Rumor: Winnipeg and Colorado Top Paul Stastny's List of Eventual Landing Spots

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
and Chicago steps in and brings you actually closer to home!!
Oh, but what do we have here?! St. Louis steps onto the turn-buckle, and brings down the "Peter Stastny in a Blues uniform" move! What a sensational entrance into the ring!

Oh ladies and gentlemen, this has turned into a no-bars free-for-all! Winnipeg, Chicago, Colorado, and St. Louis are giving it their all! In all my years of metaphorical broadcasting, I have never seen something quite like this!

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Oh, but what do we have here?! St. Louis steps onto the turn-buckle, and brings down the "Peter Stastny in a Blues uniform" move! What a sensational entrance into the ring!

Oh ladies and gentlemen, this has turned into a no-bars free-for-all! Winnipeg, Chicago, Colorado, and St. Louis are giving it their all! In all my years of metaphorical broadcasting, I have never seen something quite like this!
hahaha, you had your chance, now it's our turn!!

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Jets are the better team right now no question. But the Avs adding a 2C like Stastny would close the gap between the two teams pretty significantly.

It'd be quite the matchup for next season. Depending on what else goes on in the Central I'd wager to guess it'd be a bloodbath of a season between the Jets, Preds, and Avs for the 3 top spots in the central. A 2C is by far the Avs biggest need the summer and Stastny fits it like a glove.

Throw in the potential for us to get a Top 6 Winger like Zadina, Wahlstrom, or Tkachuk from the draft as well and we could be looking at an extremely dangerous top 6 next year and a young but constantly improving Defense as well.

Goaltending though... Is there anything really coming through the pipeline? Or is it just hoping one of Bernier or Varly can step up?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets would need to jump through hoops just to pay him close to market value.

He fits in just perfect on a 2 or 3 year deal in Colorado where they have to room.

This one sounds like it's a foregone conclusion. I'm sure the Avs never wanted to lose him in the first place.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The Avs look like Edmonton V2.Good players-bad team.No chance at a Cup in my lifetime.

The Jets were the youngest team in the playoffs and would have won if not for a hot MAF/cold Ehlers/Laine.

We're give them Bryan Little as a consolation prize.

What :laugh:

That's not true at all. The Avs were literally the youngest team in the entire NHL this year so not sure how they managed to become older then the Jets once the playoffs started.

Someone's already upset they're going to lose Stastny it looks like.

Last edited:

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I just assumed Stastny would end up going right back to STL. Assuming this rumor is accurate, was there something going on in STL that would make him not want to return?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Goaltending though... Is there anything really coming through the pipeline? Or is it just hoping one of Bernier or Varly can step up?

Varly is capable of being an elite tendy. See: 2013/14 Avs, where we won the central division literally on the back of that man and basically nobody else(The kids were good but Varly stole that show, looking back it was absolute robbery by Rask to win that Vezina).

Injuries are the concern with him and will be for the rest of his career. When he's healthy he's a very, very good goalie. Inside the Top 10 across the league. Problem is he doesn't stay healthy long. Maybe a month or two but the nagging groin injuries start to creep in after a dozen starts or so.

Bernier is Bernier. He'll go on a crazy streak and flat out steel 5 or 6 games in a row, and then he'll go lay stinkers in his next 5 or 6. A decent backup and when he's on he can play like a starter and lighten the load of the starter for a few weeks substantially. But he's not a legit #1. The Avs pushed the Preds to 6 games with Bernier and Hammond starting. A healthy Varlamov and the Avs did enough to win that series on the ice, but that's besides the point.

We do have a wild card up our sleeve in the form of Francouz. Literally have no idea what to expect from him. He's put up some absurd numbers in the KHL(2 straight seasons as the #1 goalie in the league and carried a very average team deep into the playoffs this year), but has never played in North America and is a rare Right handed Goalie. He could turn out to be excellent next year and be our future #1. He could also struggle massively and be back in the KHL by December.

Behind those 3 we dont have much right now. But we will have Varly's contract up for renewal in summer of 2019 or we'll have his $6M to put towards signing a legit starting goalie or trading for one.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Not too surprising.

With his family still in Colorado, he probably takes an offer from a Central team and the three that he's played for are probably the front runners.

I hope the Blues bring him back. Dude is a great player.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya, my bad. I forgot the Avs made it.

*backs slowly out of thread*

I have to admit I thought the Jets had a few older guys on the squad, they are quite young but the Avs were definitely younger by a bit. The Jets had Byfuglien(32), Wheeler(31), Hendricks(36), Stastny(31), and Enstrom(32) above 30 that played games for them in the playoffs. The Avs had just Comeau(31), and Wilson(31) above 30 that played.

Both teams had a lot of young kids, between Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Morrissey, and Roslovic on the Jets side and Rantanen, Jost, Girard, Compher, and Mackinnon on the Avs side they definitely both have young cores.

The difference likely comes from the vets on the Winnipeg team being a bit older then the vets on the Avs.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Come on Peter you can either have Laine and Ehlers on your wing or Soderberg and Andrighetto...who? Exactly.

In all seriousness he probably going choose Colorado because his family is living there

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If he wants a Cup, he needs to take a cut.

He’ll probably sign with the Avs and I hope he gets overpaid!!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Come on Peter you can either have Laine and Ehlers on your wing or Soderberg and Andrighetto...who? Exactly.

In all seriousness he probably going choose Colorado because his family is living there

Whoa whoa whoa now. It'd be Jost and Ghetto now, be fair to the man ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad