OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2023 Season - Another terrible disappointment. NEXT: Tough Decisions on How to Rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
O Sheas s comments on legghio were interesting...looks like he will be back after all

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Well he is under contract. I to would like to see Demski next. We need a nice power interior lineman to go with Willie. I’m on the fence for Jeffcoat. He cannot seem to stay healthy.
its just more than he is under contract....after the game how many were calling for legghio to be punted into the sun.......there r no guaranteed contracts in the cfl so he could be cut anytime....am sure all the legghio haters out there r disappointed to hear what MOS had to say.....me, wouldnt mind him coming back as long as he improves as much as he did from the previous season, and for a kicker who is supposed to have a big leg, his kick offs and punts are mediocre......wonder if it has do to with the coaching he is getting......in training camp, have seen him boom a number of kicks.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
its just more than he is under contract....after the game how many were calling for legghio to be punted into the sun.......there r no guaranteed contracts in the cfl so he could be cut anytime....am sure all the legghio haters out there r disappointed to hear what MOS had to say.....me, wouldnt mind him coming back as long as he improves as much as he did from the previous season, and for a kicker who is supposed to have a big leg, his kick offs and punts are mediocre......wonder if it has do to with the coaching he is getting......in training camp, have seen him boom a number of kicks.
Meh, O’Shea isn’t the one who decides if he’ll be back next season, Walters is. Legs is one of MOS’s players right now; he’s not gonna throw him under the bus, it’s just not the type of coach he is. That’s one of the reasons we’ve been able to attract so many big-name players. I’ve tried liking Legghio all year and I’d be very surprised if he’s brought back. He was being booed at home literally in the pre-season last year, and now we don’t have a Grey Cup win to smooth things over. It’s going to be hard for them to bring him back now.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Meh, O’Shea isn’t the one who decides if he’ll be back next season, Walters is. Legs is one of MOS’s players right now; he’s not gonna throw him under the bus, it’s just not the type of coach he is. That’s one of the reasons we’ve been able to attract so many big-name players. I’ve tried liking Legghio all year and I’d be very surprised if he’s brought back. He was being booed at home literally in the pre-season last year, and now we don’t have a Grey Cup win to smooth things over. It’s going to be hard for them to bring him back now.

I spent basically this entire year defending Liegghio. Yes it was mostly quieted in the summer when he was 90%+ on FGs with a couple XP missed. It intensified when he f***ed just getting a single v MTL. But I never got a sense O'Shea lost faith the kid. I think O'Shea/Walters are hesitant to move on seeing what they did with Hajrullahu. They decided to move on from Lirim after 2016 despite his promising 2014 rookie year after struggling in 2015. They decided to spend the money to get Medlock at that time. But I don't think with this roster you can afford to splurge on kicker (particularly American), we were in a different situation in 2016. I feel like O'Shea/Walters would rather gamble on cheap Liegghio hoping for the Harjullahu type breakout than spend on this position. I'm not sure I agree with that after the Grey Cup with Liegghio, but I understand the rationale. I could 100% see Liegghio being back as the K/P next year. I do think he'll in the CFL for 10 years. But as a kicker I see him for as a Crapigna long-term than Harjullahu we'd hoped for. It could all change if they find a kicker they like in the draft.

Reactions: Jetland162702

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I spent basically this entire year defending Liegghio. Yes it was mostly quieted in the summer when he was 90%+ on FGs with a couple XP missed. It intensified when he f***ed just getting a single v MTL. But I never got a sense O'Shea lost faith the kid. I think O'Shea/Walters are hesitant to move on seeing what they did with Hajrullahu. They decided to move on from Lirim after 2016 despite his promising 2014 rookie year after struggling in 2015. They decided to spend the money to get Medlock at that time. But I don't think with this roster you can afford to splurge on kicker (particularly American), we were in a different situation in 2016. I feel like O'Shea/Walters would rather gamble on cheap Liegghio hoping for the Harjullahu type breakout than spend on this position. I'm not sure I agree with that after the Grey Cup with Liegghio, but I understand the rationale. I could 100% see Liegghio being back as the K/P next year. I do think he'll in the CFL for 10 years. But as a kicker I see him for as a Crapigna long-term than Harjullahu we'd hoped for. It could all change if they find a kicker they like in the draft.
They don't necessarily have to splurge like they did with Medlock to bring in a better kicker than Legghio. Medlock was the best in the league doing double duty - near the top in net-yards per punt, best in the league in converts, and arguably the best in field goals...I know his success rate in field goals wasn't the best, but nobody tested their field goal kicker with more attempts around or above 50+ yards than the Bombers with Medlock. Hopefully they bring in some real competition and not some loser like Mourtado.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
o yes MOS has a big say in whomever comes back!!!!!!

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
They don't necessarily have to splurge like they did with Medlock to bring in a better kicker than Legghio. Medlock was the best in the league doing double duty - near the top in net-yards per punt, best in the league in converts, and arguably the best in field goals...I know his success rate in field goals wasn't the best, but nobody tested their field goal kicker with more attempts around or above 50+ yards than the Bombers with Medlock. Hopefully they bring in some real competition and not some loser like Mourtado.
They could bring back Alexis Serna...:sarcasm:

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
While I don't believe that Liegghio should be released, I believe that at a minimum, the Bombers have to bring in some serious competition at the kicker/punter position. (Darn, in spite of how poorly the Bombers played and were coached in certain aspects of the GC game, at the end, it was still there for the taking.) Liegghio took a bit of a step forward relative to the previous year. However, in three regular season games where he was kicking last year, he missed 3 of 8 FGs and 3 of 8 converts. It would be difficult to not improve on those numbers. So, he did. However, this year he was still 7th of 9 regular kickers in FG% and 8th of 9 in convert success. There was a definite improvement in his %s but relatively speaking he was mediocre at best. And for KOs (yd. per kick), he was 4th among regulars and with a 46.9 yd. punting average, he was 5th among regular punters.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
If it's a confidence issue, that could emerge with time. It's probably a better bet that starting over with whatever affordable alternative there would be.

I wonder if they (or anyone) will ever consider going to 2-pt converts as the default. I guess the thing would be that if you were doing them routinely you'd have to switch it up a lot or else you'd be too predictable.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
While I don't believe that Liegghio should be released, I believe that at a minimum, the Bombers have to bring in some serious competition at the kicker/punter position. (Darn, in spite of how poorly the Bombers played and were coached in certain aspects of the GC game, at the end, it was still there for the taking.) Liegghio took a bit of a step forward relative to the previous year. However, in three regular season games where he was kicking last year, he missed 3 of 8 FGs and 3 of 8 converts. It would be difficult to not improve on those numbers. So, he did. However, this year he was still 7th of 9 regular kickers in FG% and 8th of 9 in convert success. There was a definite improvement in his %s but relatively speaking he was mediocre at best. And for KOs (yd. per kick), he was 4th among regulars and with a 46.9 yd. punting average, he was 5th among regular punters.
Liegghio has always been mentally weak. A lot of his misses come in big games or at key points of games when the pressure is greatest. If they bring him back he will probably come into camp and look good, but you can never trust him in a pressure moment again. His CFL career should be over due to his continued inability to kick in big games.

When you add in the fact that his kickoffs and punting have been inconsistent for his entire career, 4th and 5th in punting and kicking in a 9 team league is the definition of mediocrity. A average at best punter/kicker who you cant trust to make the important kicks has no future as a professional kicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AlaskaJet

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Can he kick field goals? (Sorry dumb joke, people are spamming the Bombers social media with comments like this though)
I think both Neufeld and Jefferson (signed) could try out for punting duties. If the opposing rush collided with either illegally we'd garner a nice fat penalty *and* be secure in the knowledge that their guys would be squashed in the process. :)

(I'll see myself out)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad