Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I feel like the big money chips this time around are Perron, Kubalik, and Maata. They're all good depth players who could become insanely cheap with retention, so even the most cap-strapped contender could potentially afford to add. So you charge for the talent, of course, but the real money is in charging for the retention.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not making the playoffs and being a bottom 10 team means we need to sell again.

Not scorched earth but we still need future assets..

Move the following:
Bert
Maata
Perron

Keep:
Kubalik
I'll bet that Perron doesn't get traded. He took a discount deal, and he's got a year left.

Sunny and Erne will get traded though they won't return much. Walman too if they can't agree to an extension.

If a team suffers a goalie injury, that can open up a trade for Hellberg or Ned. Ned already cleared waivers so he can be stashed in the AHL until needed. They are obviously 3rd stringers, but teams like some insurance if there's an injury.

Suter, Hagg, and Oesterle will fetch 6th or 7th rounders at best. Doubt any playoff teams are looking for warm bodies, but then again Merrill, Stecher and Nemeth were traded so you never know.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
-Maatta is a lock to be traded, unless we are keeping him on deal as a 20 minute solid defender who you know exactly what he gives you, is exactly what any team in the league would want come playoff time.

-Bertuzzi will be traded IF he is healthy enough to be traded as I can't see Steve locking him up with yet more injuries.

-Sundqvist is very likely guaranteed to be dealt, again unless we are keeping him as he plays playoff hockey and lots of teams will want him.

-Erne gets dealt maybe if some team is desperate enough.

-Oesterle only IF IF IF some team loses a bunch of D and just need a warm body.

-Suter I think stays both on lack of interest and we still need warm bodies to play the last 20 games.

-Lindstrom stays on lack of interest.

-Ned stays and even if dealt it would be conditional 7th so nothing.

-Zadina will be a regular for us after the deadline and if dealt I think would be an offseason move.

I think a guy like Perron could fetch some decent value, a team like Toronto may want to add playoff experience. A late 1st or a decent prospect wouldn't surprise me.

Him having a contract next year means he isn't even being shopped unless a team called and made way too good an offer, which is of course not happening.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think the ones that are most likely to be dealt are Erne, Suter, Sundqvist and Maatta.

There's a good chance that Bertuzzi signs a contract similar to Mangiapane at 3 years at 5.8M or there's a chance that he actually gets traded to CGY, he seems like a Sutter-type of player. It's so hard to figure out his situation.

I think Walman gets extended (5M x 5 years).

I think that next year's D lineup could be :

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Edvinsson - Trevor van Riemsdyk

If Walman got 5 X 5, Yzerman needs to be shot by an actual working CBJ cannon. 2 X 2-2.25 seems fair. He only plays 18-19 minutes a night, not guaranteed he can handle more than that without a Seider on his pair, but if Walman continues to be a top 4 guy, the Wings aren't going to be a very good team.

Maata - Seider
Edvinsson -Hronek
Walman -Chearot

He is not , but in Red Wings organization he is

Not if we want playoff hockey in the near future he is not.

Reactions: lilidk

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
if Walman continues to be a top 4 guy, the Wings aren't going to be a very good team.
Stranger things have happened. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest believer in Walman going into the season, but it's hard to argue against the results. He leads the team in +/-, Seider's season turned around the moment he was partnered with him, his analytics have always been sneaky good, and he passes the eye test.

With a legit #1D like Seider, sometimes the right partner isn't the guy who in a vacuum stands out as the most talented player. To me, Walman is currently playing much like what I'd hope Johansson or Wallinder grow into, who both strike me as good future partners to Mo.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Stranger things have happened. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest believer in Walman going into the season, but it's hard to argue against the results. He leads the team in +/-, Seider's season turned around the moment he was partnered with him, his analytics have always been sneaky good, and he passes the eye test.

With a legit #1D like Seider, sometimes the right partner isn't the guy who in a vacuum stands out as the most talented player. To me, Walman is currently playing much like what I'd hope Johansson or Wallinder grow into, who both strike me as good future partners to Mo.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, he has played great, but I also think this is as good as he will be. I think on a contender you will want him no higher than 3-5. Walman will drop down the depth chart if we ever acquire a really good D crew. He is still only playing 18-20 minutes a night, which isn't that many.

Reactions: Reddwit
Oct 18, 2006
I didn't know how much he's worth, so the best way is to propose a number and see the reaction. I now know!
I suggested 4x4 about a month ago. I honestly don’t see how he’s too far off that. Maybe 2x4 in case this season really is just a flash in the pan, but I don’t think so.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, don't get me wrong, he has played great, but I also think this is as good as he will be. I think on a contender you will want him no higher than 3-5. Walman will drop down the depth chart if we ever acquire a really good D crew. He is still only playing 18-20 minutes a night, which isn't that many.
18-20 minutes (closer to 21 lately) is solid icetime for a guy who isn't the #1PP or PK option. I don't see Walman as a long-term (5+ years) option, but for the next 2-3 years? Fully possible.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I mean outside of the actual talent and ability of Walman entirely in a silo and context. He could be a Top 4 Guy because he and whomever he’s paired with make each other better and complement one another. Chemistry and context does matter regardless of how much we looks towards analytics. It’s not necessarily as easy as a hard quantifiable number and saying one is better than the other.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Chemistry and context does matter regardless of how much we looks towards analytics. It’s not necessarily as easy as a hard quantifiable number and saying one is better than the other.
Excuse me? This is an internet message board. Don't you throw your "context" and actual OBSERVATIONS at me. Around here we jump to rapid conclusions using small sample sizes of purely 1's and 0's...

... AND THAT'S THE WAY I LIKES IT! :laugh:

387.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TheOctopusKid

appiepi

Nov 17, 2021
Perron was likely signing with us thinking we would be a playoff team, which we are not. I think Stevey asks Perron if he wants to be traded. 2 playoff runs of Perron (with retention) could probably fetch a late 1st.

Kubalik on the otherhand probably also gets asked if he wants to be traded. However, he was probably attracted to the role/opportunity he would get in Detroit with aims at getting a bigger payday. He would be less likely to be open to be traded.

Regardless, I dont think either of them play into our long-term (or short-term) plans. I really think it would be up to the players if they want to be traded as Stevie doesnt want to get a bad rep with free agents, unless he got an offer he couldnt resist.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
A nice comparable for Walman is Brandon Montour IMO.
Similiar style and strengths and weaknesses. And while they can play up in the depth chart, both aren’t looked at as ‘top end’ pedigree guys.

Montour recently signed a multi year deal worth 3.5M/year (As a UFA). And he had a much longer track record at the NHL level then Walman.
So I would assume Walman will be somewhere below that number.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Just curious if anyone in the media has reached out to Larkin or his reps about the possibility of waiving his NTC if Yzerman found a deal he loved? Have we heard anything leaning one way or the other about this?

I get the argument of not waiving it, but I see a big upside for Larkin if he went to the right situation. This is his best and possibly last opportunity for a big payday, if the Wings are locked in at 8.5, and most the league sees him as that level of player, going somewhere that allows you to prove you can be more(i.e, top linemates, big time playoff success) would allow for Larkin to get a number much higher than 8.5. Sort of a betting on yourself thing.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Just curious if anyone in the media has reached out to Larkin or his reps about the possibility of waiving his NTC if Yzerman found a deal he loved? Have we heard anything leaning one way or the other about this?

I get the argument of not waiving it, but I see a big upside for Larkin if he went to the right situation. This is his best and possibly last opportunity for a big payday, if the Wings are locked in at 8.5, and most the league sees him as that level of player, going somewhere that allows you to prove you can be more(i.e, top linemates, big time playoff success) would allow for Larkin to get a number much higher than 8.5. Sort of a betting on yourself thing.

Buccigross says the Wings are offering 8x8 but Larkin wants $9M. Kaplan says the Wings and Larkin are "very far apart" but Yzerman's sticking to his terms. Kaplan also says Larkin won't waive his NTC but I doubt that's the case.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Not making the playoffs and being a bottom 10 team means we need to sell again.

Not scorched earth but we still need future assets..

Move the following:
Bert
Maata
Perron

Keep:
Kubalik

Id be willing to wheel all four out. Id throw Erne on there as well.

Perron - retain 50%, get a first based on playoff duration. lock in atleast a 2nd rounder and conditional 3rd in another year if we dont get the first round condition.

Maata - anything that isnt a player coming back unless its a kid with potential that needs a chance of scenery who can skate.

Kubalik - wheel it for whatever.

Bert - thanks for everything but you're injuries are only going to get worse. get whatever. let teams talk about extensions if it helps get more back.

then you weaponize the cap, be a 3rd team in another deal. take on more assets.

this season had so much potential just couldnt stay healthy and stay focused.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Buccigross says the Wings are offering 8x8 but Larkin wants $9M. Kaplan says the Wings and Larkin are "very far apart" but Yzerman's sticking to his terms. Kaplan also says Larkin won't waive his NTC but I doubt that's the case.

Buccigross is an announcer not an NHL insider, The guy knows nothing. And how would Emily Kaplan know if Larkin would waive or not? She's just a commentator she doesn't know from a hill of beans what Larkin would do. This all smells like total BS.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I mean it’s very clear to me both Buccigross and Kaplan are talking to Larkin’s agent.
As secretive as Yzerman is, I'm sure he appreciates Pat Brisson blabbing about Larkins contract status. And most of our insiders who would know more than that. have said that the two sides aren't that far apart. honestly $1,000,000 difference isn't really all that far apart. If it were more like $2,000,000 or $3,000,000 then i would be more worried.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the season that Yzerman goes fully scorched earth and gets rid of the last of the Holland-era players. He tried to load up the roster and we're likely to end up just as bad as last year.

Larkin for a first, second, and a good C prospect.
Bertuzzi for a low first.
Spare parts for second\third\fourth round picks.
Zadina for a 4th.

That'll be enough to sink the team into a top-5 pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the season that Yzerman goes fully scorched earth and gets rid of the last of the Holland-era players.

That's not what Yzerman is gonna do.

Yzerman is building a hockey team. He could care less about being bad. He'll keep the good guys and trade the irrelevant guys, and will bolster the team next summer again. He will repeat this every year, until we are a playoff team. And then he will improve it again - year after year- until we are a contender - and he will keep improving - until we win the Cup.

That the story of Steve Yzerman as a builder.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the season that Yzerman goes fully scorched earth and gets rid of the last of the Holland-era players. He tried to load up the roster and we're likely to end up just as bad as last year.

Larkin for a first, second, and a good C prospect.
Bertuzzi for a low first.
Spare parts for second\third\fourth round picks.
Zadina for a 4th.

That'll be enough to sink the team into a top-5 pick.

I would be f***ing gobsmacked if he did that.

He’s not chasing a top 5 pick. That’s not what Yzerman has ever done

Reactions: kliq and SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad