OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread - Off-Season Mode - Draft Upcoming April 30

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Once again the eye test from a fan. Pal, I just watched several videos on Dion Sanders. Found many where he got burned. Again, no stats to back the claim that he was a pylon. No stats from the Grey Cup to prove anything. All of this nonsense is conjecture and can't be proven. Like you said, we'll see I guess.
Okay, “pal,” you’ll have to explain to me what point you’re trying to make. Surely you don’t believe Houston is as special a talent as Deion Sanders was, right?

I also didn’t say Houston was a pylon. I’m just responding to your implication that I’m only saying Houston got burned because he left the team. Do you think I just pulled that out of my ass? No. He did get burned. My “eye test” and those clips show that. And that’s fine, every DB gets burned every so often, it’s the nature of that position, but I do not believe it would be wise for the Bombers to make Houston the highest paid DB in the league for several reasons: one, being him not being a shutdown DB like say a Nichols, two, being we had limited cap to pay for numerous free agents, and, three, we have had much success bringing in American DBs over the past several years.

Even if Houston is the best DB in the league, I wouldn’t take him over Schoen or Oliveira. We’ll find another good DB for cheaper.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
13 DE?! Just looked at the roster and I counted 8, including Jefferson. Where are the other 5? I hope you're right because the 7 listed other than Jefferson are less than impressive. Most haven't even played a down in this league.
DL... typo... like calm down man

Also haba looked really good last year

• Haha
Reactions: rkp and TS Quint

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Learn something every day. 2022 CBA made a change to the National Draft. In the past the CFL added two "territorial picks" at the end of the second round. The teams with the two worst records in the CFL were awarded two extra picks at the end of the 2nd round that could only be used on "territorial players". Each CFL team had an area and you could only use those picks on players from your area. Led to some odd things like Ottawa taking Jesse Luketa in the 2nd round, when as an NFL draft pick he'd normally have been round 5 or later as he was from the Ottawa area and they were limited in what they could select.

That has since gone away. In it's stead the CFL grants two extra drafts picks at the end of the 2nd round to the teams who used Nationals on the most snaps in the past season. And these picks are no longer limited to territorial selections.
As per the 2022 collective bargaining agreement, beginning with this year's draft, the two teams that had National players featured in the highest percentage of snaps played in the 2023 CFL season will each be awarded an additional second-round pick.[3] Because of this change, there will no longer be second-round territorial selections for the two worst teams from the previous season.

Last year those teams were the BC Lions 1st so they get pick 19 and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2nd so they get pick 20 as an extra pick this year.

Bombers currently hold the follow picks for the 2024 Draft.
WPG 1st Round (8)
WPG 2nd Round (17)
NAT Comp Pick (20)
WPG 3rd Round (28)
WPG 4th Round (37)
OTT 5th Round (40)
WPG 5th Round (46)
WPG 6th Round (55)
WPG 7th Round (64)
WPG 8th Round (73)

9 selections. Bombers do really need to re-stock on Canadian talent so I like the loading up on picks, with 3 top 20 selections this will give them options to load up.

Biggest Bomber Needs in Draft In My Opinion in Random Order
Backup WR - Starting two Canadians at WR they need to add some depth here with the departure of O'Leary-Orange. I expect Jeremy Murphy to play a bigger role this year, but additional help would be welcome.
FB - Mike Miller played a key role on the team for a long time. They tried out Konnor Burtenshaw in Miller's ST role last year, but eventually didn't feel comfortable with him on O as he never played there. They ended up having to go American at FB/ST with ex-Marine Damian Jackson, so this is a hole the Bombers will desperately being trying fill this with a Canadian as they've since released Jackson.
DE - Could always use another rotational DE. Anthony Bennett was disappointing in his rookie year as a 27yo I'm not convinced there's much upside there. With Hanson gone, they really need some non-American help here, IMO.
Backup LB/ST - I haven't been following the closest to the Bombers this off-season but IIRC Briggs retired, Maruo is released, and Gauthier is getting long in the tooth. They've been trying for years to address this with little success as they've drafted Max Charbonneau (will likely be back this camp, but he was SO stiff last year can't see him improving to the point where he makes the team), Robbie Lowes (couldn't stay healthy), Kyle Rodgers (no memory of this guy) and Tanner Cadwallader (a massive success for a 6th rounder as a STer) all in the past 4 drafts.

For those unaware, don't get fooled into thinking the Bombers will be taking a flyer on a guy like Tanner McLachlan. Big rangy TE that tore up the NFL combine is expected to be a Rd 3-5 pick in NFL, the Bombers don't take these types late in draft. They go with Kerfalla Exume, Tanner Cadwallader, Konnor Burtenshaw types late in the draft, limited upside STer rather than taking the big swings. Just how it is haha.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Went to the Streveler and Bryant signing today. Line-up was insane haha. Strev is sure popular. I’ve met Streveler before and his energy is contagious, seems like a great guy. Bryant’s social handle is @my_humble_self (or something to that effect) and it’s fitting, seems like a very modest guy, he’s the GOAT CFL tackle so it was so cool being able to meet him.

This season can’t come fast enough.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Wade Miller doesn't get enough credit for all this good news IMO. This was a bit of a basketcase organization before he stepped in and fixed literally everything. And he is about as hands-on as it gets, I see him on the concourse on gamedays helping direct staff and answering questions, hell, I saw him at the soccer complex last month working with guys who I assume were usports players getting ready for the combine. Not in a micromanaging kind of way, but because he cares and wants everything to be perfect. The dude just drips leadership and the Bombers are lucky to have him.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Wade Miller doesn't get enough credit for all this good news IMO. This was a bit of a basketcase organization before he stepped in and fixed literally everything. And he is about as hands-on as it gets, I see him on the concourse on gamedays helping direct staff and answering questions, hell, I saw him at the soccer complex last month working with guys who I assume were usports players getting ready for the combine. Not in a micromanaging kind of way, but because he cares and wants everything to be perfect. The dude just drips leadership and the Bombers are lucky to have him.
Yah Wade, he is ok.

Reactions: Ponds

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Leadership and sweat

Reactions: Ponds and rkp

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This org was a mess before Wade but full marks for getting the hire right to whomever was responsible.

Most of my predictions I get wrong but on this one I nailed it. I had insider trading knowledge so I guess it wasn't a fair prediction. I happened to sit on a few boards with Wade before he was hired and based on getting to know him and work with him I predicted he would turn things around and be very successful

He was the perfect fit because he has huge passion for the CFL product and he has fierce pride. He is also a former player which can't hurt. What I saw on the board is that he is a really hard worker, business smart, creative, and competitive. Some people on volunteer boards can be pretty lazy and he didn't suffer fools lightly and he somewhat enjoys the heel role.

What I expected from him was that he would run the business side really well and also run the event part better than those before. The one part that surprised me the most was on the football ops side. He seemed to get his guys in Walters and O'Shea but the master stroke was he was patient with them. Wade can be a bull in a China shop and I was impressed he stuck with his guys. I knew he would never settle for anything but a Cup at some point nonmatter who's toes got stepped on.

One thing that didn't surprise me at all is that Wade gets "IT". I heard the CMO of the Lakers and Mark Cuban (Mavs) both discuss this topic but Wade lives it and has from day one. With the Bombers football is the product but that's not what Wade is selling, he is selling an "Experience". Its an emotional connection that is omnipresent. From the parking lot where you can tailgate, its alive in the concourse, outside the stadium with all the game day events, with the staff, on field production, and the list is endless. Of course a winning team and the championships are massive but its about much more than that.

I think people either get it or they don't and the showmanship is in Wade's blood. He is cementing his legacy as a the guy who really turned around the Bombers Brand on and off the field.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This org was a mess before Wade but full marks for getting the hire right to whomever was responsible.

Most of my predictions I get wrong but on this one I nailed it. I had insider trading knowledge so I guess it wasn't a fair prediction. I happened to sit on a few boards with Wade before he was hired and based on getting to know him and work with him I predicted he would turn things around and be very successful

He was the perfect fit because he has huge passion for the CFL product and he has fierce pride. He is also a former player which can't hurt. What I saw on the board is that he is a really hard worker, business smart, creative, and competitive. Some people on volunteer boards can be pretty lazy and he didn't suffer fools lightly and he somewhat enjoys the heel role.

What I expected from him was that he would run the business side really well and also run the event part better than those before. The one part that surprised me the most was on the football ops side. He seemed to get his guys in Walters and O'Shea but the master stroke was he was patient with them. Wade can be a bull in a China shop and I was impressed he stuck with his guys. I knew he would never settle for anything but a Cup at some point nonmatter who's toes got stepped on.

One thing that didn't surprise me at all is that Wade gets "IT". I heard the CMO of the Lakers and Mark Cuban (Mavs) both discuss this topic but Wade lives it and has from day one. With the Bombers football is the product but that's not what Wade is selling, he is selling an "Experience". Its an emotional connection that is omnipresent. From the parking lot where you can tailgate, its alive in the concourse, outside the stadium with all the game day events, with the staff, on field production, and the list is endless. Of course a winning team and the championships are massive but its about much more than that.

I think people either get it or they don't and the showmanship is in Wade's blood. He is cementing his legacy as a the guy who really turned around the Bombers Brand on and off the field.

Thanks for the very clear expose...

Wade is demonstratively passionate... his level of engagement at all levels is apparent...

And he is always getting his hands on... getting them dirty... him being him, because he is out amongst the rest of us "fans" involved in the process and as a fan himself... I've shook his hand many times just reaching out when I see him... he has no clue who I am... I visit the Pinnacle Club with my Brother's friends and I come from the upper deck rail on the opposite side of the field... you reach out your hand to him... he will acknowledge and engage you... that is rare... a sense of duty and a passion for others... I know how he feels, how he thinks as I served a whole community in Brandon and the surrounding catchment area when I operated my restaurant there... I had people reach out their hands knowing me and acknowledging me... I was in the public eye, a local celeb even... but I felt honored every time strangers acknowledged me... because it validated my level of commitment, passion and sense of duty to serve others... I get Wade... I get "IT"...

I look forward to shaking his hand very soon... I'm looking forward to being at what is now "The Princess"... watching the Blue Bombers play...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Draft Tmw.

Holden's list of Bombers needs to address in the Canadian draft
1. WR
2. LB (ST)
3. FB (ST)
4. OL (Developmental)

We'll see where they go. Global draft is in the morning, with the Canadian draft in the afternoon.
Know anything about the players who should be up when we're drafting? I haven't looked into the draft at all.

You don't think they'll look at a DL?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Know anything about the players who should be up when we're drafting? I haven't looked into the draft at all.

You don't think they'll look at a DL?

I've traditionally been fairly awful at mock drafting CFL. So don't take my word on where they might draft haha. And all of my notes below about prospects are exclusively generated from watching clips and scouting reports from people far more in the know that I.

However I don't see DL as a big need for the Bombers. I did say above that DE is a position they might look, and they very well might. But on the interior Cameron Lawson is developing into a premier Canadian DT. We started to see glimpses of it last year. And while he's been around quite a while (drafted by MTL in 2020, traded to Bombers before 2022 season) he's STILL younger than projected #1 overall pick* in the draft this year at only 25 years old. Of course you have the stalwart Jake Thomas still around and contributing as a rotational interior guy. On the outside you have the departure of Jeffcoat, but Bombers have shown little indication they want to flip that position Canadian. Anthony Bennett is still around as a depth guy at end. They could certainly upgrade on him, IMO, but I don't think it's high priority.

*=Projected #1 Overall pick is 26 year old LB Joel Dublanko who played last year in USFL after stints in NFL following a career at U of Cincinnati where he graduated following the 2021 season, just for reference.

Some guys I'd like to see the Bombers look at
Round 1 Targets
WR Kevens Clercius - UConn
- This guys scouting profile reads nearly identical to Rasheed Bailey. Has the physical tools, loves to play physical, great blocker, embraces whatever role that's given to him. But has struggled to have the production you'd expect from such a good player. I don't know that's a starter, but should be a quality backup that can play in certain packages for sure. With only Jeremy Murphy to backup both Demski and Wolitarsky I think WR is a need and this guy could be a good fit.
G George Una - Windsor - Physical blocker who plays with an edge. Good size, and probably play all 3 interior positions with ease and fill in at tackle when needed as well. Bombers have 6 OL locked in, but could always use more depth.
G Kyle Hergel - Boston College - If he wasn't already signed by the New Orleans Saints he'd be a potential #1 overall pick. However he got very little guaranteed money in New Orleans so he doesn't have that great a chance of sticking. Will likely be a top end G as soon as he arrives in Canada, if he ever does. Likely gone by pick #8, and his talent level may impress New Orleans to stick long enough to get a real shot down south.
DE Luke Brubacher - Wilfred Laurier - I doubt he'll be there at 8, but he's the best DE available. Despite having only started football post pandemic, he has had a meteoric rise. He's got great testing numbers for NFL, nevermind CFL. Obviously very raw, but most are projecting this guy to be in CFL for just a year or two before he heads down south once he's been coached up a little bit. Would be a interesting dart throw.
Round 2 Targets
SLB Melique Straker - Arkansas State
- That's right a true SLB prospect, those are quite rare. Once projected as a Round 1 player, he's more of a late 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder after some horrendous testing numbers. But the Bombers are the only CFL team that regularly starts a Canadian at SLB and could use some depth there. This is a guy who didn't have a defined position in college, they player him at "star" position, which was a mix of nickel corner, linebacker, and safety. Essentially designed their defense to let him make plays.
LB Nick Wiebe - University of Saskatchewan - Former walk on at the elite Oregon program in NCAA, he's a potential starting WLB or MLB in CFL. Will not play this season with an injury, but looks to be a top prospect that might be gotten in the 2nd as he will have a "red shirt" year essentially. Bombers have shown a willingness to wait in the past with Liam Dobson and Jonathan Kongbo.
RB/FB Michael Chris-Ike - Delaware State - His low end is a quality STer and FB. But has the measureables to potentially threaten to actually have a chance to be a RB. Violent runner but can be a bit awkward, his production never matched the testing. But at least he will be a quality STer and can add some work at FB which the Bombers desperately missed with former FB Mike Miller missing all of 2023 and now he's the ST coach for the team.
Various Late Round Guys
RB Matthew Peterson - University of Alberta
- This guy is a true RB, projecting probably similar to a Johnny Augustine. A lack of size means he'll be a slider in the draft. However he is flat out productive with the ball in his hands, and despite the size limitations he loves to play physical. That's most of the battle in getting RB's to pass block, they gotta love that contact. While RB isn't a super big need this guy to me screams an undervalued guy they'll be able to get some use of like Augustine at the low end, potential starter at the high end.
TE/LS Brad Hladik - University of British Columbia - If they fail to get Chris-Ike earlier, they really should be taking Hladik in rounds 3 or 4. This guy will be able to fill in somewhat as a TE when needed, and can do some work as the FB as well catching passes and blocking. Likely long term he is more of a LS down the road as well, which would be perfect if he can contribute as a STer and FB for a year or two before moving the LS full time when 36 year old Mike Benson hangs them up as he will likely do soon.
LB Ryan Baker - University of British Columbia - Tested poorly, but a two time Canada West All-Star at LB has elite ST potential. Perfect size and tape plays better than measurables. A gamer. Former QB so can also be a leader on the ST unit. Bombers desperately need to add youth and talent to the ST ranks this year as they've dealt with alot of injuries and retirements recently.

Bombers Picks
WPG 1st Round (8)
WPG 2nd Round (17)
NAT Comp Pick (20)
WPG 3rd Round (28)
WPG 4th Round (37)
OTT 5th Round (40)
WPG 5th Round (46)
WPG 6th Round (55)
WPG 7th Round (64)
WPG 8th Round (73)

Last edited: