GDT: Wings vs ducks 1/15/19 7:30 pm est

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Nyquist will want way too much money that can be spent, or at least attempted to be spent, on players better than him.

DeKeyser looked good, maybe he relearned how to hockey while he was injured.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Good. We should be re-sign Nyquist.

And if there isn’t a buyer for Howard, what’s Holland supposed to do? We have no goalies on our horizon anyways. Just literally more mindless complaining from you. Jesus.

And the Ducks are trash.

Edit: corrected a typo since it’s the only response Holland haters have when discussing Nyquist and Howard trade talks.
We aren't making the playoffs inexcusable to not trade both of them at the deadline regardless if they will be back next year or not

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
We aren't making the playoffs inexcusable to not trade both of them at the deadline regardless if they will be back next year or not

So if we aren’t going to make the playoffs, which you’re correct, that justifies us trading Howard just because for a crap return?

But of course you’d like to see the team be an absolute embarrassment and lose 5-0 every night by starting Bernier

And Nyquist is still young enough where he can still contribute in a couple years when the team is playoff bound, but I’m not going to waste any more energy trying to explain that if we don’t get a first for Gus it’s not worth it

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
We'll see how Bert's career shakes out, it's a small sample size. But yeah, I like him taking over that role. He does all the things you want Abby on those units for, but he's looking much more effective.

I guess I see Bert in a different class. I used to think he’d be more like Abby stylistically in the pros but after almost 4 years of the same, I see a 2nd line scoring winger as his foundation. Still gritty. Still a two-way guy defensively. But just as much a natural in the offensive zone as any other.

Abby on the other hand is in that physical checking role. More specialized defensively to compensate for their lack of skill. Can’t transition easily from defense to offense. Can’t really be considered two-way because of it and is just billed as defensive.

I think Bertuzzi is on his way to being our Gallagher.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
And Nyquist is still young enough where he can still contribute in a couple years when the team is playoff bound, but I’m not going to waste any more energy trying to explain that if we don’t get a first for Gus it’s not worth it

Be that as it may, I don't want to pay 6+ million to a guy who'll be playing on the 3rd line.

Because I want the top 6 to be composed of some combination of Larkin/AA/Mantha/Zadina/Bertuzzi/Rasmussen/2019 1st. That's already 7 players.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Be that as it may, I don't want to pay 6+ million to a guy who'll be playing on the 3rd line.

Because I want the top 6 to be composed of some combination of Larkin/AA/Mantha/Zadina/Bertuzzi/Rasmussen/2019 1st. That's already 7 players.

He’d definitely be used as a top line foward for maybe a couple years while guys like Zadina, Veleno, whoever out new draftee will be adjust to the NHL. However, he has shown great chemistry with Larkin too.

But I do see him as valuable third liner. For six million? Maybe, maybe not. And I could see our team being deep in two to three years, so it could help. We know what we could get from him. I don’t want Holland/Yzerman, whoever is in charge then to sign an overrated vet for “leadership”. Teams don’t just roll out all rookies. That’s not successful. Again, he’d still be at a decent age and contribute while being a good leader (or so he seems to be)

Holland has signed worse players to that type of contract.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think Nyquist can be a solid contributor and a decent role model for years to come.. he's home grown, a known commodity . But ... We need to clear cap space, and continue to develop our new identity. Slowy moving out the old guard and the players who kind of have just been stuck in limbo with us for years is needed. The Larkin and Berts and Cholowskis are the new guard and need to be the leaders going forward IMO... We still have other contracts to anchor us down with Vet leadership. Don't need another.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So if we aren’t going to make the playoffs, which you’re correct, that justifies us trading Howard just because for a crap return?

But of course you’d like to see the team be an absolute embarrassment and lose 5-0 every night by starting Bernier

First of all I never said "for a crap return" and even so any pick is better than nothing. They can both come back in the summer, I'm sure Holland will outbid himself as usual. Collecting some prospects/picks to let a team "borrow" them is a win/win

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think Nyquist can be a solid contributor and a decent role model for years to come.. he's home grown, a known commodity . But ... We need to clear cap space, and continue to develop our new identity. Slowy moving out the old guard and the players who kind of have just been stuck in limbo with us for years is needed. The Larkin and Berts and Cholowskis are the new guard and need to be the leaders going forward IMO... We still have other contracts to anchor us down with Vet leadership. Don't need another.

Don’t we have more than 20 million in cap space actually freeing up this summer? The only bad cap hit we’ll have afterwards is Abby’s stupid ass.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Don’t we have more than 20 million in cap space actually freeing up this summer? The only bad cap hit we’ll have afterwards is Abby’s stupid ass.

Ericsson still has another year. DeKeyser has 3 more. Franzen and Zetterberg LTIR is 1 and 2 years respectively (which will help with summer transactions).

So yeah, things are cleaning in the next couple years - finally. Nielsen is 3 more years, I guess we could quibble about that one.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I want them to trade nyquist and then resign him.

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Ericsson still has another year. DeKeyser has 3 more. Franzen and Zetterberg LTIR is 1 and 2 years respectively (which will help with summer transactions).

So yeah, things are cleaning in the next couple years - finally. Nielsen is 3 more years, I guess we could quibble about that one.

Neilsen is meh I agree. I do think he’s a good player, but I don’t believe he’ll be a hindrance

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

Neilsen, Dekeyser, Abdelkader and Erricson in my opinion are all vets that are over payed or over played for their ability. They basically only provide depth and veteran experience.. thats just my opinion.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Gustav Nyquist is having a great season. But even assuming he plays well over the next 3-5 years, he's a pending free agent with all the leverage, and likely seeking one last big contract.

Not the type of player you want to target on a team still squarely within the rebuilding phase.

Assuming you can get a 2nd or better for him, you absolutely deal him by the deadline. And while I would be open to talking with him this summer, he would have to take a discount relative to what he could probably land on the open market for it to be shrewd to bring him back.

In general, the less Detroit uses free agency as a means to acquire (or retain) forwards, the better.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
We've had this discussion a million times... but why exactly are people so obsessed with saving $6 million dollars by letting Nyquist go?

So we can sign a UFA or 2, and immediately start complaining that they are old and overpaid, as everyone has done with 100% of UFA signings?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad