Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think the organization tipped their hand on Sundqvist this week. Doesn’t seem like he is in the plans.

Even if he isn’t traded, I would be shocked if we have any interest in extending him.

He is 28 years old and the team just healthy scratched him because it was a back to back. He only played 11 minutes in the first game and had 10 days off after the second game.

They then doubled down after the game and said they don’t intend to use him in any back to backs going forward. Sounds like he will be rotating in and out as a healthy scratch rest of the way, unless there are injuries.

Either they are sending him a message bc they think he is out of shape. Or they just don’t think he is good enough to be an every day player (on a mediocre team). Both are red flags for an extension.

(Sorry Ogeee…. *ducks*)
I totally missed that Sunny was a healthy scratch the last game. That does seem like sending a message. And I have always wondered a bit about his fitness. It looks like Sunny is carrying some extra pounds.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The off-season will be a different story, but for playoff teams looking to add at the deadline?

If it's a fair trade with picks, or possibly prospects, coming back.....

Bertuzzi
Suter
Sundqvist
Kubalik
Erne
Maatta
Oesterle

If it's a hockey trade meant to upgrade our roster for the future (otherwise you hold these guys).....

Rasmussen
Berggren
Veleno
Zadina
Hronek
Lindstrom

Very likely not going anywhere.....

Copp - contract is prohibitive + lack of center depth
Vrana - likely no value
Perron - contract slightly prohibitive + possibly worth more to Detroit than others
Fabbri - contract/health combo somewhat prohibitive
Chiarot - contract is very prohibitive
Walman - unlikely he's worth more to others than to Detroit at this moment
Haag - likely no value
Ned - likely no value
Hellberg - likely no value

Not going anywhere.....

Larkin
Raymond
Seider
Husso

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'm going to rank them in order of likely trade value:

Maatta - Top 4 capable, defensive defenseman. Always in demand.
Bertuzzi - Wildcard. Could be great as a rental. Could be what he's been all year. High risk/high reward for the renter.
Zadina - I don't want to trade him now. His value is the lowest it can possibly be, but he's a cost controlled warm body that we'll need if we move a few of these guys and he might decide to figure out his funk.
Sundqvist - If we don't get a decent 2nd, keep him
Erne - trade for whatever to whoever needs a banger
Suter - trade for whatever to whoever that needs a spare center
Ned - trade for whatever to whoever wants a backup to their backup
Lindstrom - trade for whatever to whoever needs RHD
Oesterle - trade to whatever to whoever needs a warm body
Hagg - No one would claim him if waived IMO
honestly, at this point, will his value ever be bigger than it is right now? Doesn't seem like it.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
We know there are several teams openly looking for defense: PIT, EDM, TOR all immediately come to mind. WAS depending on Carlson and his health, LAK, and even someone like TBL.

There's some big fish adds on the blue line this year (Klingberg, Chychrun, Dumba), but none of those dudes will be easy to get under the cap, or be cheap to acquire, making our collection of more reasonable Defensive Depth Adds, potentially enticing. Guys like Walman, Oseterle, Oli could all fit nicely in the Bottom 4 for a lot of these teams, and even adding in someone like Lindstrom for a LAK or TBL as a Jensen-level, low cost low impact 6th D could make a lot of sense.

Think there's a lot of juice in this group to grab some mid-rd picks out of this group while clearing some space for Ed, maybe Albert Johansson, Sebrango, Viro?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yes. Who besides Seider and Raymond on the big club are irreplaceable? Because those two are the only ones I see as fitting that. One might caterwaul about Larkin being irreplaceable but he’s not. The only player that is currently giving me pause is Hronek but there are questions if this year is a fluke. Other than that the team is full of spare parts and broken players.

And teams are going to pay for you spare parts and broken players because….?

The Wings have guys like Walman, Maatta and Sundqvist that may draw interest as warm bodies.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
He figures his shit out and is 20/20 next year. At $1.8M for 2 more years? That's worth quite a bit.
He hasn't figured it out in the past 2 or 3 years. Doubt he finds it in the next two since he hasn't shown any promise at all unless he is in GR

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
We know there are several teams openly looking for defense: PIT, EDM, TOR all immediately come to mind. WAS depending on Carlson and his health, LAK, and even someone like TBL.

There's some big fish adds on the blue line this year (Klingberg, Chychrun, Dumba), but none of those dudes will be easy to get under the cap, or be cheap to acquire, making our collection of more reasonable Defensive Depth Adds, potentially enticing. Guys like Walman, Oseterle, Oli could all fit nicely in the Bottom 4 for a lot of these teams, and even adding in someone like Lindstrom for a LAK or TBL as a Jensen-level, low cost low impact 6th D could make a lot of sense.

Think there's a lot of juice in this group to grab some mid-rd picks out of this group while clearing some space for Ed, maybe Albert Johansson, Sebrango, Viro?

You view Lindstrom as an "impact" 6th D? He's a trainwreck in his own zone and contributes zero offense. Can't see a contender having a roster spot for him, be surprised if he's still in the NHL next year tbh

Reactions: 14ari13

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You view Lindstrom as an "impact" 6th D? He's a trainwreck in his own zone and contributes zero offense. Can't see a contender having a roster spot for him, be surprised if he's still in the NHL next year tbh
He's still 2 years younger than Jensen was when he broke into the league.

I don't get this urgency to completely write someone off as useless.

Reactions: SirloinUB

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't see a contender interested in Lindstrom, simply due to his lack of experience. It's the Maattas and Oesterles that will have interest. I could see him being a piece in a trade involving other players though. And yeah, no need to write him off. He's had trouble carving out a spot, but he's young and cost-controlled. Good depth piece for a rebuilding team.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think the ones that are most likely to be dealt are Erne, Suter, Sundqvist and Maatta.

There's a good chance that Bertuzzi signs a contract similar to Mangiapane at 3 years at 5.8M or there's a chance that he actually gets traded to CGY, he seems like a Sutter-type of player. It's so hard to figure out his situation.

I think Walman gets extended (5M x 5 years).

I think that next year's D lineup could be :

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Edvinsson - Trevor van Riemsdyk
Walk me through the thought process where a 27 year old who has been an NHL regular for all of 1 season and puts up 20-25 points is worth $5M over half a decade.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Walk me through the thought process where a 27 year old who has been an NHL regular for all of 1 season and puts up 20-25 points is worth $5M over half a decade.
As I said in my last post - I wasn't totally sure what his value was and now I know that he isn't worth 5M by most accounts.

I can see Walman's contract being comparable to Weegar's last contract (not his extension) of 3.25M x 3 years.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

I think he's young, and is "good enough", a lot like how I viewed Jensen. He's not physical, but he doesn't shy from contact. He's not fast, but he not a pylon, he plays positionally-focused D (inconsistently), and he is a 10pt a season kind of contributor. "Low impact" hockey. Basically Jensen when we shipped him out for a 2nd in return for 5th. Jensen now plays Top 4 for the Caps not because he's amazing, it's because he's cheap and low maintenance, which is what a lot of these teams need to find who are hard up on the cap.

He's struggled to find his footing this year, but I think that could be said of all of our D core, but I wouldn't say he looked any worse than Jensen did in some of his time here. Additionally, he had a fair enough season last year under worse conditions. The Jensen comp is more like a very small trade, where a team that hard up against the cap and wants to add in a guy, much like the Caps did when they were very thin on D, and ends up signing Jensen to like a six year deal for like 1.5M AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese