Rumor: Winnipeg and Colorado Top Paul Stastny's List of Eventual Landing Spots

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Well, in addition to the Blues giving him a very lucrative offer at the time. I believe if the Avs offered the same contract to Staz, he would've resigned with the Avs but there was extraneous factors such as the Duchene cap and trying to create a certain culture (which both failed, but it was semi-logical at the time).

He liked it in Denver? Sure.

He left because of Mac, Dutch and ROR were entering their prime? Partly (maybe). He was heavy overpayed by the Blues. Don´t underestimate the money....So he didn´t just left because of other players entering their prime. He also left because the Blues offerd more money than the Avs were willing to do and Pauly has family ties there....

If we land Stastny for a reasonable price and term, ok. Otherwise? Stay away from a bidding war. To be honest: Pauly will be the fall-back-Option for some teams who wont get JT....

IF (!!) it really comes down to COL or WPG: Can the Jets afford Stastny for at least 3 years?

Yeah I'm not saying money didn't play a factor, just that there was no great desire from Stastny to leave Colorado. He liked it there and I believe still lives there at times. That said he reportedly turned down more money and more years from other teams to sign the 4-year deal in St. Louis, because he liked the fit and grew up there. Everything I've read indicated he wanted to either stay in Colorado or sign with the Blues. Since it didn't make any sense for the Avs to throw a big new contract his way with a stacked group of younger (and arguably better) centers, the decision was pretty easy for him.

Somebody (ie Montreal) is going to try to throw a ton of money his way this time given the lack of good centers, and at his age that may play a big part in his decision, but it wouldn't shock me if he gave the Avs a bit of a discount as long as they're close.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
i distinctly remember somebody on the Blues board saying 4 years ago, prior to him signing in St. Louis, that he would sign a 4 year deal with STL (the poster may have even gotten the $7M salary correct) and then he would return to Denver to finish his career. It struck me as an odd comment because of the specificity of it, and the speculation at the time was that the Blues might have to go longer than 4 years. Then he signed for 4-years in STL, so...

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
No dog in this race as a Isles fan, but Stastny back in Colorado just feels right to me.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I think the guys in the locker room and a Stastny's wanting to win the cup takes priority. The Jets are his best chance to do this in a Cap environment.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
They were, but let’s not fool ourselves - they got better with him. Especially in the playoffs where he carried that second line.

It wont make a difference. He fit in incredibly well but we can't afford him and they can.

Jets would have to move players out just to sign him to a deal they probably shouldn't be signing him to

Reactions: Joe Strummer

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For the Jets...

Plan A - Sign Stastny to an affordable contract.

Plan B - Compete for his services to drive up the cost as much as possible for rivals. Regardless of current cap space, overpaying catches up to most teams in the cap era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad