Wings take LW Cross Hanas at 55th

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
yeah I think we're in agreement. I think it was Kevin Weekes who was pretty hyperbolic about it, as was a lot of the reaction here unsurprisingly.

I think it was a fun goal and kudos to the guy for trying it. I guess I considered it a great highlight goal but some people made it sound like he had landed on the moon.

Zegras is the only guy to do it in an NHL game and score. He barely got the pass out before the slash from Miller arrived. I think it is hard to do at that level, I know I had never seen it executed. That kids went and did it at the junior level afterwards isn't surprising. The talent disparity is pretty massive there. Portland doesn't even really react. To be clear the Sabres have poor coverage but they very much start to realize what is about to happen and are responding. I think that is a pretty large portion of it.

When guys do things nobody has done at the NHL level it is pretty special. It is a part of what made us ram Datsyuk down other fanbases throats.

Zegras for me is one of my all-time draft misses, I had him at 15 and was convinced most of what he did just wouldn't happen at the NHL level and he would become a 50 to 60 point winger. Dead wrong. But I still find that play pretty spectacular. People might find that hyperbolic, that is fine, but I was right along with Kevin Weeks on that one. To cradle the puck appear to be doing the Michigan and then flip it over wasn't something I have seen.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Zegras is the only guy to do it in an NHL game and score. He barely got the pass out before the slash from Miller arrived. I think it is hard to do at that level, I know I had never seen it executed.

Things that favor Lazlo's stance...Miller's slash never made it. It wasn't like Zegras was going for a lacrosse goal and changed to the pass when he realized the defense was coming with a slash. Zegras had the edge from the start and Miller was playing for the Zegras shot attempt, not the pass. Second, it was wholly unnecessary. Asplund jumped outside early to take away the pass to the right half wall, leaving Milano unchecked at the net front with a clear lane from Zegras to Milano's blade. While the surprise may have assisted in the goal, the potential for error is immense compared to a tape to tape net front scoring chance. That being said, executing this Zegras play probably has a higher chance of ending with a goal than the conventional tape to tape pass.

What it boils down to is a surprise pass with high likelihood of error either on execution or conversion. It requires a lot of skill to be able to do it within the tempo of NHL hockey and make the pass in a manageable location, but too much or too little and you've thrown away possession of the puck in a dangerous position of the ice. I can see why a coach like Torts would hate it, and I understand why fans want more of it. The reality should be somewhere in the middle. It can't be the only play in your playbook, but like a fake punt, it's always something to have in your back pocket.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad