Wings sign MSU’s Taro Hirose

Oct 18, 2006
This is all a bit crazy.

Excited to see him and intrigued if he can amount to anything .

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Love this. I just remember hearing the name over and over at the prospects tournament last year and I was impressed. Pretty cool how things come full circle here and we sign him. I think he's an NHL player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Both Hirose and Kuffner are Larkin's age class. Less than month age difference.

Just try them like this:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Hirose - Nielsen - Zadina
Vanek - AA - Kuffner
Kader - Helm - Glendy

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Both Hirose and Kuffner are Larkin's age class. Less than month age difference.

Just try them like this:

Hirose - Nielsen - Zadina
Vanek - AA - Kuffner
Kader - Helm - Glendy
Zadina will be gone by the time they start to play in a couple games

Reactions: Ezekial

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
When Larkin gets back:
Hirose - Athanasiou - Helm
Vanek - Nielsen - Rasmussen
Kuffner - Glendening - Abdelkader

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Next year is looking fun, going to be good competition. Kids vs. kids instead of kids vs. vets.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I follow college hockey pretty closely and I've learned to curb my enthusiasm re: college free agents.

I'm sensing Bobby Butler 2.0 (at best) with this signing. I hope I'm wrong, but there aren't many guys in the NCAA that make it past NHL scouts and become meaningful players in the show.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I follow college hockey pretty closely and I've learned to curb my enthusiasm re: college free agents.

I'm sensing Bobby Butler 2.0 (at best) with this signing. I hope I'm wrong, but there aren't many guys in the NCAA that make it past NHL scouts and become meaningful players in the show.

I think the fact he is a playmaker should help him a little in my opinion. I am higher on this one that the other one for that reason too. It says something about his vision and hands and I think it will hopefully translate. Time will tell but I like the high hockey IQ players from college. Often the big shot guys (I thought that was Butler's strength) do find out the goalies are just too good at the NHL level for them. But the shooters exist there, so the playmaker for me has better odds because most UFA college guys do have some significant flaws.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think the fact he is a playmaker should help him a little in my opinion. I am higher on this one that the other one for that reason too. It says something about his vision and hands and I think it will hopefully translate. Time will tell but I like the high hockey IQ players from college. Often the big shot guys (I thought that was Butler's strength) do find out the goalies are just too good at the NHL level for them. But the shooters exist there, so the playmaker for me has better odds because most UFA college guys do have some significant flaws.
If he can end up being a player who can put up 30 points on the 3rd line and be decent in his own end that's a massive win. If he busts then oh well, we lose nothing.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
It'd be awesome if the Wings could have gotten Troy Loggins from NMU. Not only because it'd be a homer signing for me..but he's pretty damn good.

Reactions: Yooper906

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I didn't specify, but the comparison to Butler was more about ability to stay in the NHL than style of play. I'd actually be surprised if Hirose sees as much NHL action as Butler, but we may be pleasantly surprised.

I know he'll rep MSU better than Abby:thumbu:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Assigning both directly to the NHL is one of the most pro-tank things I’ve seen this franchise do to date (no disrespect to these kids).
In one sense, you're right.

In another sense, if you're already losing every game what difference does this make?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
In one sense, you're right.

In another sense, if you're already losing every game what difference does this make?

Well I heard during the Wings game that if they both play this year they automatically burn a year of their entry deal. They will both be RFAs then at the end of next season. So yah it does make a difference.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If he can end up being a player who can put up 30 points on the 3rd line and be decent in his own end that's a massive win. If he busts then oh well, we lose nothing.

One way or another you need players for GR at the end of the day. Your options for acquiring those guys are signing: (i) AHL vets, (ii) CHL free agents, (iii) NCAA free agents or (iv) undrafted Euros. (i) you know will never be able to contribute long-term in the NHL, (ii) most often is not physically ready for the AHL at 20, (iv) is a tough sell without any semblance of a big-club guarantee. Only (iii) provides any real possibility (albeit remote) of making any contribution at the NHL level apart from your drafted prospects.

As far as undrafted NCAA kids go, Hirose is a really nice get in terms of comparative skill. That does not guarantee him NHL success, but in terms of what all was out there in the undrafted NCAA pool, he is towards the top.

Oh, and lets face it, our forward prospect pool outside of the NHL is looking pretty ugly at the moment. He certainly isn't taking any spots from meaningful prospects.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well I heard during the Wings game that if they both play this year they automatically burn a year of their entry deal. They will both be RFAs then at the end of next season. So yah it does make a difference.

Any significant college UFA wants to play in the NHL immediately, and teams have to offer that up to win the contract. Lots of examples of guys signing, and burning the 1st year of the deal on a handful of games.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It makes a difference on their deals. It doesn't make a difference in the team's end results.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Low risk, high reward. Weren't a bunch of teams trying to get this guy?

Some of the Twitter responses are ridiculous. What possibly do we have to lose in bringing them up and giving them a shot? These potentially extraordinary signings.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I feel like I remember good things about Hirose from development camp or the prospects tourney this year. I would try giving him some minutes similar to Zadina got at first. 3rd line plus a little PP.

I dont get excited about NCAA signings really but this guy could maybe be a Tyler Ennis type of player. Third lline and 40-50 points would be some nice depth, we'll see what happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad