Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Weiss 5 yrs 4.9m/yr (Conf Post #197 & #1 Updated))

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Yes, he is a good player. Is he 1st line center material? no. But is he a good second line center? yes. He is a legit number 2 center and he can produce. Lets no forget he has spent his entire career playing on terrible teams. People saying he is bad are wrong. He's not Crosby, but he is a more bonafide 2nd line center then dil.

slapshots1515

Feb 14, 2010
Ann Arbor
I'm totally trying to be objective on Weiss, but I still have the nostalgia/hometown thing for him from his days as a Plymouth Whaler.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Weiss is a lot better than Flip. Florida has been mostly terrible since he's been there, look at what they've done to talent over the years. He's worth a shot at a reasonable term and cost.

We have a good track record of getting guys from horrible to defensive focused teams that improve quite a bit in Detroit. Mostly d-men in Schneider and Rafalski but I can see Weiss doing quite well in Detroit. It would also allow Babs to keep Pavs and Z together. Our power play should definitely improve.

crashman

Has to have been a Detroit offer if it was awhile ago.

$4.75m is fair if they believe he's the player he was in 2011-2012 (which I do), but if he turned that down, I think he needs to be let go.

I really like Filppula, but he can't expect anything more than that. It will be tough to watch him play for a team like CBJ if that happens, they just gross me out.

RedWingsNow*

Like Alfredsson, his point totals are a product of first PP unit time.

He's nothing special at all at even strength

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Bear in mind that despite past performance in a weaker market team, it will be very difficult to project Weiss impact in the Red Wings system. He may find that the Wings style of play may be far more natural of a fit for his skill set than Florida's and end up playing at a overall much higher level with less total responsibility than what was asked of him on the Panthers. Structuring his role will be important and finding the correct set of wingers for him to play with will be important come camp time.

What pleases me overall about Weiss is that despite is all, he has a very direct mentality in terms of taking advantage of a clear shooting opportunity with what appears to be a deceptively accurate snap shot and doesn't make an unnecessary pass when presented with a clear lane. Additionally, he has always been a very defensively responsible. Not a bad signing at all.

We know what we have with Filp, an inconsistent, very talented, speedy two way forward. Weiss is less physically gifted, but brings a more aggressive scoring mentality, a strong work effort on the ice, and true two-way style of play - with the potential to be more than that when he gets into Detroit...

Seems like a net win to me

RedWingsNow*

Weiss is a lot better than Flip. Florida has been mostly terrible since he's been there, look at what they've done to talent over the years. He's worth a shot at a reasonable term and cost.

Flip is better than Weiss.

Terrible teams allow mediocre players like Weiss to play the kind of roles that Flip never gets a shot at.

RedWingsNow*

Ah well -- another season of sliding toward mediocrity

FLip >>> Weiss
Brunner >>> Alfredsson

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Flip is better than Weiss.

Terrible teams allow mediocre players like Weiss to play the kind of roles that Flip never gets a shot at.

No he isn't. Fil is much more physically gifted, I agree. But Weiss has put up comparable numbers and woeful Florida teams and much, much less inconsistent.

Fil is a good playmaker and good two-way forward, and it sucks he's leaving but Weiss has a much better on-ice mentality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad