Pre-Game Talk: Wings vs. Leafs 11-27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't particularly want Zadina with Athanasiou, but it's hard to wrap my head around the third line as it is designed. Even if I were hellbent on keeping Athanasiou separate to attempt to roll three lines, I would equip Athanasiou with offensive players. Give Athanasiou something other than two PKers. I would put Perlini on that line. I would even consider letting Athanasiou shift back to center on the third line and give him Perlini and Hirose. Something other than as it sits right now.

We are dead last in the NHL in goals/game, we don't have anywhere enough depth to roll three lines. We have trouble rolling 2 lines that can produce consistently.

SP Des

Nov 27, 2019
Did you honestly suggest that Perlini scored his goals by "playing with more talented players" despite scoring 31 goals in his first two years in Arizona between 2016 and 2018? Statistically speaking, those Arizona teams were worse than the Red Wings, and Perlini was playing third line minutes. Do you remember what the third line looked like for Detroit in those seasons? Perlini wasn't playing with anything close to Datsyuk or Zetterberg to inflate his production, and to suggest that he was paints an extremely unfair picture.

If you are SY and the Red Wings, you probably aren't so let down by the deal. You made the move as a educated gamble and hoping he caught hold and had some success, but if not, oh well. On the other hand, if you are Perlini, you're probably pretty pissed. You request a trade, essentially to save your career, and come in to a team with a clear lack of depth at the top; a team who needs offense, and since joining, you've never been given an opportunity to be on a line with some of the talent at the top. They bring in another player in a deal similar to the one where they acquired you, and that player on his first night and starts recording more ice time than you. He's given an immediate spot on the top powerplay unit, in the top 6, playing with actual NHL talent. You are now in a constant state of flux between third and fourth line minutes, playing with players like Nielsen, Hirose, Ehn, and you see the big power forward playing the top line and having major success this year go down to an injury, and with a clear need of offensive fire power in the next game, you find yourself....skating 10 minutes on the fourth line.

He very well may never end up being a player for the Wings, but at the very least they could do the minimum due diligence to see if there's any spark when surrounded by actual talent.

SP Des

Nov 27, 2019
Did you honestly suggest that Perlini scored his goals by "playing with more talented players" despite scoring 31 goals in his first two years in Arizona between 2016 and 2018? Statistically speaking, those Arizona teams were worse than the Red Wings, and Perlini was playing third line minutes. Do you remember what the third line looked like for Detroit in those seasons? Perlini wasn't playing with anything close to Datsyuk or Zetterberg to inflate his production, and to suggest that he was paints an extremely unfair picture.

If you are SY and the Red Wings, you probably aren't so let down by the deal. You made the move as a educated gamble and hoping he caught hold and had some success, but if not, oh well. On the other hand, if you are Perlini, you're probably pretty pissed. You request a trade, essentially to save your career, and come in to a team with a clear lack of depth at the top; a team who needs offense, and since joining, you've never been given an opportunity to be on a line with some of the talent at the top. They bring in another player in a deal similar to the one where they acquired you, and that player on his first night and starts recording more ice time than you. He's given an immediate spot on the top powerplay unit, in the top 6, playing with actual NHL talent. You are now in a constant state of flux between third and fourth line minutes, playing with players like Nielsen, Hirose, Ehn, and you see the big power forward playing the top line and having major success this year go down to an injury, and with a clear need of offensive fire power in the next game, you find yourself....skating 10 minutes on the fourth line.

He very well may never end up being a player for the Wings, but at the very least they could do the minimum due diligence to see if there's any spark when surrounded by actual talent.[/QUOT

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
We are dead last in the NHL in goals/game, we don't have anywhere enough depth to roll three lines. We have trouble rolling 2 lines that can produce consistently.

Sure, I understand that. Hence me saying "if I were hellbent on rolling three lines" preceding my point. I would have a completely different approach to how I would build my lines if I were in charge, but I was trying to put together a small change with the overall vision that appears to be applied right now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
After this season, should trends through a quarter of it stay constant, will never be remembered as a 30 goal scorer. And the way he's playing in the last couple, he earned a demotion.

I'm not going to bother arguing about AA.

The point is - what the f*** could Perlini ever be pissed about.

He's getting a regular shift in the NHL
He's got 0 goals and 1 assist in 14 games.

He's the last guy on this team that should be pissed about Fabbri playing top line and top PP.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm not going to bother arguing about AA.

The point is - what the **** could Perlini ever be pissed about.

He's getting a regular shift in the NHL
He's got 0 goals and 1 assist in 14 games.

He's the last guy on this team that should be pissed about Fabbri playing top line and top PP.
AA had almost as bad a start to the season. And Perlini is playing with the offensive blackhole named Nielsen.

Reactions: hkydave04
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Sure, I understand that. Hence me saying "if I were hellbent on rolling three lines" preceding my point. I would have a completely different approach to how I would build my lines if I were in charge, but I was trying to put together a small change with the overall vision that appears to be applied right now.

Yeah, fair enough. I think the whole point here is that regardless what Blash does with the lines, there is an evident lack of talent. If we try to stack 2 lines, the other 2 lines are junk. If we try to spread it out, some good players will be playing with some worse players, which is the case of AA playing with Glen and Nielsen.

I just hope Zadina can get a goal tonight and maybe build a bit of confidence. With Mantha out, this is his chance. I like how Blash has him on PP#1, we really need to get some PP opportunities tonight to see if he can bury one.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I mean he was a healthy scratch in Chicago. He is getting playing time in Detroit.
We wouldn't be getting ANY playing time in Washington or St.Louis or Toronto
Quite frankly Perlini might have only a few other locations more preferable (Edmonton... he would be bottom 6). He isn't a top 6 player right now and shouldn't expect that.

AA always looks good offensively. But he is farking -23 now. IF you made him the #1 C on the team, and made Larkin the #2 C, he could be minus 35 in a week. Or maybe even worse.

Everyone is always mentioning AA's line mates implying that who AA gets time with matters. No no, AA is one of our most talented players offensively, BUT if his defensive mistakes makes Detroit lose every game, he will start falling down the lineup onto the 3rd line. AA has had his chance on line 2 all season. And he is making the team lose. The coach puts Glendening with him to "FIX" his defensive failures. If he wants to be above the 3rd line, he has to be better defensively!!!

This is unacceptable and of course an unpopular opinion because no one here cares about defence either, only the coach... and thus he's an idiot too right?

Its not a conspiracy theory. Detroit would love AA to be producing right now.

So you don't think pro sports team's make sure players miss bonuses? Or if they are up for ufa they won't play them were they won't produce as much to equate to less earning on their next contracts?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, fair enough. I think the whole point here is that regardless what Blash does with the lines, there is an evident lack of talent. If we try to stack 2 lines, the other 2 lines are junk. If we try to spread it out, some good players will be playing with some worse players, which is the case of AA playing with Glen and Nielsen.

I just hope Zadina can get a goal tonight and maybe build a bit of confidence. With Mantha out, this is his chance. I like how Blash has him on PP#1, we really need to get some PP opportunities tonight to see if he can bury one.

As much as I hate ticky tack penalties, the Carolina game seemed drastically under-officiated. I hope Larkin, Helm, and Athanasiou are buzzing out there tonight to draw some lazy trips and hooks.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So you don't think pro sports team's make sure players miss bonuses? Or if they are up for ufa they won't play them were they won't produce as much to equate to less earning on their next contracts?

Coaches who f*** with players in contract years get a rep for it.
Read books by players and coaches. It's a central theme.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
AA had almost as bad a start to the season. And Perlini is playing with the offensive blackhole named Nielsen.

AA was bad. He was also hurt.
And he never went 0-1-1 in 14 games.
And he is coming off a 30 goal season.
Can't compare the two.

Beside, that's not the point.

The point is Perlini has done NOTHING.
He came here from a team that wouldn't play him. He's a step up. He's playing every night.
It's up to him to take an extra step up.
He's not doing a damn thing to show he belongs, to be honest.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Can't compare the two.

He came here from a team that wouldn't play him. He's a step up. He's playing every night.

You move the goal posts so damn much.

Athanasiou plays with Glendening and Nielsen: "Blashill is the worst coach ever. How dare he put a 'real 30 goal scorer' with such horrible linemates."
Perlini plays exclusively with Nielsen, Hirose, Ehn, etc.: "Perlini needs to take an extra step. He's not doing a damn thing to show he belongs."

Reactions: SP Des

SP Des

Nov 27, 2019
Can't compare the two.

SP Des

Nov 27, 2019
You know nothing ignorance is bliss

Perlini as now started on third or fourth lines at Chicago
The got moved up on line with Ströme and Debrincat and scored plenty labelled hot streak
But actually was first time playing with skilled players
Only reason he was crapped on by Chicago was difficult salary negotiations and they needed to play latest acquisition and high profile prospect.
Looks like Detroit are doing the same. Not once started on top two lines. His confidence must be shot. He is a top line player and should not have been traded to play on those lines so no wonder he is snatching at chances. Suggest those doubters look at some of his goals for Arizona and Chicago on YouTube if you don’t think he is a goal scorer!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Reading through all the complaining about where AA is being played. I couldn't care less where he plays and I don't see him as a core player nor do I see him as a long term guy with this club.

As far as I'm concerned he could be traded tomorrow and I'd be joyous. He's a stop gap. Nothing more.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You know nothing ignorance is bliss

Perlini as now started on third or fourth lines at Chicago
The got moved up on line with Ströme and Debrincat and scored plenty labelled hot streak
But actually was first time playing with skilled players
Only reason he was crapped on by Chicago was difficult salary negotiations and they needed to play latest acquisition and high profile prospect.
Looks like Detroit are doing the same. Not once started on top two lines. His confidence must be shot. He is a top line player and should not have been traded to play on those lines so no wonder he is snatching at chances. Suggest those doubters look at some of his goals for Arizona and Chicago on YouTube if you don’t think he is a goal scorer!

Around here, if a young project doesn't perform to unparalleled expectations in his first half dozen games, he is a complete and utter failure.

People here already wrote off Perlini. Impatience and self gratification is our new culture. Sadly, this is the society we live in now.

SP Des

Nov 27, 2019
Around here, if a young project doesn't perform to unparalleled expectations in his first half dozen games, he is a complete and utter failure.

People here already wrote off Perlini. Impatience and self gratification is our new culture. Sadly, this is the society we live in now.
Agree totally

SP Des

Nov 27, 2019
Just to add at the start of season Chicago supporters were pleading for him to be reinstated with Ströme and Debrincat but something else was going on there. Maybe a personality thing with the coach who knows

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You move the goal posts so damn much.

Athanasiou plays with Glendening and Nielsen: "Blashill is the worst coach ever. How dare he put a 'real 30 goal scorer' with such horrible linemates."
Perlini plays exclusively with Nielsen, Hirose, Ehn, etc.: "Perlini needs to take an extra step. He's not doing a damn thing to show he belongs."

What goal posts?
Athanasiou vs Perlini?
I don't need to move goal posts, man.
As bad as AA has sucked this year, he's worlds better than Perlini.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Reading through all the complaining about where AA is being played. I couldn't care less where he plays and I don't see him as a core player nor do I see him as a long term guy with this club.

As far as I'm concerned he could be traded tomorrow and I'd be joyous. He's a stop gap. Nothing more.

yeah writing off Perlini is sad but that guy that actually scored 30 goals sucks

Reactions: decaguard

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What goal posts?
Athanasiou vs Perlini?

What goal posts? You think it's unacceptable to have Athanasiou to have those linemates and he can't be expected to perform with them, but perfectly fine for anyone else, and they should be able to perform.

Once again, another narrative painfully obvious.

SP Des

Nov 27, 2019
What goal posts?
Athanasiou vs Perlini?
If Perlini ever gets decent team mates and gets on a run your going to eat humble pie my friend

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What goal posts? You think it's unacceptable to have Athanasiou to have those linemates and he can't be expected to perform with them, but perfectly fine for anyone else, and they should be able to perform.

Once again, another narrative painfully obvious.

Dude...
What the f***?
You think Brendan Perlini is as established as Athanasiou?
AA has been playing with largely the same crew as Perlini.
And as much as he has disappointed
5-9-14 is better than 0-1-1
AA came into this season on a 30-24-54 season.
Perlini came in on 14-7-21.

I'm not saying Perlini will never be a player (though I can't see much suggesting he will be), but he's in no way comparable to AA.

SP Des

Nov 27, 2019
Dude...
What the ****?
You think Brendan Perlini is as established as Athanasiou?
AA has been playing with largely the same crew as Perlini.
And as much as he has disappointed
5-9-14 is better than 0-1-1
AA came into this season on a 30-24-54 season.
Perlini came in on 14-7-21.

I'm not saying Perlini will never be a player (though I can't see much suggesting he will be), but he's in no way comparable to AA.
Total rubbish AA has been playing on two lines Perlini on rubbish bottom lines. You expect him to do it all himself. It’s all about confidence you obviously never played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad