OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2023 Season - Another terrible disappointment. NEXT: Tough Decisions on How to Rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Jackson Jeffcoat

Currently playing Celebration by Kool & the Gang at work :bow:
Thanks. Yeah I really like Jeffcoat but I can't remember a season here he hasn't been hurt at some point.

Is there a worthwhile FA we could bring in to replace him that wouldn't break the bank?

Reactions: snowkiddin

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Thanks. Yeah I really like Jeffcoat but I can't remember a season here he hasn't been hurt at some point.

Is there a worthwhile FA we could bring in to replace him that wouldn't break the bank?
I would break the bank and go for betts

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
if we can bring back schoen and sign betts to replace jeffcoat then I would be very happy with this offseason
Ya given a choice between Schoen and Olivera, I'd go with Schoen. Love Olivera but not enough funds to sign both and I think Augustine is not a huge drop off and also Canadian. Or sign an American RB at a significant discount.

Really would hate to lose Schoen. This guy will be at the top of the league for years in catches and yards and is so consistent and clutch. He would be at the top of my list to re-sign.

Reactions: kanadalainen

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Ya given a choice between Schoen and Olivera, I'd go with Schoen. Love Olivera but not enough funds to sign both and I think Augustine is not a huge drop off and also Canadian. Or sign an American RB at a significant discount.

Really would hate to lose Schoen. This guy will be at the top of the league for years in catches and yards and is so consistent and clutch. He would be at the top of my list to re-sign.
I hate to say it, and is a rather tough choice as Brady was very dynamic, but I’d rather Schoen if I had the choice.
Augustine is not the season long answer. We’d need a great other RB.
Especially if it helps going hard after Betts!

Schoen is key. Brady could be replaced with our OL.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I hate to say it, and is a rather tough choice as Brady was very dynamic, but I’d rather Schoen if I had the choice.
Augustine is not the season long answer. We’d need a great other RB.
Especially if it helps going hard after Betts!

Schoen is key. Brady could be replaced with our OL.
Schoen is supposed to be seeking $350,000 a season. If he worth that? After the Blue signed Streveler for $120,000, I don't think there going to drop a third of a million on one receiver.

• Haha
Reactions: The Blue Baron

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Schoen is supposed to be seeking $350,000 a season. If he worth that? After the Blue signed Streveler for $120,000, I don't think there going to drop a third of a million on one receiver.
I doubt Schoen gets $350K. And we already freed up alot of funds not paying Drew Brown money for Streveler and by replacing Jeffcoat for a no doubt less paid D-lineman. Maybe still can't swing Schoen but I'd be loading up what we could to put in front of him and then sign a RB.

I even prefer Schoen over highlight reel Lawler just for his consistency and higher catch count. Lawler is great but not worth $300K either and can sometimes disappear.

Our run game will be different this year too with option packages added for Streveler. So somewhat less reliance on a feature back.

I'd be very happy if we go to battle with Schoen, Lawler, Augustine/American RB. and Streveler getting some run package snaps.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I doubt Schoen gets $350K. And we already freed up alot of funds not paying Drew Brown money for Streveler and by replacing Jeffcoat for a no doubt less paid D-lineman. Maybe still can't swing Schoen but I'd be loading up what we could to put in front of him and then sign a RB.

I even prefer Schoen over highlight reel Lawler just for his consistency and higher catch count. Lawler is great but not worth $300K either and can sometimes disappear.

Our run game will be different this year too with option packages added for Streveler. So somewhat less reliance on a feature back.

I'd be very happy if we go to battle with Schoen, Lawler, Augustine/American RB. and Streveler getting some run package snaps.
Once again... Dru Brown maybe made $90k last season - we didn't free up any money...

I think Oliviera is far more important than Schoen for blocking and for morale... we saw that when lawler left - Collaros makes receivers not the other way around but without a top RB he'll get swarmed all season

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
It's funny: about two years ago I was a non-believer of Oliveira and wanted to see Augustine get more carries - after all, Augustine had averaged way more yards per carry during that time, and Oliveira didn't seem ready for the role after Harris' departure. But since Aug/Sep 2022 and onwards, Brady has developed into that fully capable RB you dream of in the CFL: running, catching, blocking - he excelled at all three last season, and it showed. Schoen is excellent in his own right as well, but when you have the opportunity to have a role-model of a player in the city that he was born and raised in on your team, I think it does wonders for morale and the locker room, like when Harris returned in 2016 and really started the turnaround for the club. I don't have a lot of faith in O'Leary-Orange to be even average in Schoen's stead (if Bombers keep his talents), but Lawler-Demski-Wolitarsky is a very capable trio for the team to roll out. Walters usually likes to make a WR splash for a big name that no one expected that doesn't pan out every offseason - but maybe this time, it'll work!

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
It's funny: about two years ago I was a non-believer of Oliveira and wanted to see Augustine get more carries - after all, Augustine had averaged way more yards per carry during that time, and Oliveira didn't seem ready for the role after Harris' departure. But since Aug/Sep 2022 and onwards, Brady has developed into that fully capable RB you dream of in the CFL: running, catching, blocking - he excelled at all three last season, and it showed. Schoen is excellent in his own right as well, but when you have the opportunity to have a role-model of a player in the city that he was born and raised in on your team, I think it does wonders for morale and the locker room, like when Harris returned in 2016 and really started the turnaround for the club. I don't have a lot of faith in O'Leary-Orange to be even average in Schoen's stead (if Bombers keep his talents), but Lawler-Demski-Wolitarsky is a very capable trio for the team to roll out. Walters usually likes to make a WR splash for a big name that no one expected that doesn't pan out every offseason - but maybe this time, it'll work!
I think Schoen may make the "Lawler mistake" this summer. Go to another team for a lot more money, then discover that playing for a loser isn't much fun and also damaging to your reputation when you have a moron for a QB.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think Schoen may make the "Lawler mistake" this summer. Go to another team for a lot more money, then discover that playing for a loser isn't much fun and also damaging to your reputation when you have a moron for a QB.
If I was ottawa I'd throw big money at schoen

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

I really don't like this. Thomas is below-average and his best-before date was like a year or two ago. The Bomber defensive tackles were a weak spot last season and were just ok the year before. The Bombers haven't had been good on the interior since 2021. I hope he is a backup that rotates in. Kongbo would be a nice target as a starter and he's quite easily better than Thomas. I'm a bit worried about O'shea's loyalty to aging players and not moving on to better and younger players. All too reminicent of Dave Ritchie in 2004 and doug Berry in 2008.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Oliveria was the best player in the league last year. Augustine is a massive drop off.

I know RB's are a dime a dozen but I dont blame Brady for trying to re-set the $$$ on feature backs. A consistent star RB should be more than 50% as valuable as a feature receiver.

Hope the Bombers can keep both.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Oliveria was the best player in the league last year. Augustine is a massive drop off.

I know RB's are a dime a dozen but I dont blame Brady for trying to re-set the $$$ on feature backs. A consistent star RB should be more than 50% as valuable as a feature receiver.

Hope the Bombers can keep both.
For sure the dream scenario is we figure out a way to keep both. Would love to see Brady back but sounds like the money is out of line for the Bombers now.

Augustine and Olivera were close when they both broke in but Olivera was given the opportunity to be the feature back and he ran with it. Not sure we've seen the best of Augustine yet. Any new back will be a drop off.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If Brady is gone, seems likely…. Then we go American at RB. It’s that simple. Augustine isn’t here to start he’s here to play special teams. Maybe he gets the odd rep here and there but if no Brady, guaranteed Augustine is not starting. We have seen the best of him.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Brown reportedly made $300,000 last year plus whatever they paid Prukop. At $120,000 plus bonuses this is a massive cap favour to the club.

keep em coming now Kyle.

15) Dru Brown, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)

Hard money: $82,000
Maximum value: $97,000

The Oklahoma State product has a $75,000 base salary with $7,000 in housing money and will collect $500 each time he plays more than 51 percent of Winnipeg’s offensive plays in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad