Post-Game Talk: Wings win! Series tied 1-1

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
btw shouldnt babcock get some praise for his work?

or are you guys still bitter about Tatar? :D

Yeah I asked when was the last time a Red Wings coach took the 7th seed into the playoffs and knocked off the #2 seed. The answer is it's never happened. It's pretty awesome to go into a series and know your coaching is a matchup you are likely to win. Boudreau had no idea how to deal with Babcock. :yo:

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Yeah I asked when was the last time a Red Wings coach took the 7th seed into the playoffs and knocked off the #2 seed. The answer is it's never happened. It's pretty awesome to go into a series and know your coaching is a matchup you are likely to win. Boudreau had no idea how to deal with Babcock. :yo:

I really believe that everyone on the team has bought into What Babcock preaches. It all starts with Hank/Pav and really picks up through the kids. He's got both Franzen and Filppula motivated right now, that in and of itself is worth a Jack Adams. The entire personality of this team changed when Hank took over, and it was the kind of change the team needed. Zetterberg's performance so far has been Yzerman-esque. This is the most fun I've had watching Red Wings hockey since I was a kid.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I really believe that everyone on the team has bought into What Babcock preaches. It all starts with Hank/Pav and really picks up through the kids. He's got both Franzen and Filppula motivated right now, that in and of itself is worth a Jack Adams. The entire personality of this team changed when Hank took over, and it was the kind of change the team needed. Zetterberg's performance so far has been Yzerman-esque. This is the most fun I've had watching Red Wings hockey since I was a kid.

It's extremely unlikely, but could you imagine if Z won a second Conn Smythe this year? That'd be unreal.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

We also saw it when Babcock took over for Dave Lewis. We had to transition from the Yzerman/Shanahan group of leadership and that's when Pavs and Hank started to take over. Lidstrom was the glue that held everything together but I am encouraged with how the Wings have been looking over the past 4-5 games.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Must be toews fans.

Did not know they bothered to come here. Funny :laugh::laugh:

Anyhow. Babcock made a real good point in the interveiw after the game. He said that our Dmen moved the puck better and faster cause our forwards made themselves available. That is/was the key IMHO.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
speaking of him, he's going to come out all pissed off tomorrow. Everyone saw him getting owned and crying like a baby on national tv.

Simple fact is he plays a style we know Zetterberg is very good at checking, he can get angry, but it is going to be a tough matchup. Toews has enough talent to win it a couple times in this series, but really best they can hope for is he goes back to washing it out. North/south players like him have always struggled when Zetterberg hip-pockets them, he can whine all he wants it is what he is going to see.

By the way Toews was pretty mediocre against Minnesota, people have been seeing him play pretty off for a couple weeks now and a couple times on National television, guy hasn't scored a goal in the United Center for 16 playoff games.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
speaking of him, he's going to come out all pissed off tomorrow. Everyone saw him getting owned and crying like a baby on national tv.

He didn't put up a single point in the first four games of the Wild series. He's just having a rough playoffs thus far. I hope he keeps crying, because that means he doesn't expect to elevate his game and expects the officials to to carry his water. :naughty:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
He didn't put up a single point in the first four games of the Wild series. He's just having a rough playoffs thus far. I hope he keeps crying, because that means he doesn't expect to elevate his game and expects the officials to to carry his water. :naughty:

hopefully he goes through many boxes of Kleenex after all said and done.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
ok game 3.

Hawks are going to come out bit nastier and bit more determined. I'm not sure if Hawks are going to bring something new. (maybe bit more traffic in front of Howard) Wings just have to do what they did in game 2 well. Winning battle will be once again, the key. There is no secret anymore I think. It's just down to man vs man.

I don't know what you guys think but I thought one area Wings can still improve on was puck management. It's a fine line in that you can't hold on to puck too long (unless you are Dats or Z). Still I dont know why Wings kept getting rid of the puck in hurried fashion. Maybe it's the pressure from the Hawks, or maybe it's the game plan but when Wings finally got the puck in our zone, I thought they could have taken one or two step then dump it down the ice rather than blindly giving up the possession. It looked like they were scared of Hawks player that wasn't there. I thought Filppula was particularly in a hurry to get rid of the puck in all three zone. (Not that we want him stop shooting the puck or anything) While Hawks are a great team, I dont think they are significantly better athletes or anything.

Looking forward tomorrow. If Wings fight hard and keep moving their feet all the time, who knows, maybe we can prove everyone wrong one more time. :yo:

Last edited:

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
We also saw it when Babcock took over for Dave Lewis. We had to transition from the Yzerman/Shanahan group of leadership and that's when Pavs and Hank started to take over. Lidstrom was the glue that held everything together but I am encouraged with how the Wings have been looking over the past 4-5 games.

Definitely. The complacency and lack of hunger over the last 3 years is very similar to what we saw under Lewis. Everybody has stepped up, everyone wants it. Babcock's attitude has gone from going through the motions/mental fatigue/befuddlement to we know we're a good hockey team and we can play with anyone. I absolutely LOVED it when Babs stepped up for Smith getting called out in his post game interview for poor play. Maybe it's just me, but he almost has that Bowman swagger right now. Bodreau was scared ****less of him, Quennville is second guessing himself. Awesome stuff.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think Nyquist 1st and foremost is the most enthusiastic player and I believe he inspires the team. Every shift he is out there he Works like his life Depends on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad