Confirmed with Link: Wings trade Andreas Athanasiou to Edmonton

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
There are three factions from what I can tell:
1.) Hope AA does well there.
2.) I will point out every time he doesn't get a point or does something dumb.
3.) Like, what if, like, he, does good stuff, but better?

4) Apathetic about what AA does in Edmonton; let's see what those two second rounders bring us!

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Watched the oilers game last night. Only one guy played fewer minutes than AA. That guy scored a goal and an assist. AA was a total non factor. He was even in a 4-1 win.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
7gp, 1g/1a
Edmonton Sun:

"James Neal and Andreas Athanasiou had been penciled in to be McDavid’s wingers upon re-entry but Neal had a pathetic performance returning to the McDavid line from injury. And trade deadline newcomer Athanasiou looked totally out of place in his auditions with McDavid, as well."

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
7gp, 1g/1a
Edmonton Sun:

"James Neal and Andreas Athanasiou had been penciled in to be McDavid’s wingers upon re-entry but Neal had a pathetic performance returning to the McDavid line from injury. And trade deadline newcomer Athanasiou looked totally out of place in his auditions with McDavid, as well."
People will excuse this as not having chemistry yet but the funny thing is good hockey players can play with anyone

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
How much did McDavid get in the same game? Or you just a stat watching pro?

Why does that matter? McDavid is literally the best player in hockey. AA is not. For all the talk, I thought AA was supposed to go to Edmonton and be some bonafide top line guy, because, you know, McDavid and how he can skate as fast as him.

AA is performing in Edm like he did in Det. It wasn't how he was being used, this is just how he is.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Teams are going to stop dealing for Wings players at the deadline if this keeps up lol. Tats didn't work in Vegas, AA and Green doing nothing in EDM. I suppose Gus did alright in SJ and Jensen doesn't look awful in Washington...

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Teams are going to stop dealing for Wings players at the deadline if this keeps up lol. Tats didn't work in Vegas, AA and Green doing nothing in EDM. I suppose Gus did alright in SJ and Jensen doesn't look awful in Washington...

Well that's for sure. Who else could you possibly want? LGD or Helm? I guess for a 3rd, but what are you going to do with them? PK and D-Zone faceoffs and that's about it. Unless SY looks to deal the supposed 'Core' of the future I wouldn't want any DRW player if I were a cup contender.

But I'm o.k. with us dealing marginal players at the deadline and getting a steal in return. Think back to all the garbage we added on to no avail. Quincey, ffs. David Legwand!? I freaking hate that guy after watching him play 21 games for us. Complete A-hole. How about Erik Cole? Kyle Calder bleh. Ulf Samuelsson for a 2nd and a 3rd, what a nightmare.

We had some good deadline deals, but those were a long time ago.

Reactions: Retire91

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

It was speculated before the deadline that the Caps are having 2nd thoughts on Jensen being a fit there.

You've also got Mrazek, Smith, Vanek and Jurco on the list of guys that didn't exactly pan out after being sold at the deadline by the Wings.

Wait until AA holds out for $6 million per.

I kind of wonder... If AA doesn't make a measurable impact with the Oilers for the rest of the season and playoffs, could Holland consider not even qualifying him?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Holland is like having a leak in your boat that doesn't sink you right away. He spends assets on things that don't work or are at best marginal stop gaps for an issue you shouldn't have tried to fix. Sure a second here a prospect there, no one is going to miss that right? Then all of a sudden your team starts declining and there doesn't seem to be anything in the future to stop the decline.

I think EDM is a great fit for him because he knows how to not mess up a functioning roster and he is not afraid to get bad contracts out of the way. But some day when that roster no longer functions he is a creeping death spiral into oblivion for an organization.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Several teams are in some kind of funk.

The Oilers have allowed 40+ shots in 3 of their last 4 games, and the one they allowed 31 they lost to hawks 4 to 3. I watched 2nd period and I thought drailsailt looked like Abdelkader. Nothing he did connected. And they were down 4 to 1. I did not watch 3rd, they scored 2, but lost the game.

I do not think they have the slightest thought about AA now. They watch how they can get the team ready for the playoffs.

Wild traded Zucker, then Wild went wild and were winning like crazy, while the pens struggle. The coyetes got the best player but they have lost a lot of ground since the trade. They were supposed to be much better with him.

Remember when Holland made a huge trade in 99. It did not work at all.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
You should read the Oilers thread. They went from dancing in the streets to AA sucks very fast.

Reactions: 14ari13

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In any given year, maybe 8-10 teams add a player(s) at the deadline. But only one team can win the Cup, and several squads will feel as if their new acquisition(s) didn't pan out as expected during their failed postseason.

Now maybe if a guy has term, he can go on to be successful next season and still justify the price paid to get him. But at least for rentals, the math of it all means that a deadline add has a better chance to be a disappointment than to be worthwhile.

Also, Detroit not having deadline suitors in the future doesn't concern me. They're (thankfully) almost out of bad contracts to shed, and the combination of kids and the occasional free agent should start to improve the roster in the next year or two, rather than have us looking for more guys to jettison.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad