Post-Game Talk (GBU): Winnepeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres 3PM 02/23/2020

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If we can get anything for Frolik, Sheary, Vesey - sell since they won't help us to the playoffs anyway.
If we can get a middle 6 C with term - buy.

Would've been nice to have Larsson and Girgs extended already.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Krueger is playing those who play the system. It's leading to wins, better than the Housley years.

If Dahlin wants to be the #1, he needs to buy in to the system, like Eichel did

There was also the rumble that Dahlin might not go prior to the game. We don't know if he's 100% and we do know that the coach likes to lean on his "stout" guys in defense-first situations. Granted, those guys don't seem to be very good at the all important parts of puck retrieval and transition out of their own zone, but he does what he does.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
It's been a while since we've had a shot at the playoffs at the trade deadline. I say go for it. Don't break the bank and mortgage the future because this team isn't close to contending for a Cup, but I'm sick and tired of losing.

I'm okay with missing out on 1 or 2 3rd or 4th round picks if it helps change the culture surrounding this team.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
You can't see the difference? We were in a tailspin last year while we are improving this year

People losing their marbles comparing the gum chewer to Krueger. Krueger almost has as many wins in February (months not over yet) as Housley had in his final 42 games. :laugh:

Reactions: GameMisconduct

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Wow this team has life

4 points back of Florida
6 points back of Toronto, 1 game in hand
I haven’t compared the rest of the regular season schedule for each of these teams but who’s got the toughest opponents coming up? For me it’s a case of “fool me once...” I won’t believe the Sabres are in the playoffs until it’s a mathematical lock.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I haven’t compared the rest of the regular season schedule for each of these teams but who’s got the toughest opponents coming up? For me it’s a case of “fool me once...” I won’t believe the Sabres are in the playoffs until it’s a mathematical lock.

Giving what happened in TO last night, I'm not sure who they play matters. :)

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Could you imagine the epic meltdown on hfb if we somehow went on winning streak and pushed Leafs out of the last playoff spot, would be so many tasty tears,
I would bottle and label them as fresh Ontario spring water with Atlantic sea salt and sell them on Ebey. Okposo MoM
I’ve admitted it before that I’m a Matthews - not Leafs fan, so it’d be HILARIOUS to see this! Just wish my favorite player was on a team I can root for...

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Giving what happened in TO last night, I'm not sure who they play matters. :)
Man it must suck being a Leafs fan and seeing your team lose to a zamboni driver (no offense to all zamboni drivers out there). How embarrassing!!!

Reactions: CrazyMonkey1208

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
BS. It gives you possession, which is what most of the game is about. Neutral zone draws might be overrated, but O and D zone draws are important.

And come on, everyone knows +/- is the most overrated.

You are right. Face offs are very important. Looking at charts to say they aren’t is just ridiculous. It impacts the game immediately with possession as you said. I mean if you are down by a goal at the end of the game do you send your worst face off guy out for an offensive zone draw? Same if you are up by a goal in the last minute of play with a defensive zone face off, does the coach say, “Screw it, face offs don’t matter, send out our worst face off guy?”

It has always been such a ridiculous take made by people who are desperate to be the smartest guy in the room.

Reactions: pf8363

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
You are right. Face offs are very important. Looking at charts to say they aren’t is just ridiculous. It impacts the game immediately with possession as you said. I mean if you are down by a goal at the end of the game do you send your worst face off guy out for an offensive zone draw? Same if you are up by a goal in the last minute of play with a defensive zone face off, does the coach say, “Screw it, face offs don’t matter, send out our worst face off guy?”

It has always been such a ridiculous take made by people who are desperate to be the smartest guy in the room.

The theory behind that take is that the best faceoff guys in the league only operate at around 55-60%, and the difference over the course of a season between that and an average guy is negligible. That doesn't mean that losing 85% of draws over the course of a game doesn't make an impact, or that winning an important late game or PP draw doesn't matter. The problem is people like Mike Schopp, who try desperately to be smart despite not understanding the assumptions and nuances behind these numbers and expressions. They hear an analytics guy say "faceoffs don't matter," but don't understand the context behind it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sell. One of the reasons this team has no depth is they let players leave as UFA's (Drury, Briere, Dumont, McKee etc). Girgensons was a first round pick, Larsson came here in the first Pominville trade. We didn't get Sheary, Frolik, or Vesey for free. Asset preservation is crucial. If we can get a couple extra 2nd rounders and lower picks it will be big in the offseason when good teams are more willing to trade players off their roster. Every UFA should be on the block along with a few other players.

All logical. However, I’m doubling down if I’m Botterill. Team has not sniffed the playoffs in years. They’re playing decent and now 6 points out of a playoff spot with 20 games to go.

I’d do what I could to bring in a middle six center (Tierney?) and roll the dice. Belief is a powerful thing.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
All logical. However, I’m doubling down if I’m Botterill. Team has not sniffed the playoffs in years. They’re playing decent and now 6 points out of a playoff spot with 20 games to go.

I’d do what I could to bring in a middle six center (Tierney?) and roll the dice. Belief is a powerful thing.
It reminds me of the 10 game streak. Entertaining but not sustainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad