Wings take LW Cross Hanas at 55th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think he'll be a trade piece at some point.

But worth of development and we'll just swap the value for something needed on later years.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
4-5 year project to make it to the pros. Very good hands. Really needs to work on his footwork and speed.

I think he'll get more playing time this year in the WHL. Either via trade or working his way up the lineup in Portland. (If there's a season)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
With AA gone, I finally have someone in the prospect pool I can hate. Cool.

Any prospect with compete/intensity/consistency issues I automatically am underwhelmed with.

Reactions: FMichael

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
When ever I hear skating and speed I get really worried.

Really don't like this pick I think he will completely drop out or just be career AHL, not sure why we picked so high.

That said I trust the Yzerplan.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When ever I hear skating and speed I get really worried.

You were worried also about Brayden Point, Jamie Benn and Mark Stone, when they were drafted?

Some guys will overwork their hurdles, some won't.

But skating issues, aren't 100% a bad pick. If the scouts have seen the issue can be worked out via development. That's what separates us amateurs about those real professionals in scouting.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Portland fan here, seen him about 20 times between his 16 and 17 year old seasons. He's a big body with good hands and I think that combination is what got him drafted so high. The problem I have with him is his decision making, especially at 5v5. He can be creative, as evidenced by the lacrosse goals, but other than that he doesn't read the play well, and as a result can often turn the puck over. I think he's a guy who developed early by being big and his dad being a coach led to stick development, but he doesn't have the toolbox to make the most of his gifts. Mentally he still thinks the game as if he's playing bantam or midget. If he can develop that, he could really shine but I am not gonna hold my breath for it. This year we had basically an open slate for who was gonna be in the top 6 forward group with Glass and Blichfeld graduating and not having much support behind them in 2018-19. Guys like Seth Jarvis and Jaydon Dereau took advantage of that, whereas Hanas would contribute some nights, but be invisible for the next couple, leading to his low point totals and typically being used on the 3rd line. He reminds me a lot of Paul Bittner, another big bodied winger we had that had some skill but not the rest of the necessary tools to become an NHler.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Cool name that is for sure. It is among one of the better ones we have seen.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Portland fan here, seen him about 20 times between his 16 and 17 year old seasons. He's a big body with good hands and I think that combination is what got him drafted so high. The problem I have with him is his decision making, especially at 5v5. He can be creative, as evidenced by the lacrosse goals, but other than that he doesn't read the play well, and as a result can often turn the puck over. I think he's a guy who developed early by being big and his dad being a coach led to stick development, but he doesn't have the toolbox to make the most of his gifts. Mentally he still thinks the game as if he's playing bantam or midget. If he can develop that, he could really shine but I am not gonna hold my breath for it. This year we had basically an open slate for who was gonna be in the top 6 forward group with Glass and Blichfeld graduating and not having much support behind them in 2018-19. Guys like Seth Jarvis and Jaydon Dereau took advantage of that, whereas Hanas would contribute some nights, but be invisible for the next couple, leading to his low point totals and typically being used on the 3rd line. He reminds me a lot of Paul Bittner, another big bodied winger we had that had some skill but not the rest of the necessary tools to become an NHler.
Do you think he can play as a grinder

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This kids hands are insane..I had no idea he could dangle like this.

This pick has grown on me a ton since the draft, I'm actually pumped to see if he can develop into an NHLer. Unreal mitts on the kid..

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Anyone else have good comparables for his floor / ceiling in terms of play style?

Judging by the posts talking about his sick hands but poor decision making, i'm betting on his nickname being "Stupid Datsyuk".

Hockey IQ aside, he doesn't have the stick skills as Datsyuk... but he does have sick stick skills. High risk/ High reward player.

More like a poor man's (better skating, lower IQ) version of Tomas Jurco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad