Pre-Game Talk: Wings vs. Leafs 11-27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He got his goals the same way Abby did, playing with more talented players. He hasn't shown enough to be in the top 6 which means he's stuck with either Nielsen or LGD as center. That means he won't score much. I don't see him on the team when Raz, Zadina, Veleno, and Smith are NHL ready, so he's got until the end of next season max he might not even make the roster next season.

So to sum it up, I don't see him scoring 22 goals in the next 2 seasons before he's gone, assuming he even gets a contract extension.

Did you honestly suggest that Perlini scored his goals by "playing with more talented players" despite scoring 31 goals in his first two years in Arizona between 2016 and 2018? Statistically speaking, those Arizona teams were worse than the Red Wings, and Perlini was playing third line minutes. Do you remember what the third line looked like for Detroit in those seasons? Perlini wasn't playing with anything close to Datsyuk or Zetterberg to inflate his production, and to suggest that he was paints an extremely unfair picture.

If you are SY and the Red Wings, you probably aren't so let down by the deal. You made the move as a educated gamble and hoping he caught hold and had some success, but if not, oh well. On the other hand, if you are Perlini, you're probably pretty pissed. You request a trade, essentially to save your career, and come in to a team with a clear lack of depth at the top; a team who needs offense, and since joining, you've never been given an opportunity to be on a line with some of the talent at the top. They bring in another player in a deal similar to the one where they acquired you, and that player on his first night and starts recording more ice time than you. He's given an immediate spot on the top powerplay unit, in the top 6, playing with actual NHL talent. You are now in a constant state of flux between third and fourth line minutes, playing with players like Nielsen, Hirose, Ehn, and you see the big power forward playing the top line and having major success this year go down to an injury, and with a clear need of offensive fire power in the next game, you find yourself....skating 10 minutes on the fourth line.

He very well may never end up being a player for the Wings, but at the very least they could do the minimum due diligence to see if there's any spark when surrounded by actual talent.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Something is wrong- did you try blowing into the cartridge?

Twice. I even swabbed the connector inside the system.

Go out to the bar or watch this game. Decisions decisions.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Konnan511

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Nonsense to have AA playing with Glen and Nielsen. It's almost like Blashill doesn't want AA to have success.

AA should be with Zadina.

Which will do the wings well this off season in rfa negotiations. Because than they can say his 30 goal season was a fluke and drive his money down.

You don't actually want him to have another 30 goal year this season. Because than your looking at 5-6m per year minimum on his take it to ufa deal if not maybe more.

It's really not hard to see from a organizational point of view. Because if Mantha stays true to form he will get around 6 as well.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Which will do the wings well this off season in rfa negotiations. Because than they can say his 30 goal season was a fluke and drive his money down.

You don't actually want him to have another 30 goal year this season. Because than your looking at 5-6m per year minimum on his take it to ufa deal if not maybe more.

It's really not hard to see from a organizational point of view. Because if Mantha stays true to form he will get around 6 as well.
The thought of AA making 6m+:pout:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The thought of AA making 6m+:pout:

Not many consistent 30+ goal scorers in the league. If he were to post back to back year's with that you are looking at around 6.5 per. Unless the deal just takes him to ufa then it would be around 5-5.5 per.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Nonsense to have AA playing with Glen and Nielsen. It's almost like Blashill doesn't want AA to have success.

I don't particularly want Zadina with Athanasiou, but it's hard to wrap my head around the third line as it is designed. Even if I were hellbent on keeping Athanasiou separate to attempt to roll three lines, I would equip Athanasiou with offensive players. Give Athanasiou something other than two PKers. I would put Perlini on that line. I would even consider letting Athanasiou shift back to center on the third line and give him Perlini and Hirose. Something other than as it sits right now.

Reactions: RedMenace

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

This might be an argument if you think Yzerman is telling Blashill how to set his lines. I however completely disagree. I think its Blashill trying to "spread the wealth"

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Did you honestly suggest that Perlini scored his goals by "playing with more talented players" despite scoring 31 goals in his first two years in Arizona between 2016 and 2018? Statistically speaking, those Arizona teams were worse than the Red Wings, and Perlini was playing third line minutes. Do you remember what the third line looked like for Detroit in those seasons? Perlini wasn't playing with anything close to Datsyuk or Zetterberg to inflate his production, and to suggest that he was paints an extremely unfair picture.

If you are SY and the Red Wings, you probably aren't so let down by the deal. You made the move as a educated gamble and hoping he caught hold and had some success, but if not, oh well. On the other hand, if you are Perlini, you're probably pretty pissed. You request a trade, essentially to save your career, and come in to a team with a clear lack of depth at the top; a team who needs offense, and since joining, you've never been given an opportunity to be on a line with some of the talent at the top. They bring in another player in a deal similar to the one where they acquired you, and that player on his first night and starts recording more ice time than you. He's given an immediate spot on the top powerplay unit, in the top 6, playing with actual NHL talent. You are now in a constant state of flux between third and fourth line minutes, playing with players like Nielsen, Hirose, Ehn, and you see the big power forward playing the top line and having major success this year go down to an injury, and with a clear need of offensive fire power in the next game, you find yourself....skating 10 minutes on the fourth line.

He very well may never end up being a player for the Wings, but at the very least they could do the minimum due diligence to see if there's any spark when surrounded by actual talent.

Perlini is pissed?
He went from playing not at all to playing every night.

Athanasiou - the actual 30 goal man - is the guy who has been pushed down to line 3 while Fabbri plays on line 1 and the top unit.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
....On the other hand, if you are Perlini, you're probably pretty pissed. You request a trade, essentially to save your career, and come in to a team with a clear lack of depth at the top; a team who needs offense, and since joining, you've never been given an opportunity to be on a line with some of the talent at the top. They bring in another player in a deal similar to the one where they acquired you, and that player on his first night and starts recording more ice time than you. He's given an immediate spot on the top powerplay unit, in the top 6, playing with actual NHL talent. .....

I mean he was a healthy scratch in Chicago. He is getting playing time in Detroit.
We wouldn't be getting ANY playing time in Washington or St.Louis or Toronto
Quite frankly Perlini might have only a few other locations more preferable (Edmonton... he would be bottom 6). He isn't a top 6 player right now and shouldn't expect that.

AA always looks good offensively. But he is farking -23 now. IF you made him the #1 C on the team, and made Larkin the #2 C, he could be minus 35 in a week. Or maybe even worse.

Everyone is always mentioning AA's line mates implying that who AA gets time with matters. No no, AA is one of our most talented players offensively, BUT if his defensive mistakes makes Detroit lose every game, he will start falling down the lineup onto the 3rd line. AA has had his chance on line 2 all season. And he is making the team lose. The coach puts Glendening with him to "FIX" his defensive failures. If he wants to be above the 3rd line, he has to be better defensively!!!

This is unacceptable and of course an unpopular opinion because no one here cares about defence either, only the coach... and thus he's an idiot too right?

Its not a conspiracy theory. Detroit would love AA to be producing right now.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Perlini is pissed?

Athanasiou - the actual 30 goal man - is the guy who has been pushed down to line 3 while Fabbri plays on line 1 and the top unit.

After this season, should trends through a quarter of it stay constant, will never be remembered as a 30 goal scorer. And the way he's playing in the last couple, he earned a demotion.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Perlini is pissed?

What the are you talking about? My post was never about Athanasiou. If you are going to completely ignore the topic of the post on some tangential case of martyrdom, let's just not do this. Your ability to twist anything into a bitch fest about how mistreated Athanasiou is so f***ing annoying.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I mean he was a healthy scratch in Chicago. He is getting playing time in Detroit.
We wouldn't be getting ANY playing time in Washington or St.Louis or Toronto
Quite frankly Perlini might have only a few other locations more preferable (Edmonton... he would be bottom 6). He isn't a top 6 player right now and shouldn't expect that.

I get that. The point I am making remains the same. If you are speaking from Perlini's perspective, I am sure he appreciates playing more than sitting in a press box, but I'm also confident that the opportunity he was seeking meant playing consistent minutes to establish himself, not playing 10 minutes for the worst team in the league. And especially not when that same team is in dire need of offensive support.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What the are you talking about? My post was never about Athanasiou. If you are going to completely ignore the topic of the post on some tangential case of martyrdom, let's just not do this. Your ability to twist anything into a ***** fest about how mistreated Athanasiou is so ****ing annoying.

Oh, so sorry.
It could be Athanasiou.
It could be Pulkkinen.
Or Jurco.

if anyone had made the EXACT SAME point you made about Perlini/Fabbri for Athanasiou or Jurco or Pulkkinen, you'd shit all over them.

But go ahead and respond with more hostility and civility.

Happy Thanksgiving Eve, bro

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I don't particularly want Zadina with Athanasiou, but it's hard to wrap my head around the third line as it is designed. Even if I were hellbent on keeping Athanasiou separate to attempt to roll three lines, I would equip Athanasiou with offensive players. Give Athanasiou something other than two PKers. I would put Perlini on that line. I would even consider letting Athanasiou shift back to center on the third line and give him Perlini and Hirose. Something other than as it sits right now.
We just don't have enough good players to roll 4 lines. The 3rd especially. It's been nonexistent all season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I get that. The point I am making remains the same. If you are speaking from Perlini's perspective, I am sure he appreciates playing more than sitting in a press box, but I'm also confident that the opportunity he was seeking meant playing consistent minutes to establish himself, not playing 10 minutes for the worst team in the league. And especially not when that same team is in dire need of offensive support.

And playing for a coach without a gameplan.
Don't forget that.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
hfboards: "+/- is meaningless!"
hfboards, 2 minutes later: "lol look at this guy and his -30!"

I'll worry about AA's +/- when he starts playing with a goalie with a top-30 save% and more than one NHL-level defenseman.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Oh, so sorry.
It could be Athanasiou.
It could be Pulkkinen.
Or Jurco.

if anyone had made the EXACT SAME point you made about Perlini/Fabbri for Athanasiou or Jurco or Pulkkinen, you'd **** all over them.

But go ahead and respond with more hostility and civility.

Happy Thanksgiving Eve, bro

I forgot when Athanasiou, Pulkkinen, or Jurco requested a trade to find opportunity and ended up on a bottom dweller team in desperate need of talent. That was the entire concept of the post. Looking at it through Perlini's eyes.

Do you want to have the discussion on Athanasiou though? He's played 17 games with more TOI than Perlini's highest. He's played anywhere from center to the wing. First, second, third line. First and second powerplay units. He's been given opportunity to stake his claim on this piss poor team, despite showing little improvement defensively, and scoring at a staggeringly lower rate than he has in the past. That's the contrast I am driving at.

If I were looking for opportunity to prove myself as an offensive player, I would have been ecstatic to be traded to Detroit, but when realizing that you were going to be used as a fourth liner...I'd quietly be pretty pissed.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

I was thinking about putting those guys together last game, and it has the potential for major offense. The only thing I worry about with something like a HAP line is defensive responsibility... unless we're just throwing that out the window, at which I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Maybe try that line at home where the match-ups could be set to play against lesser-quality competition.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I was thinking about putting those guys together last game, and it has the potential for major offense. The only thing I worry about with something like a HAP line is defensive responsibility... unless we're just throwing that out the window, at which I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Maybe try that line at home where the match-ups could be set to play against lesser-quality competition.

We can't defend in general, so I don't see a reason to not put something together that might have a chance to keep up. If that makes sense, which it really doesn't, but nothing else seems to work.

Reactions: RedMenace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille