Confirmed with Link: Wings trade Andreas Athanasiou to Edmonton

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think we left off at Athanasiou getting under 11 minutes of ice time even with McDavid out, yikes! That is coach's dog house for sure

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think we left off at Athanasiou getting under 11 minutes of ice time even with McDavid out, yikes! That is coach's dog house for sure

He played the least minutes on the team last night.

I watched the game, well most of it I nodded off before the end, but the Oilers were brutal across the board. AA was bad like the rest of his teammates.

Tippett isn't going to play him much when he doesn't trust him in a tight game. I think Tippett is actually treating him how Blashill did at first in terms of he lets him take a few shifts to see if he has it and when he doesn't he staples his ass to the bench. He isn't playing around with hopefully striking lightning and rolling him over the boards for 16 minutes, which you know was something a lot of people pointed out when several were furious with his deployment in Detroit.

Reactions: Bench

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Tippett isn't going to play him much when he doesn't trust him in a tight game. I think Tippett is actually treating him how Blashill did at first in terms of he lets him take a few shifts to see if he has it and when he doesn't he staples his ass to the bench. He isn't playing around with hopefully striking lightning and rolling him over the boards for 16 minutes, which you know was something a lot of people pointed out when several were furious with his deployment in Detroit.
15r15o.jpg

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
So far this guy stinks ! Steve pulled a fast one. How can you guys do that to Holland, your old buddy ? We should get a 2nd back. Be morally responsible....

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It was obvious that AA is not a Tippett kind of guy, beats me why Oilers brass decided he was the guy to spend assets on

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It was obvious that AA is not a Tippett kind of guy, beats me why Oilers brass decided he was the guy to spend assets on

I agree with this and will go a step further. Tippett is not the right coach for the Oilers team in general, as McDavid and Draisaitl are dynamic offensive players and both of them float quite a bit defensively. I think Tippett is a good coach for certain teams, but not more offensively built teams, which is why he did decent in Arizona, and I believe he will not last a lot longer in Edmonton.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
AA sucks without McDavid. What else is new? 2 2nd round picks seems great for a 0.25 ppg player. Where ya at the guys who HATED this trade?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
AA sucks without McDavid. What else is new? 2 2nd round picks seems great for a 0.25 ppg player. Where ya at the guys who HATED this trade?
I am here.
I do not know if there was anyone else but me calling this trade terrible.

I called it terrible as it first was reported it was for 2 2nd rounders. Later it was reported it was for Gagner and 2 2nd rounders. Ganger has been a 0.5 player in his career. He is a player I think I want to be signed, but not at 2,8 million.

The trade is still good for both teams. AA has not produced for them, but as I said they have allowed 40+ shots in 3 of their last 4 games.

Their least problem is AA. They have 2 of the league's biggest guns. They have to figure out how to structure the team around them.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSHH

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They have 2 of the league's biggest guns. They have to figure out how to structure the team around them.
Agreed. But then maybe adding a guy who needs others to support him, rather than a guy to support your established assets, isn't a great move.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Agreed. But then maybe adding a guy who needs others to support him, rather than a guy to support your established assets, isn't a great move.

I do not know. I do not follow their team so closely. But here is what I see.

They have 2 big guns, then there is a huge drop to next man RNH who is 40/50 points behind them, and then even a big drop again players who are 70/80 points behind. Then they have 2 goalies, 1A and 1B, who have played the same amount of games. One has slightly better stats.

I do not think AA is slumping, they are all slumping. Their coach has to figure out how to get more from the team. If he does not do it, they are quickly out in round 1.

Kassian who is their 4th best point producer has 33 points.

They often say that defence wins playoffs. I see that the last year's finalists, Bruins and Blues lead the league in GAA.

Their coach has to prepare the team for the playoffs. I do not see that AA is out produced by their other players.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The * on the front half of his term as GM is that the team won the Cup before he took over.

Yea, because he just kind of stepped in out of nowhere right? Him acting as Director of Amateur Scouting and Assistant GM for a decade before that Cup win happened, as well as a Scout before that probably had little to do with building that Cup roster. Jimmy D probably just felt bad that poor Kenny couldn't crack the NHL as a young goalie, so he just gave him those titles to hang around JLA and be a yes man for him.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
So, still no answer as to what gems Holland found that make him a great scout?

Holland was Director of Amateur Scouting during a whole string of drafts where the Wings found a handful of pieces to build that '97 roster as well as other guys that went on to be decent NHLer's with other teams. It was pretty well known that after Smith departed, Bryan Murray deferred to Holland for strategy and picks when it came to the draft. Even ignoring '89, there's a good list of guys that came from '90-94. Of note, Holland was instrumental in drafting and scouting the goalie that started for 2 Cup teams as well as another that was one game away. Of course the narrative around that goalie was that the team won in spite of him, so I guess that doesn't count.

I find some fans logic behind their hatred of Holland hilarious. Who deserves credit for the 2002 and 2008 teams? -Obviously not Holland, but definitely Bowman, Devallano, Nill and Andersson.- But Holland was in a similar position to Nill and Andersson before the '97 and '98 Cup wins. Does he deserve some credit for that? -No. That was all Devallano, Bowman, Rockstrom and Andersson. Even Neil Smith and Bryan Murray deserve more credit than Holland.-

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

You could see this coming from miles away. That said, I don't think it was a bad deal from Kenny necessarily. He acquired an RFA with arbitration rights. When Tippett tells Kenny he wants AA out of the room, Kenny will recover some of the draft capital he gave up to acquire him. Nothing waggered, nothing gained.

And for the record, I still don't think he is totally healthy

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
You could see this coming from miles away. That said, I don't think it was a bad deal from Kenny necessarily. He acquired an RFA with arbitration rights. When Tippett tells Kenny he wants AA out of the room, Kenny will recover some of the draft capital he gave up to acquire him. Nothing waggered, nothing gained.

And for the record, I still don't think he is totally healthy
If he wasn’t totally healthy, and that nagging injury was a negative impact on a team trying to make the playoffs, I gotta think they’d rest him until he was.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Especially for a guy nobody likes.

Oh, I liked, and still like him. I'm only moderately disappointed he was traded, because when he's on, he's one of the most electrifying players in the game.

That being said, the power wasn't on both ways, so it was frustrating at times to watch; however, if someone can get his head right, he'll be a dynamite piece.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I touched on this before, but this isn't the first time Kenny has done this with a coach. The Legwand trade also had Kenny bringing in a guy we thought would get top minutes, but was quickly relegated to the 4th line by Babcock. And we justified the Legwand trade because it wasn't supposed to be a rental, per Ken himself.

Seeing two deadline acquisitions, both intended to boost the top 6, but with the coach stapling the guys to the 4th line...

Either the coach didn't know what they wanted or Ken isn't consulting them. I don't know. It's weird to see it happen twice for a deadline move.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I touched on this before, but this isn't the first time Kenny has done this with a coach. The Legwand trade also had Kenny bringing in a guy we thought would get top minutes, but was quickly relegated to the 4th line by Babcock. And we justified the Legwand trade because it wasn't supposed to be a rental, per Ken himself.

Seeing two deadline acquisitions, both intended to boost the top 6, but with the coach stapling the guys to the 4th line...

Either the coach didn't know what they wanted or Ken isn't consulting them. I don't know. It's weird to see it happen twice for a deadline move.

Or it was just a risk they were willing to take. No trade is guaranteed to work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad