Post-Game Talk: Wings win! Series tied 1-1

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 31 s
Toews: "There’s a lot of clutching and grabbing, a lot of interference and if they’re going to let that go that’s something we need to know"

This isn't his first rodeo.

Does he not know by now that you play to the very edge? That you do what you can get away with? This is the freaking playoffs. Hossa is drawing calls. The guy is an absolute bull on skates but he seems to lose his feet easily sometimes, coincidentally when a Wings player has his stick near him.

That's because he's a smart vet.
He has not always been this good though, he has simply developed, DRW and himself have done a good job there.
Yeah, but last picks in the draft are quite often guys that don't even make the NHL. Even in the 2009 playoffs we saw his potential. That was yeaaaaars ago. He's gotten back up there and progressed even more. That is astounding. Maybe it was because we made him switch from forward? Takes longer to adjust when you haven't played the position your whole life. Either way, if the Wings development program could do that for even half their draftees it would be ridiculous. You raised a guy from last pick in the draft to an absolutely reliable top/middle pairing defenseman.

And he seems like he could even be getting better. That pass today was unbelievable. I've also been noticing his confidence on the PK. He seems very aware when he can dish it to the middle of the ice to an open Wings player for a better clearing chance instead of trying to force it along the boards. Being able to play with Lidstrom for 3 years surely did him a world of good.

Last edited:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
btw shouldnt babcock get some praise for his work?

or are you guys still bitter about Tatar? :D

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

I like Babcock, think he's a realgud coach and am glad he's finally made some of the adjustments that myself and others have suggested. But Tatar should be playing and Cleary should be playing for the Griffins right now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I don't know whose decision that is. I'm sure Babs could ask for him but Kenny could say no? Just like Babs can ask for huge guys in FA all day long but Kenny doesn't sign em. Or maybe Kenny wants him to be used but Babs would never replace Cleary.

And I've asked this question like 5 times now, but I would like someone to clarify playoff callup rules. Can we even call him up? Either way, he should have replaced someone during the regular season so...

Babs has also made some changes that we've been asking for. Notice today, no Brunner on the point for PP's. Thank Jesus. Praise be Jesus. Especially against a team like the Hawks, you cannot put a weak link like that back on the point. He's also pulled Lashoff and put in CC. Thanks again.

If he had stayed hard headed and not adjusted, our complaints would still be valid. See, that's what we do. When the facts change, so do our opinions. There's no hate just for the sake of hate.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Flowah;66265433[B said:
]I don't know whose decision that is. I'm sure Babs could ask for him but Kenny could say no? Just like Babs can ask for huge guys in FA all day long but Kenny doesn't sign em. Or maybe Kenny wants him to be used but Babs would never replace Cleary.
[/B]
And I've asked this question like 5 times now, but I would like someone to clarify playoff callup rules. Can we even call him up? Either way, he should have replaced someone during the regular season so...

Babs has also made some changes that we've been asking for. Notice today, no Brunner on the point for PP's. Thank Jesus. Praise be Jesus. Especially against a team like the Hawks, you cannot put a weak link like that back on the point. He's also pulled Lashoff and put in CC. Thanks again.

If he had stayed hard headed and not adjusted, our complaints would still be valid. See, that's what we do. When the facts change, so do our opinions. There's no hate just for the sake of hate.

Glad you addressed that. But they still had Brunner on the point early on.

I'd like our 2nd unit to be Nyquist/Gator, Flip, Brunner

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Gator and yes I know he is another persona-non-grata around here should be on that second power play unit. One thing Abdelkader does is he gets puck deep, retrieves them , gets to the front of the net, rinse cycle repeat. You can say a lot of offense goes to die there but I trust him gaining the zone or when forced to be the valve he doesn't turn it over high. They could use his puck retrieval skills and his ability to gain the zone, without being a horror. He is better at Cleary's role on that unit and should be there.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Just saw an actual video clip of Toews whining to the media, he actually looked fairly close to tears. I admire how much he hates to lose/ wants to win, but come on man.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just saw an actual video clip of Toews whining to the media, he actually looked fairly close to tears. I admire how much he hates to lose/ wants to win, but come on man.

Yeah saw that on CBC during the Sharks game and Panger ripped him pretty good for it. Basically told him he has to man up and play better, he isn't that kind of player. Parros then said it was clear Zetterberg got under his skin and was just better. Ouch.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Smith made a nice play on the goal but was down right horrendous in our end all game.

I think he was really bad in game 1 and he had a couple tough plays tonight but overall defensively I think he was pretty good. I think it's easy to take a few glaring mistakes and paint it over the entirety of a performance.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

It's the classic Canadian hockey star entitlement complex. Playing with stacked Canadian Olympic, World Junior, and World Championship teams and being used to winning makes some of these guys entitled to success and the benefit of calls and breaks. They are great guys when they are winning and it's easy, but when they lose their true colors show. Toews did this exact same thing when the Hawks were down 3-0 to the Canucks in 2011.

Remember Thornton going after Lidstrom and taking a shot at Holmstrom? Remember Getzlaf's latest tantrums against Detroit? Remember Crosby in 2008 throwing a fit at Zetterberg immediately following game 4 for no apparent reason? Iginla being Iginla?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's the classic Canadian hockey star entitlement complex. Playing with stacked Canadian Olympic, World Junior, and World Championship teams and being used to winning makes some of these guys entitled to success and the benefit of calls and breaks. They are great guys when they are winning and it's easy, but when they lose their true colors show. Toews did this exact same thing when the Hawks were down 3-0 to the Canucks in 2011.

Remember Thornton going after Lidstrom and taking a shot at Holmstrom? Remember Getzlaf's latest tantrums against Detroit? Remember Crosby in 2008 throwing a fit at Zetterberg immediately following game 4 for no apparent reason? Iginla being Iginla?

Kind of agree with this, but man:tmi: I'm guessing our Canadian friends will disagree.

Also Malkin is a baby and sucker guy, Esa Tikkanen, their are ***es from every country and poor losers all over the place. It is funny though the pass some of the Canadian wunderkids seem to get.

By the way looking forward to all the Captain crybaby signs at the Joe on Monday.

Aug 6, 2012
Wow watching the game right now and I can see why Toews is frustrated. The Wings totally manhandled him, he got destroyed physically. And what a goal by Fil.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I'm not saying Canadian hockey players have this complex, mind you. I am just making the observation that a lot of elite Canadian players that benefit from playing on stacked international teams (which no other country has) gives them the sense of expecting more of the same once they see success in the NHL.

I don't want anyone to think I'm a xenophobe! :laugh:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

I don't think that has anything to do with. You could pull up clips of many players whining.

BTW...I'm not disagreeing Toews whines...I like the guy but I do find he's a whiner (he was a chief whiner during the lockout, too..if you saw any of his interviews)...in fact, as much as I like him, one of the things I dislike about him is he whines in a way that no one else on the Hawks does (although he's the captain so maybe they want him to be more vocal :dunno:)...i'm just saying it's not a Canadian "entitlement" thing.

ETA:

I'm not saying Canadian hockey players have this complex, mind you. I am just making the observation that a lot of elite Canadian players that benefit from playing on stacked international teams (which no other country has) gives them the sense of expecting more of the same once they see success in the NHL.

I don't want anyone to think I'm a xenophobe! :laugh:

yeah...but you also have a ton of players (incl v/ prominent players) in the NHL from Canada...so is it Cdn players whine the loudest/most...or is it that the players who whine and are Canadian get the most attention??

anyway...I don't mean to do a "fly by" on your board and start being critical or anything...so don't take offense, please!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
As a Canadian, I totally feel you Doc. I grew up with kids like the guys you listed. Had plenty of friends at the AAA level growing up that couldn't take a loss in gym class to save their lives.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I like Babcock, think he's a realgud coach and am glad he's finally made some of the adjustments that myself and others have suggested. But Tatar should be playing and Cleary should be playing for the Griffins right now.

What did thegriffins do to you

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think that has anything to do with. You could pull up clips of many players whining.

BTW...I'm not disagreeing Toews whines...I like the guy but I do find he's a whiner (he was a chief whiner during the lockout, too..if you saw any of his interviews)...in fact, as much as I like him, one of the things I dislike about him is he whines in a way that no one else on the Hawks does (although he's the captain so maybe they want him to be more vocal :dunno:)...i'm just saying it's not a Canadian "entitlement" thing.

ETA:

yeah...but you also have a ton of players (incl v/ prominent players) in the NHL from Canada...so is it Cdn players whine the loudest/most...or is it that the players who whine and are Canadian get the most attention??

anyway...I don't mean to do a "fly by" on your board and start being critical or anything...so don't take offense, please!

Hey, get out of here! :sarcasm:

I do agree Canadians aren't the only ones to whine when things don't go their way, but overall it appears that the elite Canadian players like Thornton and Toews seem to completely lose their composure at times when they face adversity. You see the same thing from Ovechkin, who isn't Canadian but was coddled to be the next big thing ever since being drafted.

I call it a "Canadian" complex because Canadian stars are most likely to see success in their younger years playing for international teams and getting huge attention for their skill.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I had to check to see how much Hossa played, but he did play 18 mins, I really thought he got hurt since I didn't notice him for the majority of the game.

I think Brunner has been really good this playoffs in his role, I know I was really excited early in the season with him in the top 6, but him learning the NA and Wings gameplan has really showed on that really effective 3rd line.
Hossa is a bad diver.
Brunner has had impressive playoffs so far.
He calls that "playoff mode" ;)
Good one :laugh::laugh:
1. Z: I called him out in the Anaheim series but he has been large in 3 out of the last 4 games. He was dominant today.

2. Howie: where the haterz at? :D

3. Smith: Ditto. Game winning goal! :yo:
Here you go. I was poking fun at Howard.
1. Howard
2. Howard
3. Howard

Howie stole this one for us. We had no business in this game.

Seriously
1. Zzzzzzzzzz
2. Brunner
3. Smith/Franzen

What did Howard do in this game? Nothing. The team played a Perfect playoff road game. He was there making routine saves.
When he steals a game, let me know.

Cleary has 6 Points in 9 playoff games.
This is real strange though. Most of the players seem to have 2-3 bad decisions a game. Cleary has 2-3 bad decisions a shift, as it seems, yet he gets it done. His skating also looks brutal, but his stats look 10 times better than what we see on the ice. Go figure.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Cleary is the beneficiary of other players capitalizing on chances. Other players make those same plays just as often as he does, without all the accompanying stupid decisions, but they don't result in a goal.

That's why you always watch the game. Just looking at a stats sheet never tells you the whole story.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Cleary is the beneficiary of other players capitalizing on chances. Other players make those same plays just as often as he does, without all the accompanying stupid decisions, but they don't result in a goal.

That's why you always watch the game. Just looking at a stats sheet never tells you the whole story.

The whole story is told by a hockey genius Mike Babcock and Babcock plays him on the 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad