Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the season that Yzerman goes fully scorched earth and gets rid of the last of the Holland-era players. He tried to load up the roster and we're likely to end up just as bad as last year.

Larkin for a first, second, and a good C prospect.
Bertuzzi for a low first.
Spare parts for second\third\fourth round picks.
Zadina for a 4th.

That'll be enough to sink the team into a top-5 pick.
There's no way Yzerman would've brought in all of these veteran players. Like Chiarot and Maatta and Perron and Copp if he planned on going scorched earth. That's not Yzermans gig and i doubt ownership would tolerate it.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the season that Yzerman goes fully scorched earth and gets rid of the last of the Holland-era players. He tried to load up the roster and we're likely to end up just as bad as last year.

Zadina for a 4th.

And then I'm watching the team for what reason, exactly? No familiar faces or numbers? No "oh wow I remember his first game/goal/whatever as a Red Wing"?

This kind of logic is what bad Hollywood writers use when they grab an old property and make everyone gay and gender-swapped and then wonder why no one is watching.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
And then I'm watching the team for what reason, exactly? No familiar faces or numbers? No "oh wow I remember his first game/goal/whatever as a Red Wing"?

This kind of logic is what bad Hollywood writers use when they grab an old property and make everyone gay and gender-swapped and then wonder why no one is watching.
What movie is this cause I want to watch it?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Kubalik, 27-year old
last 250 NHL games. 76 goals + 74 assists = 150 points.
0.60 points per game

Tatar, 27-year old at (2018)
before his trade, 225 games, 62 + 57 = 119 points.
0.53 points per game.
1st+2nd+3rd?
Yes please.
A nice comparable for Walman is Brandon Montour IMO.
Similiar style and strengths and weaknesses. And while they can play up in the depth chart, both aren’t looked at as ‘top end’ pedigree guys.

Montour recently signed a multi year deal worth 3.5M/year (As a UFA). And he had a much longer track record at the NHL level then Walman.
So I would assume Walman will be somewhere below that number.
Walman is 2-3 M, but so was Lapointe 20 years ago and he got 5 M. I won't be surprised if a mad GM throws that money at him, but I very strongly doubt it. I think 2-2,5 is realistic, though 3 is not out of question.

Perron can be traded for 1st, but Yzerman won't trade him if Perron doesn't want it, unless there is a crazy offer.
Maatta and Kubalik should definitely be traded and Yzerman should find a 1st.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I think the odds Yzerman doesn't re-sign Larkin is very low.

It will probably be a boring trade deadline where he shops Sundqvist, Erne and Suter for whatever they'll bring back. Maybe Maatta is shopped too, but then he'd just turn around and try to bring in a similar defenseman in the off season, so maybe he'll just re-sign him for a year or two. I'd guess Bertuzzi is re-signed on a short term deal, but that could be the one player where there is a big surprise trade at the deadline a la Mantha.

From a draft lottery standpoint, they'll probably finish 10th or 11th with a low of 8th being a realistic outcome. If they do actually finish 8th, they'd have a 6% chance at Bedard and a 6.4% chance at finishing second and having their choice of Fantilli, Carlsson or Michkov. It's unlikely, but still possible. If the Wings don't get really lucky in the lottery, it just seems like they could float in mediocrity for awhile; whereas if they get lucky then the whole direction of the franchise changes overnight.

I think my biggest disappointment with Yzerman so far is he built out a real hockey staff in Tampa Bay. However, in Detroit, it is just he and his old buddies running the whole team. For example, would Draper be in his position if he didn't play for the Wings? The front office looks very similar to what it would have if Holland was running things, and that is just not what I expected. Horcoff, Campbell, Fischer, Cleary, Draper, Maltby and many of the scouting staff are just holdovers from the Holland era and with several getting major promotions. After that, Yzerman added Kronwall and Lidstrom to his staff and that's been about it. The Copp and Chiarot signings, in particular, brought back memories of what Holland would have done in that exact same situation, so I'm hoping Yzerman changes course at this deadline and in the coming off season and makes some serious changes to how the organization is running. It is at a bit of a crossroads at this point. I think it makes sense to keep European amateur scouting as is, and that is one thing the organization still does well. But, it has badly needed an overhaul in North American scouting, pro scouting and player development for awhile to make it a more modern organization and I'm still holding out hope that will happen one day. A shakeup needs to happen and hopefully there is some serious luck, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murmansk16A

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
For example, would Draper be in his position if he didn't play for the Wings?
He seems to be good at his job. I'm not familiar enough with every hire Steve did in Tampa to know what he did differently, but I don't see much reason to doubt the hockey-ops side of things right now.

Reactions: jkutswings

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Trade anyone for anything. Sucks. Feel like Wings are about to toss the whole script and restart. I just don't have any good feelings for this team right now. They don't have enough stable building blocks.

Teams pretty much incapable of bringing in top talent. They seem unwilling to pay in FA for the best and unwilling to sign their own while also unwilling to make a big trade. They're running this thing scared imo, penny pinching players and hoping the draft saves them. I don't even understand the money to Chiarot/Perron now. They're old, and the team would have been better combining both salaries and paying 1 younger guy.

If it's not a top line FA I really don't even want to hear about it anymore. We can draft plenty of middle six guys, can't get 1 who's a top line player. Also don't want to sign one, trade for one, Idk... you'll only be so good with a bunch of average to slightly above average guys. Red Wings/Yzerman are going to eventually have to pay to play if they want too actually be good. The talent level between us and teams like Boston/Toronto/etc is HUGE! Most teams have between 3-5 players on their teams that'd be the best player here.

It's getting weird enough to where... hey, follow up with another terrible offseason, Yzerman, I really think his job should be on the line. A few good draft picks in the top 10 doesn't save someone their job.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
He seems to be good at his job. I'm not familiar enough with every hire Steve did in Tampa to know what he did differently, but I don't see much reason to doubt the hockey-ops side of things right now.

I'm not being a jerk, but honestly, how would you assume this either way, (good or bad.)

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
There's no way Yzerman would've brought in all of these veteran players. Like Chiarot and Maatta and Perron and Copp if he planned on going scorched earth. That's not Yzermans gig and i doubt ownership would tolerate it.
I think you're right, and unfortunately...

It makes Yzerman look really, really, bad. He tried to make a playoff competitive team and failed. Not that we'd make it, but he wanted Wings in the picture/graphic. He needs to quit with his Zig's and pull a Zag real fast.

I'm mostly upset because Yzerman had a shot during December when Wings were in this, experiencing injuries, to make a move and remain competitive but didn't. Which then leads to why sign any of those veterans this offseason if you aren't willing to add more to win? Whatever...

Super disappointed with the season/Yzerman. Hopefully he can pull a rabbit out his hat, but his trajectory is officially on the downside here. He's made a few good picks and cleared some cap. Thats the good. Still pulling average FA's and over-paying for them in AAV and Term/Year.

Yzerman was brought in really to bring in game changing talent. If he can't do that or is unwilling to swing and try, you gotta go get a guy with Stones big enough to try outside the box.

We'll know a lot of the team's direction imo based on what they do with Chariot this offseason. He should straight up be traded/bought out from this team. His money is whatever, he's literally making players worst that play with him. Can't have that on a young developing team. We'll see...

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Zadina for a 4th.

So playoffs in 12 years?

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It makes Yzerman look really, really, bad. He tried to make a playoff competitive team and failed. Not that we'd make it, but he wanted Wings in the picture/graphic. He needs to quit with his Zig's and pull a Zag real fast.

I'm mostly upset because Yzerman had a shot during December when Wings were in this, experiencing injuries, to make a move and remain competitive but didn't. Which then leads to why sign any of those veterans this offseason if you aren't willing to add more to win? Whatever...

Super disappointed with the season/Yzerman. Hopefully he can pull a rabbit out his hat, but his trajectory is officially on the downside here. He's made a few good picks and cleared some cap. Thats the good. Still pulling average FA's and over-paying for them in AAV and Term/Year.

Yzerman was brought in really to bring in game changing talent. If he can't do that or is unwilling to swing and try, you gotta go get a guy with Stones big enough to try outside the box.

We'll know a lot of the team's direction imo based on what they do with Chariot this offseason. He should straight up be traded/bought out from this team. His money is whatever, he's literally making players worst that play with him. Can't have that on a young developing team. We'll see...

Nah,

Yzerman couldn't predict injuries. Having these Bertuzzi and Vrana problems, affected on this season plan in a HUGE way.

We did never saw the full potential of this team.

I was super-happy what Yzerman did. Bolstered the roster. New culture, more defensive game etc. But it didn't go like he planned, for sure, thanks to these injuries, Vrana-case and failing Ned etc.

Reactions: dalem177

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm struggling to understand fan expectations here. I had thought the general tenor before this season was, "better than last year, possibly a bubble team". But there's a lot of chatter as if the roster is a total disaster because we're not locked into a playoff spot.

Underwhelming? Yes.
Frustrating? Sure.
Outright failure? C'mon now.

There's no magic bullet for this rebuild. I like the improvement from Rasmussen and (for the most part) from Hronek. I like how Berggren and Soderblom are tracking. I very much look forward to seeing at least some of Edvinsson next year, and expect an overall rebound from Raymond and Seider (who are both already better of late than to start the season). Kasper will be fun to keep tabs on. There's plenty going on, it's just taking longer than some would like.

42b.jpg

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Be as woke as you want. Leave normal stuff alone in the meantime.
Hollywood has been making bad, unoriginal remakes for decades now. Strange that's it's only become a problem recently now that some of those unoriginal remakes and spinoffs are interpreted as "woke," or whatever.

Anyway, the Wings started hot this year and gave some hope for a playoff push for a minute. It didn't hold up. Expectations returned to what they pretty much were before the season: Improved from last season but still not a playoff team. Yzerman added some nice pieces, some of whom will make Detroit more attractive sellers at this deadline. Trade what makes sense and then most of the rest of the roster audition for roles next season. Have a good draft. Make improvements in the off-season. Continue the rebuild.

It's a slow process. People are impatient.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Be as woke as you want. Leave normal stuff alone in the meantime.

Ghostbusters and Ocean's Eight, and many more. Quite frankly I thought the rant was funny, but I'm old.

I wouldn't mind a fire sale. I'll just watch the Kraken for a couple of years.

I think you guys are giving studios too much credit for "wokeness" (an evil word and pejorative, I know). I think it's more cynically trying to use a cultural trend to recycle old ideas and properties they already own, which they've been doing practically since their existence (Top Gun, anyone?). Like Ghostbusters and the Oceans franchise (both directed by straight white men, incidentally).

Had Bridesmaids not made a shit ton of money it's not like the studios would be remaking these movies out of the goodness of their hearts.

Sorry for dragging this further off topic. These days I'm generally more knowledgable about the industry than I am trade value of spare parts.

But sell baby sell! We ain't makin the playoffs.

Reactions: jaster

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I'm struggling to understand fan expectations here. I had thought the general tenor before this season was, "better than last year, possibly a bubble team". But there's a lot of chatter as if the roster is a total disaster because we're not locked into a playoff spot.

Underwhelming? Yes.
Frustrating? Sure.
Outright failure? C'mon now.
IMO it's not "fans" who are chirping. It's the "spreadsheet Statis Pro Hockey mafia", as I refer to them in my teensy little pointy head.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad