Post-Game Talk (GBU): Winnepeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres 3PM 02/23/2020

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Oh, ride it out for sure.

Agreed, but I think this surge could be a mirage. The Sabres are going on a four-game road-trip against Colorado, Vegas, Arizona, and Winnipeg--that's going to seal whether this team is legitimately improving, or if they're just riding a hot-streak. I'm expecting them to go 1-2-1 on the road trip.

Still, as a fan, I'm pretty happy with a 7-3-1 February. Hope they keep it up.

Last edited:

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
If the team plays like this in front of him I think JJ should get a chance to show hes ahead of Hutton at this point. I dont want to say hes a better goalie just yet, but the team in front of him was blocking whatever they could and not giving him much work, so let's just keep doing that until Ullmark is back.
I'm pretty sure when the guys are battling out there, whoever is in net is not in their mind.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I don’t mind paying this Kyle Okposo. Is he overpaid? Yes, ofcourse. However, he’s turned into one of our best players and I love having this guy on the team. Looks completely transformed.
My view as well. I love the LOG line. Sure we're overpaying Okposo, and we hoped for higher than 4th line for Girgs, but they do a hell of a job.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It would be totally sabres for them to drag themselves close, Botts freezes at the deadline, then they tank again

The question is what are we adding. Botterill is quoted as wanting a player with term. That could mean any number of things. The obvious need: C. Who that is, who knows. I agree with this sentiment on getting close and then doing nothing tomorrow. But, we shall see.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I'm pretty sure when the guys are battling out there, whoever is in net is not in their mind.

Have you seen how they play in front of Hutton vs Ullmark? I think who is in net is at the front of their mind, in fact I think it may be so heavily on their mind it's why they seem to have such huge brain farts when in their own end. I have never played at a high level, but from what I have played I can tell you it's a totally different game when you can trust the other guys on the ice with you to not just cover themselves but cover for your mistakes. It allows you to just play and not think. In my opinion it's the biggest problem we've had the past few years, no one trusts anyone, especially the goalie, that's a scared game.

Reactions: NorCalhockey

MGIII

Legendary
Jun 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's easy to get wrapped up in the woulda coulda shoulda (Ottawa smh), but I'm happy to just focus on whatever wins the Sabres can produce down the stretch, whether it leads to an unlikely playoff berth or otherwise.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
Could you imagine the epic meltdown on hfb if we somehow went on winning streak and pushed Leafs out of the last playoff spot, would be so many tasty tears,
I would bottle and label them as fresh Ontario spring water with Atlantic sea salt and sell them on Ebey. Okposo MoM

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Could you imagine the epic meltdown on hfb if we somehow went on winning streak and pushed Leafs out of the last playoff spot, would be so many tasty tears,
I would bottle and label them as fresh Ontario spring water with Atlantic sea salt and sell them on Ebey. Okposo MoM

I'd rather be in the position of being a slim hope spoiler than to have the collective collars of Leaf-land tightening down the stretch.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
if can beat ottawa/ducks/nyr at least twice this year we'd be right in the thick of things.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Tough spot. Sell or ride this out?

me? I’d ride it out. Make a move for a player with a pick. Maybe move Rodrigues.

Sell. One of the reasons this team has no depth is they let players leave as UFA's (Drury, Briere, Dumont, McKee etc). Girgensons was a first round pick, Larsson came here in the first Pominville trade. We didn't get Sheary, Frolik, or Vesey for free. Asset preservation is crucial. If we can get a couple extra 2nd rounders and lower picks it will be big in the offseason when good teams are more willing to trade players off their roster. Every UFA should be on the block along with a few other players.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sell. One of the reasons this team has no depth is they let players leave as UFA's (Drury, Briere, Dumont, McKee etc). Girgensons was a first round pick, Larsson came here in the first Pominville trade. We didn't get Sheary, Frolik, or Vesey for free. Asset preservation is crucial. If we can get a couple extra 2nd rounders and lower picks it will be big in the offseason when good teams are more willing to trade players off their roster. Every UFA should be on the block along with a few other players.

Keeping Satan and Zhitnik all those years ago is another - they have to recoup resources. If they can get buyers, sell.

Reactions: Vito_81

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
if can beat ottawa/ducks/nyr at least once this year we'd be right in the thick of things.
The Ottawa game hurts even more now, full healthy team who just trounced their main rival, gets 2 quick goals and just gives up. That game cost me $50 remote control after I smashed it on the wall. If this team can fix their mentality they are a playoff team.

Last edited:
Reactions: lauraP

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Congrats JJ. Jets missed the net a tonne, but he was aggressive and got something in the way when needed. Generally solid display in front of him too.

Dont get to watch many games, these weekend afternoon games are about it with time difference. Vesey... Really hope thats his last game for us. That shift midway through the third giveaway every time he touched the puck: mishandling, hit and hope passes, just p*ss poor. RJ comment about him being the sure thing closing out the game over VO on Eichels line made me laugh.

LOG line were great. If we trade or let Larsson walk that's another hole we will dig for ourselves. That line is effective and without him there we really are a one line team.
Larsson was big on the FLG line as well. LOG is really similar to that one Foligno/Girgensons Okposo/Gionta.

Reactions: Chainshot

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

I'd normally agree with you. However, the Laffs are not going to get in, and we may be able to catch Florida for 3rd in the division. At 4 games above .500, I'd say we shouldn't mortgage the future, but if we can get a decent rental, we should take it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad