Wings sign MSU’s Taro Hirose

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think someone said Hirose>>>Kuffner, by their one game it seemed obvious. He's got amazing skill, looks like an NHL player already. I hope he'll tear up the pros and helps the Wings maybe even next season.
Kuffner isn't expected to ever be more than a bottom 6 player as far as I know. He's the safer bet with a lower ceiling while Hirose is more boom or bust. Hirose is definitely the higher skill player.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Kid looks solid so far. High IQ on display with smart passes and zone entries. Backchecks well enough and has a sense of the defencive side of the game. Skates good.

I like him. Hope he keeps it up and has a solid summer.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He looks like Hudler out there

Weird. In the game thread for last night, I said he reminded me of someone but just couldn’t put my finger on it but said it might be Hudler if Hudler could actually skate. Looks like that’s a common impression around here.

That’d be a massive win for Detroit.

Reactions: Henkka

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Looks like they signed Worker (Kuffner), Playmaker (Hirose) and Sniper (Loggins).

Kuffner has a better shot than Loggins, he just has NHL level skating and size to make it as a bottom six guy as well.

I think Loggins is a Grand Rapids player and hence no NHL level contract. We shall see, Hirose is really the guy I like best to make an impact.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Promising start, next year will be the real test. Get a summer of training in the weight room and learn to adjust once there is game tape on him, like his poise and vision so far.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
That was a great play to send AA on a breakaway.

First time I have seen Hirose play so I can't say much but I do like what I have seen tonight. I couldn't imagine he won't be an NHL player walking into this league and making the decisions he does with and without the puck.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He might not be fast but I haven't noticed a lack of speed as an issue. Which is fine with me. He's a cerebral playmaker. Don't need him to be zooming around like AA.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How's his shot compared to Vanek? He reminds me a lot of Vanek.
Seems to shoot to set up for a rebound more than score. Low wristers to far side. I doubt he has (prime) Vanek's scoring skills, but we're only 4 games in...

I don't think I've seen a slapper yet.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He might not be fast but I haven't noticed a lack of speed as an issue. Which is fine with me. He's a cerebral playmaker. Don't need him to be zooming around like AA.

He isn't overly fast, but he plays and processes the game very fast which is important. He does not need to have the puck on his stick for a long time to make effective plays. I think he has a pretty good head for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->