GDT: Wings vs ducks 1/15/19 7:30 pm est

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
We've had this discussion a million times... but why exactly are people so obsessed with saving $6 million dollars by letting Nyquist go?

So we can sign a UFA or 2, and immediately start complaining that they are old and overpaid, as everyone has done with 100% of UFA signings?
If thats what it would cost to sign Gus, I would pass. As to what we would need that money for, it would be in house. Upcoming raises to Mantha and AA after next near, Cholowski and Hronek the year after that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We've had this discussion a million times... but why exactly are people so obsessed with saving $6 million dollars by letting Nyquist go?

So we can sign a UFA or 2, and immediately start complaining that they are old and overpaid, as everyone has done with 100% of UFA signings?

You know that same argument could be applied to nyquist. He's a UFA, he's already 28, and he's going to get a raise over what he's getting now. Also, what are the chances this year isn't a fluke? He's on pace for ~65 points right now. His previous high was 54 and that was five years ago. He's been a 40-ish point guy every other year.

I want to let Nyquist go to chase Karlsson or Panarin, better players.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Take a look at Toronto. They're just now entering the serious Cup contender phase, and this summer will be a major exercise to try and keep everybody. Unless it's an absolute no-brainer of a player to keep, you want as much cost control as possible as you build your roster.

Now obviously that doesn't mean you go to the extreme of having 100 percent ELC's and scrub veterans making the league minimum on 1-year deals. But from Nyquist's perspective, he should be shooting for one last golden parachute of a contract, and from Detroit's perspective, they're not in the best position to extend that luxury to a winger.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Take a look at Toronto. They're just now entering the serious Cup contender phase, and this summer will be a major exercise to try and keep everybody. Unless it's an absolute no-brainer of a player to keep, you want as much cost control as possible as you build your roster.

Now obviously that doesn't mean you go to the extreme of having 100 percent ELC's and scrub veterans making the league minimum on 1-year deals. But from Nyquist's perspective, he should be shooting for one last golden parachute of a contract, and from Detroit's perspective, they're not in the best position to extend that luxury to a winger.
Which is why Holland will extend him :sarcasm:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Which is why Holland will extend him :sarcasm:
Honestly I'd be surprised if Holland didn't extend him.

Drafted by the Wings, consistent 40+ point guy. Holland is very much a bird in hand type of guy. I could see Gus getting 5 years. I don't know the price but am guessing it will be too high and there will be a NTC thrown in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad