Confirmed with Link: Wings trade Alec Regula for Brendan Perlini

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm guessing he's a 15-20 goal guy that is a threat with his speed and strength. If he can learn to be a solid 200 foot player and PKer with his speed, he'll be dangerous.

Look at his OHL highlights (video below) and you'll see what his puck skills, shot accuracy and quickness really looks like. As he get's stronger and settles in, he'll continue to develop. I suspect he's going to be a late bloomer like Franzen was.

I think he'll be a fine 3rd line winger. Certainly worth the cost of Regula.

Whether it's the OHL, Coyotes, or CHI highlights, I don't see much that says NHL scorer. Looks good on breakaways and when he has time and space, but he doesn't possess fast hands. 15 - 20 goals? Maybe, but even Helm was a 15 goal scorer once.

He doesn't cycle the puck, and he's not a defensive player. I think it's 3rd line winger or nothing with him. Definitely don;t want him on the top line with Larkin.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Whether it's the OHL, Coyotes, or CHI highlights, I don't see much that says NHL scorer. Looks good on breakaways and when he has time and space, but he doesn't possess fast hands. 15 - 20 goals? Maybe, but even Helm was a 15 goal scorer once.

He doesn't cycle the puck, and he's not a defensive player. I think it's 3rd line winger or nothing with him. Definitely don;t want him on the top line with Larkin.

He screams "late bloomer" to me. Even scouts from his scouting reports don't agree with your assessment and judge of talent.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He screams "late bloomer" to me. Even scouts from his scouting reports don't agree with your assessment and judge of talent.
He's 23 YO, 5 1/2 years since he was drafted. Scouting reports are a bit dated. I'm watching games, not reading scouting reports. If you see any flashes of talent, let me know, 'cause I haven't seen much.

Right now we've got 3 players on the third line that can't cycle the puck, so the line is bound to be a disaster.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He's 23 YO, 5 1/2 years since he was drafted. Scouting reports are a bit dated. I'm watching games, not reading scouting reports. If you see any flashes of talent, let me know, 'cause I haven't seen much.

Right now we've got 3 players on the third line that can't cycle the puck, so the line is bound to be a disaster.

Lol, and if he was putting up 23 year old Anthony Mantha numbers like you seem to expect, you aren't getting him for Regula.

Are you watching games? he has shown little confidence. And even a recent Athletic article talks about his lack of confidence. And if you are, in fact, watching games, then you'd have seen he has shown some flashes. Thought you said you were watching games?!?! I am thinking you are not watching any games, or very few games...

Try watching every game. NHL.tv is a bargain!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lol, and if he was putting up 23 year old Anthony Mantha numbers like you seem to expect, you aren't getting him for Regula.

Are you watching games? he has shown little confidence. And even a recent Athletic article talks about his lack of confidence. And if you are, in fact, watching games, then you'd have seen he has shown some flashes. Thought you said you were watching games?!?! I am thinking you are not watching any games, or very few games...

Try watching every game. NHL.tv is a bargain!
I have NHL.TV. What you perceive as lack of confidence, I perceive as lack of skill. We'll see who's right.

Also, have you ever seen him cycle the puck yet? I haven't.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Perlini is skilled. I also think he's too unwilling to go to the hard areas of the ice to score and doesn't have the IQ to make up for that lack of desire. he skates around a lot, takes a couple of shots into the goalie's pads, and heads to the bench.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I have NHL.TV. What you perceive as lack of confidence, I perceive as lack of skill. We'll see who's right.

Also, have you ever seen him cycle the puck yet? I haven't.

He's a poor man's Neal/Mantha. Not one to go grit it down. If that's what you wanted, then maybe start a "fire Yzerman" thread... because he has apparently wronged you in the most incomprehensible way.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's a poor man's Neal/Mantha. Not one to go grit it down. If that's what you wanted, then maybe start a "fire Yzerman" thread... because he has apparently wronged you in the most incomprehensible way.
Where are you going with this?

I said he's got a slow trigger, doesn't have shot placement, can't finish, and can't cycle, to a guy who wanted to see him on the first line. So that means I want Stevie fired? That's a strange turn.

Stevie traded a B prospect for a guy with NHL experience. He also got Fabbri for a waiver pickup. Some trades work, some don't. As long as he makes more good trades than bad trades, nobody is calling for his head.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Where are you going with this?

I said he's got a slow trigger, doesn't have shot placement, can't finish, and can't cycle, to a guy who wanted to see him on the first line. So that means I want Stevie fired? That's a strange turn.

Stevie traded a B prospect for a guy with NHL experience. He also got Fabbri for a waiver pickup. Some trades work, some don't. As long as he makes more good trades than bad trades, nobody is calling for his head.

Sounds like you are already writing off the 23 year old who has played a whopping 10 games with the Wings. You're basing your ridiculous analysis of him based on a handful of NHL games. It's blatantly clear you have a very poor understanding of hockey.

I suggested you might want to start a 'fire Stevie' thread because you are clearly impatient and demand immediate [self gratifying] success out of every trade. It doesn't work that way, hoss.

Fabbri is the exception, not the rule. Sounds like you're already calling Fabbri a win when we don't know if a small gust of wind does't blow his knee out again.

Unlike you, I refuse to call Perlini a fail and Fabbri a win until I see more games out of them. You need to calm down a little with your demands, expectations and excitement.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last 6 games, 5-on-5.

Fabbri, 6 goals for, 6 against.

Perlini, 1 goal for, 1 against.

Other is putting points on the board, other is defending.

Fabbri makes a small edge on power-play, but on other situations they help the team just as much.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
What do you think you accomplish by poking your head in after a game in which he doesn't appear on the score sheet to make a snide comment?
What do you think you accomplish by defending someone not producing?should i start shitting on nielsen so you can ride in on your horse and be his knight in shining armour?

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sounds like you are already writing off the 23 year old who has played a whopping 10 games with the Wings. You're basing your ridiculous analysis of him based on a handful of NHL games. It's blatantly clear you have a very poor understanding of hockey.

I suggested you might want to start a 'fire Stevie' thread because you are clearly impatient and demand immediate [self gratifying] success out of every trade. It doesn't work that way, hoss.

Fabbri is the exception, not the rule. Sounds like you're already calling Fabbri a win when we don't know if a small gust of wind does't blow his knee out again.

Unlike you, I refuse to call Perlini a fail and Fabbri a win until I see more games out of them. You need to calm down a little with your demands, expectations and excitement.
I don't "need" to do anything for you. Not sure who you think you are.

I'm pointing out his weaknesses, yes based on a few games so far. I went and watched his highlights and don't see anything different. At no point did I say he couldn't develop into something, but as of right now he's not much of a player.

If you're gonna defend him by pointing out his positive attributes, that's cool, but attacking me personally isn't going to change my mind or improve his game.

Also, tell me what part of my analysis is "ridiculous"? Yes, I understand the sample size is small, but you haven;t countered with any examples from recent games. I mean HE CAN'T CYCLE THE PUCK. That makes him worthless as bottom 6 player.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't "need" to do anything for you. Not sure who you think you are.

I'm pointing out his weaknesses, yes based on a few games so far. I went and watched his highlights and don't see anything different. At no point did I say he couldn't develop into something, but as of right now he's not much of a player.

If you're gonna defend him by pointing out his positive attributes, that's cool, but attacking me personally isn't going to change my mind or improve his game.

Also, tell me what part of my analysis is "ridiculous"? Yes, I understand the sample size is small, but you haven;t countered with any examples from recent games. I mean HE CAN'T CYCLE THE PUCK. That makes him worthless as bottom 6 player.

You need to calm down.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I'm starting to hate this trade more and more. Perlini just seems to be a big body that skates well, nothing else about his play stands out positively.

Reactions: Gniwder

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
You need to calm down.
Fr, you're the one tweaking. Perlini isn't good and there's a really REALLY small likelihood that he'll end up being more than a serviceable third liner. IDK why you feel the need to defend him so hard? He hasn't done anything for the Wings, Hawks, or Yotes. Not every first round pick turns out like a first round pick

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm starting to hate this trade more and more. Perlini just seems to be a big body that skates well, nothing else about his play stands out positively.
If you look at all of Stevie's trades combined, it's still a win.

Erne + Fabbri + Perlini >> 4th rd + DLR + Regula

Erne and Perlini have yet to score but I would have traded all of those assets for just Fabbri. Some trades work out some don't. But I like the fact that Stevie is willing to take chances,.

Fr, you're the one tweaking. Perlini isn't good and there's a really REALLY small likelihood that he'll end up being more than a serviceable third liner. IDK why you feel the need to defend him so hard? He hasn't done anything for the Wings, Hawks, or Yotes. Not every first round pick turns out like a first round pick
Maybe he has some sort of personal connection, played for his favorite juniors team, or he was a fan before he was drafted, or whatever. I don't see anything wrong with a fan supporting a player, but I did have issues with the way he went about it. If he had pointed out the positive attributes of the player instead of attacking the poster, I wouldn't have any issue at all. I've learned that t doesn't make sense to resort to personal attacks here, because sometime you agree with posters, sometime you don't. I don't hold personal grudges, it's just a hockey fan forum.

If Perlini develops his game, learns to cycle the puck, works on his shot placement, puts effort into defensive play, he could still turn out to be a decent middle 6 player, but that's a lot of ifs. Much like Ehn, he's got NHL size and skating, so it's early to give up on him, but his play since joining the team has tempered my expectations considerably. To be fair, he's been skating with Nielsen and Hirose who can't cycle the puck, and also Erne who's an offensive black hole. I'd like to see him with different linemates before giving up, this season is shot anyways, it's time to start experimenting.

Reactions: kliq

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
IDK why you feel the need to defend him so hard? He hasn't done anything for the Wings, Hawks, or Yotes. Not every first round pick turns out like a first round pick

Defending him vs. advising folks to be patient are two different things. The young man only played a small handful of games, with garbage linemates, with Wings. I think it is ignorant to not be patient.

He hasn't looked bad. He is a project. I don't expect him to be a proven 30 goal scorer his first dozen games here. Having Unrealistic expectations leads to disappointment. Our society (millennials) demand 'instant gratification' on such an annoying and obnoxious level. Not just in sports, but to everyday life. It's pathetic.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If you look at all of Stevie's trades combined, it's still a win.

Erne + Fabbri + Perlini >> 4th rd + DLR + Regula

Erne and Perlini have yet to score but I would have traded all of those assets for just Fabbri. Some trades work out some don't. But I like the fact that Stevie is willing to take chances,.

I think this is the key. When you make little moves like this, the chances of any individual move hitting is extremely low. The more moves you make, the higher chance you have of one of them working out. If Fabbri alone works out and he goes 1 for 3, I think this is a HUGE success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad