Wings take LW Cross Hanas at 55th

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wait, you expect people around here to actually watch the prospects they are talking about? I think you are on the wrong board.

Crazy, right?

I'd expect that at least a few people here watch the totally legitimate feeds to keep an eye on our players here.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
How come we just drafted Hanas in 2020, but we are going to loose his right in June 2022. That feels very fast to loose a player's rights.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
That's the system when drafting players from Canadian juniors.

So if you draft from the CHL, you hold the players rights for 2 years? I ask this sincerely, I don't mean this in a snarky way whatsoever.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So if you draft from the CHL, you hold the players rights for 2 years? I ask this sincerely, I don't mean this in a snarky way whatsoever.
Yes, 2 years for CHL and 4 for Europe and college. If the players leaves the CHL before age 20 then the club gets 4 years if the kid was 18 at the draft or 3 years if 19.

It's on page 17 of the CBA (The page numbered 17, not page 17 of the pdf)
Collective Bargaining Agreement

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Is he even going to be NHL player, I don't know , but if you watch 19 year old Panarin video you whoud never believe he is going to play in NHL

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That's a pretty great example of why Zegras's goal was fun to see but overhyped.

I assume the argument here is that if 19 year olds can pull it off, it's less impressive when older kids (like 20yo Zegras) pull it off? I would rebut that by saying the flipside holds far more water. That is, the speed of the NHL, the lack of time and space, the more dominant defense... makes it far more difficult to pull off in the NHL. The thing that was most impressive about the Zegras goal was never the skill, per se, required to do it, but the conditions under which he pulled it off (i.e. against NHL competition). Hanas pulled it off against guys who will be in beer league in 8 years.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I assume the argument here is that if 19 year olds can pull it off, it's less impressive when older kids (like 20yo Zegras) pull it off? I would rebut that by saying the flipside holds far more water. That is, the speed of the NHL, the lack of time and space, the more dominant defense... makes it far more difficult to pull off in the NHL. The thing that was most impressive about the Zegras goal was never the skill, per se, required to do it, but the conditions under which he pulled it off (i.e. against NHL competition). Hanas pulled it off against guys who will be in beer league in 8 years.
I don't disagree but I think it also required some pretty poor defense.

Don't get me wrong it's a fun play just like the lacrosse goal is. But it's not the game changer some people made it out to be at the time.

People reacted similarly to the lacrosse goal but it's not like that revolutionized the game.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't disagree but I think it also required some pretty poor defense.

Don't get me wrong it's a fun play just like the lacrosse goal is. But it's not the game changer some people made it out to be at the time.

People reacted similarly to the lacrosse goal but it's not like that revolutionized the game.

Honestly, the couple days after that happened were super busy for me and I wasn't very plugged in, here or on any other hockey social media or on tv. So I'm largely unaware of exactly how hyped this got and I may be misreading the responses to that hype.

I certainly don't think it'll revolutionize the game, and I agree that the defense has to be a bit porous there (meaning it certainly wouldn't work in any situation). But I think Zegras should be commended for the creativity there (which is the aspect of it that is most exciting to me, in terms of how it may "affect" the game), and for recognizing that there was an opening. We've seen guys try the Michigan goal and utterly fail because the opening wasn't there, so I think when guys apply this kinda skill and creativity, and recognize when it can succeed and then execute it... it's pretty special. Being the first one to do adds some pizazz as well of course.

It's something that can be easily overhyped though, to be sure.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Honestly, the couple days after that happened were super busy for me and I wasn't very plugged in, here or on any other hockey social media or on tv. So I'm largely unaware of exactly how hyped this got and I may be misreading the responses to that hype.

I certainly don't think it'll revolutionize the game, and I agree that the defense has to be a bit porous there (meaning it certainly wouldn't work in any situation). But I think Zegras should be commended for the creativity there (which is the aspect of it that is most exciting to me, in terms of how it may "affect" the game), and for recognizing that there was an opening. We've seen guys try the Michigan goal and utterly fail because the opening wasn't there, so I think when guys apply this kinda skill and creativity, and recognize when it can succeed and then execute it... it's pretty special. Being the first one to do adds some pizazz as well of course.

It's something that can be easily overhyped though, to be sure.
yeah I think we're in agreement. I think it was Kevin Weekes who was pretty hyperbolic about it, as was a lot of the reaction here unsurprisingly.

I think it was a fun goal and kudos to the guy for trying it. I guess I considered it a great highlight goal but some people made it sound like he had landed on the moon.

Reactions: jaster

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Pretty goal and set up, if I were the other team all the giggling on the bench would have bought them both a couple of cross checks and elbows, but that's assuming that Buffalo players actually give a damn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad