GDT: Wings vs bruins 7:30 pm et 3/31/19 nbcsn

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Are we making the playoffs next year??

These guys are playing some inspired hockey. Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert...all entering their prime. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but why can't we challenge for a playoff spot next year?

Realistically speaking, I think 20-21 is more likely, but you have to love what the core players are doing right now. I know it's unlikely for confidence to carry over from season to season, but this has to be good for the morale of the 25 and under group we have, proving to themselves that they can compete at the NHL level.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

These guys are playing some inspired hockey. Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert...all entering their prime. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but why can't we challenge for a playoff spot next year?

Realistically speaking, I think 20-21 is more realistic, but you have to love what the core players are doing right now. I know it's unlikely for confidence to carry over from season to season, but this has to be good for the moral of the 25 and under group we have, proving to themselves that they can compete at the NHL level.

Look at the defense, and look at that 2 of those players are streaky. And Howard is on a downward spiral. I would bet that Detroit is much more likely to be in the bottom 5 than in the wild card.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Realistically speaking, I think 20-21 is more likely, but you have to love what the core players are doing right now. I know it's unlikely for confidence to carry over from season to season, but this has to be good for the morale of the 25 and under group we have, proving to themselves that they can compete at the NHL level.
They'd better, if they're going to play like this late in the year. Playing like this when the pressure is off, hurting our draft position, and then playing poorly when the season matters again should not be acceptable.

Continuing this is acceptable, though. That's what I'm saying. Feasting on easy matchups and lazy opponents is not.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Look at the defense, and look at that 2 of those players are streaky. And Howard is on a downward spiral. I would bet that Detroit is much more likely to be in the bottom 5 than in the wild card.

You're probably right, I just think that Bert-Larkin-Mantha (with consistency) could be a legit 1st line in the NHL. Then we do have tons of depth up front. Defensively we are still a mess, that's why 20-21 is more likely for us to start the ascent.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We literally need to dump like 5 vet contracts some how some way this summer.

I mean, cap wise, it doesn't really matter. We suddenly have a decent amount of cap space. I do agree it would make sense in order to give permanent spots to some of the kids, but cap-wise, we have flexibility next year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Bert - Larkin - Mantha
AA - 2019 1st pick - Hirose
Rasmussen - Veleno - Zadina

That's quite a nice offensive Top9 of kids.

Zadina should be able to out play Hirose and possibly Mantha (even in his 9 games, he outplayed Mantha). And I could see Ras not making the team next year, and instead spending some time in the AHL.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I mean, cap wise, it doesn't really matter. We suddenly have a decent amount of cap space. I do agree it would make sense in order to give permanent spots to some of the kids, but cap-wise, we have flexibility next year.
I meant mainly for roster spots.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Does anybody think McIlrath still has a chance at a spot on this team? I like him patrolling the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: