Confirmed with Link: Winnik plus '16 5th (Anaheim's) for Laich (no retention), Carrick, '16 2nd

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Winnik's an elite 4th liner an PKer IMO.

You guys shouldn't sell him too short, if you are. He is an amazing piece to have on the 4th line. Possession monster, real good on the cycle, and can play well positioning wise and puck retrieval in the d-zone. He just has literally zero finish and little other offensive acumen.

Could you guys fill me in on Carrick? Haven't seen much of him although he got some hype in the past IIRC.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
So, good, they replaced Laich with a legit 4th liner...but a 2nd is quite the price. It won't hurt them, but limits any moves tomorrow.

If anything, it shows how desperate (and willing) they were to move Brooks and free up space...

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

You guys shouldn't sell him too short, if you are. He is an amazing piece to have on the 4th line. Possession monster, real good on the cycle, and can play well positioning wise and puck retrieval in the d-zone. He just has literally zero finish and little other offensive acumen.

Could you guys fill me in on Carrick? Haven't seen much of him although he got some hype in the past IIRC.

Really happy with Winnik. Very useful player. :)

See a few posts above about Carrick.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Carrick's a decent puck-moving defenseman, right-handed, had some nice moments with the Caps but didn't have a future.

The Leafs got a nice package for taking Laich.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012

Awesome. He and Richards should be best friends.

Carrick: Offensive-minded, great set of hands, great skater.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
So nice to have a good GM and a solid move. Good luck Laich, not everyone here hated you. I hope you get a cup someday.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So, good, they replaced Laich with a legit 4th liner...but a 2nd is quite the price. It won't hurt them, but limits any moves tomorrow.

If anything, it shows how desperate (and willing) they were to move Brooks and free up space...

Agreed. Laich out was the priority.

Still have their 1st and prospects to trade or late round picks. But yeah, only a serious impact player or a benchwarmer, not much to spend on something in between.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The price is steep, better be for another move tomorrow (cross my fingers)

no the steep price would have been the first rounder or one of our top prospects that nearly all of us thought we would have to trade to get rid of laich

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Just chiming in, Winnik was traded for a 2nd in 2016 and a 4th rounder just last year, and Winnik has not really fallen off this year, so you can make the case that he absolutely is worth a 2nd.

Man, you guys must really hate Laich judging by this thread hehe.

I'm not sure which team you've been watching, but Winnik has absolutely fallen off this year, not nearly as effective he was last year. Though obviously losing Laich is the biggest part of this trade for you guys, maybe Winnik refinds his game since he is actually playing for something now.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I'm not sure which team you've been watching, but Winnik has absolutely fallen off this year, not nearly as effective he was last year. Though obviously losing Laich is the biggest part of this trade for you guys, maybe Winnik refinds his game since he is actually playing for something now.
Can that be at least in part due to the regression of the team this year though?

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
here ya go.... on iPhone someone can fix for me

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcWyUSAUMAAnOdt?format=pjpg&name=large

CcWyUSAUMAAnOdt

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

It's tough to play for a team that is spinning its wheels and is obviously tanking now.
I'm sure Winnik will regain his form with the Caps.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Wasn't difficult to predict Carrick being moved. Carlson, Niskanen, and Orlov ahead of him with Bowey soon to pass him from behind in the organizational depth chart. Attractive skill set and approaching a point in his development where he's better off in the NHL.

I like his poise, skill, and moxie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad