interested to see how much different Younger's schemes will be for the D. The defence should benefit overall from losing Hall, although he remains on the coaching staff so it's an interesting dynamic. Wouldn't be surprised if Younger has some growing pains, too.

I tend to agree that the DL could be a weak spot. Willie is still great, though not the MODP that he was in his prime, IMO. I'm confident that Haba/another American can be productive on the other end, but we aren't gonna have an elite pass rush, I don't think. Lawson/Thomas will split the Canadian spot at DT, and an American will fill the other spot. Hopefully they find someone closer to Stove Richardson than to what's-his-face from last year. DT hasn't been a strong spot for us since Stove left.

Linebackers — a bit of a question mark IMO. Bighill is still good, he's a field general and will help the team out a lot just with his experience. But he's clearly in a decline and we should be wary of a further drop in play from him. While I don't think he's one of the weakest LBs in the league at this point, he's definitely not a gamebreaker anymore and we need to find someone competent to take some snaps from him. Wilson is another question mark. He was elite in 2021 and 2022 before his injury, but he came back last year and looked to be a step behind. Some guys never fully recover from an Achilles injury, so I hope that isn't the case with him.

I agree with Holden that Kramdi is likely the SAM. Not sure I agree with that decision, but as an incumbent Canadian it's gonna be hard for anyone to win that spot from him.

Nichols wasn't AS good last year in the secondary as he usually is, but was still great, good to have him back. Holm was dynamite too. I don't think he'll get a contract in the NFL. I expect him back for the beginning of next year. Alexander is similar to Nichols wherein I don't think he was as good as normal, but was still solid. Just gotta hope for no further decline. Or at least a minimal decline. As for Houston's replacement, the Bombers have actually done a good job at finding DBs recently (Nichols, Alford, Holm, Houston all come to mind) so I'm actually not quite concerned. Long gone are the days of bums like Suber, Stewart, and Washington policing our secondary. Ford will certainly be in the mix there.

Special Teams
Like I said, I'm hoping Castillo will be back. I never thought finding a decent kicker (especially an import kicker) was such a task, but given the struggles throughout the league (Edmonton comes to mind) and here in Winnipeg, maybe there just aren't that many reliable kickers around. I can't see Castillo costing too much more than he was last year or than other kickers are, so hopefully they get a deal done there. I'd like Grant back too, but it seems like he has a long-term injury each year and I think you could find a solid (but not as great) American option for cheaper to replace him. I think it'll come down to how much money he wants, I think the Bombers will bring him back if he wants to come back at a reasonable $$ value.

Seeing how Mike Miller does as he makes the transition straight to ST coordinator from player will be an interesting storyline to follow this year. Our special teams coverage both on returns and on kick coverage was pitiful last year, and we need to see some improvement here. Sheahan was okay as punter. If he's the Global we're going with than so be it. I think we'll miss Exume and Hansen on the teams (granted Hansen wasn't exactly all that and a bag of chips last year). It's hard to determine who will be good STers at this stage but we really need improvement here. Having both Halletts back will certainly help.

Early Thoughts on this Season
As others have said, the Bombers are killing free agency again. Contrast that to Toronto, who got duped into giving a hot-headed, locker-room-cancer average QB the contract they did and are absolutely hemorrhaging talent as a consequence. I find it difficult to believe Toronto will have a fantastic year given their roster turnover and given how Kelly wasn't the Mahomes-level player TSN tried making him out to be. And now that all his help is leaving ... Montreal will be fun to follow. They likely aren't as good as the seven-win streak, Grey Cup-winning team that they ended the year as or as bad as the team that couldn't beat anyone over .500 all year. I'd pick them to win the East. Hamilton is in a bit of a weird spot, especially at QB, but they'll probably make the playoffs almost by default. Ottawa is improving but still a long ways off. It'll be fun watching Brown but I'm not sure it'll go all that well for him — that's not so much a knock on him as it is on the team around him.

Meanwhile in the West, I keep reading on Reddit about how Sask with Corey Mace are contenders for 1st in the West, but I don't see it. Their offensive line is still suspect, and if they think Hardrick is turning that around by himself then I've got a bridge to sell them. Further, their biggest issue is they don't have a QB. Their offensive line got Collaros killed, it got Fajardo killed, it got Harris killed, and now what? BC is the bigger problem in the West for the Bombers IMO, although they've lost some talent too. I wouldn't count on VAJ repeating the kind of season he just had either. The Alberta teams are going in different directions, Edmonton getting better, Calgary getting worse, but I don't see either of them as threats.

So the Bombers, despite losing some talent, look well-positioned to make another run at the Grey Cup. They have, again, had a successful free agency. The thing is, none of that matters if they can't win the big one in November. The offence with Collaros/Streveler/Oliveira/Schoen/Lawler/Demski WILL absolutely butcher teams all season, but that will be for not if they can't win the Grey Cup. Can Collaros perform in the playoffs? That's up in the air. I'm not confident he will. The Bombers, while not as good as 2021, are still a good team. A great team, even. But all it comes down to is this: there were only three good teams in the league last season, and none of them won the Grey Cup.

Last edited:

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita

Sad news. Prayers for Mike and his family. There is a GoFundMe link in the article for anyone who is able and willing to chip in.

Be grateful for your health while you have it. Never curse the day when you can cherish it. I need to remember that as much as anyone.

One of my favorite Bombers. In his pomp Mike Sellers was a force of nature. I'm glad I had the chance to watch him play. At times, he'd run through the opposition defense with such ease, my Dad would laugh. That's how I knew a player or a play was really something else. If it made my Dad laugh. Years later, Winnipeg was blessed with another big man wearing #33 who'd have the same effect on him.

But Mike was the OG 33.

Here's the only clip I could find of him wearing Blue and Gold. You'll have to stomach the footage being in 10p. (Which in this case could be considered a positive. As your eyes will be spared having to look at the Roughrider uniforms in any sort of definition.)

Get well soon Mike.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
All things considered, the Bombers have navigated FA pretty well so far.

Free agency
They've brought back what's needed (although getting Castillo (and to a lesser extent, Grant) back still would be nice), and the impact of the players they've lost should be mitigated by those players being on a decline, and in positions where it's relatively easy to find effective rookie Americans.

We've retained the best player in the league — Oliveira — who would've been the MOP if not for the Toronto Effect. Him taking less to stay here is gravy.

Schoen is the best receiver in the league. Lawler makes spectacular catches but Schoen is far more consistent. I was rather resigned to the fact that Schoen was gone in free agency. Getting him back is insane. Not sure how they got him to take $230k when a guy like Tim White is looking at $300k. The only bummer about this is it will hit me financially as I now will be purchasing a Schoen jersey.

Losing Hardrick isn't great, but honestly, it'll be the locker room/culture stuff we'll miss more. I don't know how he won the West's most outstanding lineman last year, he was in a clear decline. I'd put it at 50/50 that he's completely washed this year. Good for him to get that money, stupid for Sask to offer that money.

Speaking of guys in a decline, I think you can apply some of those same criticisms to Stanley Bryant, but at least he has a longer track record of success (literally the GOAT CFL tackle) and he took a pay cut to stick around.

I love Jeffcoat, but what it comes down to is he can't stay healthy in most seasons. Last year he was healthy, but frankly he wasn't that effective. Honestly Haba showed more in brief flashes last year, although you aren't likely to get prime Jeffcoat out of Haba and I'm not sure you'll get Jeffcoat's overall consistency out of him. But I understand the decision to move on.

Houston's INTs will be missed. Houston getting burned deep constantly will not.

Offence
Collaros is still the best QB in the league, but it's not like he has much competition for that spot. Problem is, one of the bottom tier QBs in the league just won the Grey Cup. Collaros might be the best, but he's not the CFL's version of Mahomes where that guy takes a mid team kicking and screaming to the champioship. Collaros is great, but there's going to be real pressure on him to perform in the playoffs. He hasn't been good in November. And honestly, Castillo should've won Grey Cup MVP in 2021, not Collaros. He'll probably torch teams all season, but there will (and should) be questions about how he can perform in the playoffs. He needs to silence those critics this year. Getting Streveler back is fun. Prukop did well in that role the past couple seasons, so it's not like we needed an upgrade there. Prukop was a good scrambler and automatic on 2nd/3rd and short too, but Streveler will do the same for us. He'll replace some of the locker room goodness that we're losing with Hardrick leaving, too. Hopefully Barriere can be a solid developmental project; he does have tantalizing stats, but he's already 26 and it seems like literally every CFL training camp QB has good college stats.

People online have been saying Oliveira benefitted from the o-line last year and that he'll take a step back this year with Hardrick gone, but those people either weren't watching the Bombers last year, or are just coping. The o-line kinda sucked last year tbh, and Oliveira has developed into a stud everywhere - running, receiving, blocking. Plus, he rescues puppies. What's not to like? If he can stay healthy, I can see him as the league's best player again. I was rewatching his tape yesterday and he was just toying with teams last year. He's a special talent.

I've kinda already covered Schoen (which is ironically something no DBs in the league can seem to do), but for my money he's the best receiver in the league, and his consistency and TDs are huge to bring back. Lawler is a good complement to that as the deep threat, go-up-and-get-the-ball type of receiver. Demski is an insane WR3. Wolitarsky is a solid, productive Canadian. Gonna miss Bailey and his blocking, and fire, but as WR4 he was a luxury, and we should be able to pick up a decent American rookie to replace him.

The offensive line wasn't amazing last year, but I don't see it taking too much of a step back. Geoff Gray sucked last year and he's gone, which is good. Eli/Dobson/Neufeld/Kolankowski aren't bad on the interior. I'm not sure how the CFL draft looks but they might take a guard in the first round. Bryant should at least provide above average tackle play so just have to hope the American RT we bring in isn't a complete pylon.

Defence
I'm interested to see how much different Younger's schemes will be for the D. The defence should benefit overall from losing Hall, although he remains on the coaching staff so it's an interesting dynamic. Wouldn't be surprised if Younger has some growing pains, too.

I tend to agree that the DL could be a weak spot. Willie is still great, though not the MODP that he was in his prime, IMO. I'm confident that Haba/another American can be productive on the other end, but we aren't gonna have an elite pass rush, I don't think. Lawson/Thomas will split the Canadian spot at DT, and an American will fill the other spot. Hopefully they find someone closer to Stove Richardson than to what's-his-face from last year. DT hasn't been a strong spot for us since Stove left.

Linebackers — a bit of a question mark IMO. Bighill is still good, he's a field general and will help the team out a lot just with his experience. But he's clearly in a decline and we should be wary of a further drop in play from him. While I don't think he's one of the weakest LBs in the league at this point, he's definitely not a gamebreaker anymore and we need to find someone competent to take some snaps from him. Wilson is another question mark. He was elite in 2021 and 2022 before his injury, but he came back last year and looked to be a step behind. Some guys never fully recover from an Achilles injury, so I hope that isn't the case with him.

I agree with Holden that Kramdi is likely the SAM. Not sure I agree with that decision, but as an incumbent Canadian it's gonna be hard for anyone to win that spot from him.

Nichols wasn't AS good last year in the secondary as he usually is, but was still great, good to have him back. Holm was dynamite too. I don't think he'll get a contract in the NFL. I expect him back for the beginning of next year. Alexander is similar to Nichols wherein I don't think he was as good as normal, but was still solid. Just gotta hope for no further decline. Or at least a minimal decline. As for Houston's replacement, the Bombers have actually done a good job at finding DBs recently (Nichols, Alford, Holm, Houston all come to mind) so I'm actually not quite concerned. Long gone are the days of bums like Suber, Stewart, and Washington policing our secondary. Ford will certainly be in the mix there.

Special Teams
Like I said, I'm hoping Castillo will be back. I never thought finding a decent kicker (especially an import kicker) was such a task, but given the struggles throughout the league (Edmonton comes to mind) and here in Winnipeg, maybe there just aren't that many reliable kickers around. I can't see Castillo costing too much more than he was last year or than other kickers are, so hopefully they get a deal done there. I'd like Grant back too, but it seems like he has a long-term injury each year and I think you could find a solid (but not as great) American option for cheaper to replace him. I think it'll come down to how much money he wants, I think the Bombers will bring him back if he wants to come back at a reasonable $$ value.

Seeing how Mike Miller does as he makes the transition straight to ST coordinator from player will be an interesting storyline to follow this year. Our special teams coverage both on returns and on kick coverage was pitiful last year, and we need to see some improvement here. Sheahan was okay as punter. If he's the Global we're going with than so be it. I think we'll miss Exume and Hansen on the teams (granted Hansen wasn't exactly all that and a bag of chips last year). It's hard to determine who will be good STers at this stage but we really need improvement here. Having both Halletts back will certainly help.

Early Thoughts on this Season
As others have said, the Bombers are killing free agency again. Contrast that to Toronto, who got duped into giving a hot-headed, locker-room-cancer average QB the contract they did and are absolutely hemorrhaging talent as a consequence. I find it difficult to believe Toronto will have a fantastic year given their roster turnover and given how Kelly wasn't the Mahomes-level player TSN tried making him out to be. And now that all his help is leaving ... Montreal will be fun to follow. They likely aren't as good as the seven-win streak, Grey Cup-winning team that they ended the year as or as bad as the team that couldn't beat anyone over .500 all year. I'd pick them to win the East. Hamilton is in a bit of a weird spot, especially at QB, but they'll probably make the playoffs almost by default. Ottawa is improving but still a long ways off. It'll be fun watching Brown but I'm not sure it'll go all that well for him — that's not so much a knock on him as it is on the team around him.

Meanwhile in the West, I keep reading on Reddit about how Sask with Corey Mace are contenders for 1st in the West, but I don't see it. Their offensive line is still suspect, and if they think Hardrick is turning that around by himself then I've got a bridge to sell them. Further, their biggest issue is they don't have a QB. Their offensive line got Collaros killed, it got Fajardo killed, it got Harris killed, and now what? BC is the bigger problem in the West for the Bombers IMO, although they've lost some talent too. I wouldn't count on VAJ repeating the kind of season he just had either. The Alberta teams are going in different directions, Edmonton getting better, Calgary getting worse, but I don't see either of them as threats.

So the Bombers, despite losing some talent, look well-positioned to make another run at the Grey Cup. They have, again, had a successful free agency. The thing is, none of that matters if they can't win the big one in November. The offence with Collaros/Streveler/Oliveira/Schoen/Lawler/Demski WILL absolutely butcher teams all season, but that will be for not if they can't win the Grey Cup. Can Collaros perform in the playoffs? That's up in the air. I'm not confident he will. The Bombers, while not as good as 2021, are still a good team. A great team, even. But all it comes down to is this: there were only three good teams in the league last season, and none of them won the Grey Cup.

Kramdi was fine at SLB. Always around the ball coverage was good. When you see very little balls thrown your way, you're doing something right.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not really surprising. Both this type of behaviour from Kelly and a CFL coach only being paid $25k a year.

Reactions: Fairview

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The Argos and Chad Kelly might be in serious trouble. Rick Westhead sent out a tweet that a former Argos employee has filed a wrongful dismissal suit against the team claiming Kelly sexually harrassed her and the team did nothing about if after she reported it...and then terminated her employment. She wasn't someone who just started working for the team for a few months either. She had been employed by the team for 5 or 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad