Wings take LW Cross Hanas at 55th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Like him a lot more after seeing some videos.

Thought he would be one-dimensional sniper, but there's more on his play. Great passing too, which is really really important, to become a more complete offensive weapon. This guy has good offensive IQ. And hands...? You have to have some hands, to make that lacrosse-goal twice in real hockey. Also nice, sharp wrister.

Loved that assist for the Stefan goal.

Reactions: hkydave04

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Like him a lot more after seeing some videos.

Thought he would be one-dimensional sniper, but there's more on his play. Great passing too, which is really really important, to become a more complete offensive weapon. This guy has good offensive IQ. And hands...? You have to have some hands, to make that lacrosse-goal twice in real hockey. Also nice, sharp wrister.

Loved that assist for the Stefan goal.

The kid’s stick skills look to be top notch. On the main prospects forum a Portland fan stated that he was given inconsistent ice on the 2nd and 3rd lines most of the year. I wonder how he’d do with first line ice.
I really like this kid’s game. Finesse with the ability to make plays below the circles. Let’s hope his skating catches up to his hands.

Reactions: hkydave04

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I dunno if he's good enough to make the NHL, but he looks like he'll develop into an AHL All-Star, reminds me of Keith Aucoin. Aucoin was a tad slow in both skating and decision making to cut it in the NHL.

We'll see what happens, but at least it's an intriguing pick.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I dunno if he's good enough to make the NHL, but he looks like he'll develop into an AHL All-Star, reminds me of Keith Aucoin. Aucoin was a tad slow in both skating and decision making to cut it in the NHL.

We'll see what happens, but at least it's an intriguing pick.

That's a possibility as well. Less than ideal, but I think that AHL depth scorer is the floor.

Not saying he'll get there, but Jamie Benn, Mark Stone and James Neal were bigger guys drafted after the first round who had great hands but poor skating.

If Hanas really puts in the work to improve his skating then we're looking at a player. But that is entirely up to him at this point.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Is it? I guess I don't know what the status of the WHL is, but I thought they were going to be playing at some point?

They were going to start on January 8th but the league announced further delays in mid-December. There is no way that multiple WHL players with proper agents leave the league for the USHL (when they no longer have any NCAA eligibility) if the WHL is going to start the season in short order. Make of it what you will, but the USHL is one of the few junior leagues in NA still standing and playing. If you want to play hockey this year you need to go find a league that is playing.

Reactions: Mister Ed

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
They were going to start on January 8th but the league announced further delays in mid-December. There is no way that multiple WHL players with proper agents leave the league for the USHL (when they no longer have any NCAA eligibility) if the WHL is going to start the season in short order. Make of it what you will, but the USHL is one of the few junior leagues in NA still standing and playing. If you want to play hockey this year you need to go find a league that is playing.

That makes sense, just surprised to hear the WHL still isn't happening I guess.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's not in the agents' best interest to allow their clients to go to college because then they have to sever their relationship.

"The NCAA’s power conferences voted Friday to let men’s hockey players sign with agents and not lose their college eligibility. The representation has to stop before the players actually enroll in college."

The NCAA acknowledges agents won’t end the world

Up until a few years ago, NCAA athletes couldn't have agents at all...

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
It's not in the agents' best interest to allow their clients to go to college because then they have to sever their relationship.

"The NCAA’s power conferences voted Friday to let men’s hockey players sign with agents and not lose their college eligibility. The representation has to stop before the players actually enroll in college."

The NCAA acknowledges agents won’t end the world

Up until a few years ago, NCAA athletes couldn't have agents at all...

Hanas is still ineligible to play NCAA though, since he played (and got paid) in the WHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
As Jaster correctly points out, they aren't going to the USHL to play NCAA hockey. That ship has already sailed (unless they are willing to sit out a year or more). They are simply looking for another junior league to play in until the WHL is back up and running. Kids move between the CHL and the Canadian Tier II leagues with some regularity.

Also, for all intents and purposes, high end NCAA players have historically had "family advisors" for many years. These were effectively agents all but in name.

Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why did he not go back to the WHL when the WHL started?

He seemed more productive playing there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looks like he is mostly getting top 6 minutes, from the teams lines posted on twitter. Lincoln is the lowest scoring team in the USHL though, so probably tough to put up good numbers there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Looks like he is mostly getting top 6 minutes, from the teams lines posted on twitter. Lincoln is the lowest scoring team in the USHL though, so probably tough to put up good numbers there.

More importantly, how has his skating looked? The kid had the hands of a 1st liner but his skating was pretty bad. Has it improved?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad