Wings sign MSU’s Taro Hirose

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by lhsgolf19, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mlotek

Mlotek Registered User

Professional Failure
    The team would be better without him. He wasn't even trying for the first half of the season.

Ehn was at least solid defensively, which can't be said for Abbie.

That was literally the reason why Ehn made the squad. It is also the reason Turgeon had his previous callups, because he was considered the best defensive forward in GR.

Blashill knows he won't give more than 8 minutes to any GR callup and thus prefers defensive forwards instead of someone with offensive upside.

Blash loves to keep young players on a tight leash and pull back hard. Perfect example in AA during the Lightning series. Only player to generate offensive chances during game, is rewarded with being benched for the third period.

hkydave04 likes this.
  2. Mlotek

Mlotek Registered User

Professional Failure
    Agreed, you should never give developing players ice-time in meaningless games. Gotta wait until playoffs, than you can completely bench them in favour of the veterans.

Blashill's track-record with team USA at World Championships isn't exactly impressive. His team does great in round robin, than **** the bed when it counts.

3. ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ Registered User

IMO, it seems like Abdelkader's issues are somewhere between his ears like his head's not completely in the game and/or he's trying to play too safe.

Let me preface this with the following: Should we expect him to completely live up to the long term and $4M+ AAV in his contract? Absolutely not. But could he be better/more useful than he's been in recent seasons? I would think so.

Might just be speculation and I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy, but I wonder how these factors play into Abdelkader's play the past couple of season:

Distractions/Offseason prep: In summer 2017, he got married and was also involved in Brendan Smith's wedding, possibly others. If you recall, Brendan Smith's being out of shape/disengaged for Rangers camp later that summer was blamed on his own wedding, and the myriad of others he attended. Could this have also affected Abdelkader? He then had his first kid late last summer, which delayed his arrival to training camp and no doubt occupied his attention for a bit.

The NHL's crackdown on slashing calls: Abdelkader has always been a more physical player, even sometimes to his own detriment. However, to me this past season he looked way less engaged physically. I'm surprised to see that he had more hits than the previous season, but his penalty minutes were over 50% lower, which seems to come from half as many fights (2 vs. 4) and a lot less of those of scrum related offsetting roughing minors. Since Abdelkader seemed to be a regular victim of the slashing crackdown in the early going of the past two seasons, is it possible that he went safe and dialed back some of the sandpaper in his game to negate some of those impulsive minor slashes?

It's like the guy's completely on the wrong path and lost. Maybe he's softening up his game to try to live up to his contract and the teams advertising of him as some key cog, and be the kind of player he was never going to in the first place? Or maybe it's the coaching staff that can't let go of thinking he's going to become the next Tomas Holmstrom?

While he's basically stuck on the team, both he and the coaching staff need to hit the reset button. Stop worrying about trying get him to drive offense, be a deflection board for more talented forwards or screen on the PP, and try to resurrect the grit and 2-way elements that have been disappearing from his game. Put him in the line-up as a 11-13 minute bottom 6/pk wing and get him to focus on fore/back checking, create some turnovers for more talented linemates (on the 3rd/4th line), grinding the oppositions D, and even fighting. And yes, I know Abdelkader is a terrible fighter, but that can still be effective. If he ticks off a better opposing player enough for them to agree to use him as a punching bag, that better player is absent from the ice for at least 5 minutes (as well as Abdelkader himself :laugh:).

4. Gniwder

Gniwder Registered User

It's looking more and more like Hirose isn't physically capable of playing in the league. Opponents are literally just running over him,

He got bumped down to PP2 last game and nobody passed to him even when he was wide open. Looks like he's lost his teammates' confidence. Also, he looks horrible on 5 on 3's since he won't go anywhere near the crease. He turns every 5 on 3 into a 4 on 3.

Hirose has been pretty much useless with AA struggling, they haven't even been on the same line in a while. Probably should get sent down to GR with a case of steroids

5. Voodoo Glow Skulls

Voodoo Glow Skulls Formerly Vatican Roulette Sponsor

I don't agree with all of it, but he should be considered into the GR rotation. He might need some AHL development.

RedMenace likes this.
  6. 2xJack

2xJack Registered User

I do not agree that sending Hirose to GR is going to help him. The big issue for him is his size. Five feet ten inches (generously) is quite small in a league that averages six foot one. The bigger issue is his lack of muscle, though. Martin St. Louis had a hall of fame career at 5'8" but he outweighed Hirose by 30 pounds. A ton of that is below the waist. Theoren Fluerry was even shorter at 5'6" but even he outweighed Hirose by 20 pounds. Ciccarelli made a living playing in the most physical area of the ice and he was only Hirose height but also 20 pounds heavier. I think even at 180 pounds Dino would have a difficult time staying in the crease with the monsters playing on the blue line in today's game.

If Hirose is going to make it as a long term NHL player he's going to have to bulk up, especially in his legs. He's going to need more stability and explosiveness without sacrificing much top end speed. Can he do it? I don't know. What I do know is that his best chance of it is staying in Detroit and working with the training staff daily. He needs to take a page out of the Chelios and Jagr book and live in the team fitness center. I don't doubt he's got the talent. It is a question of drive and putting on a lot of muscle. Maybe he doesn't have the genetics for that much muscle mass on his frame, not everyone does.

ETTHAKING67 likes this.
  7. Gniwder

Gniwder Registered User

I'm sure that GR has a training staff, there's no point in chewing up a roster spot so he can work out with the team.

8. 2xJack

2xJack Registered User

And I'm equally as sure that the training staff and nutritionist in GR are inferior to what's available in Detroit. There's also the fact that travel is a lot harder in the AHL and that can impact a workout routine.

I don't know, though. Hirose had all summer to bulk up and I don't see any improvement. It is much more difficult to pull off that kind of training during the season. That's why I think this may be a matter of genetics.

9. VelenoLikeAFeleno

VelenoLikeAFeleno Registered User

I noted last season that Hirose's stats were fools gold.
    A bunch of mid-ice assists on ridiculous individual efforts.

10. tsweeney

tsweeney Registered User

:stanley:

Here's your Stanley Cup for being right. I know you've been holding it in and it's been really rough to not say I told you so...

BSHH likes this.
  11. Hen Kolland

Hen Kolland Registered User

Financial Analyst
    ...Since last night

12. VelenoLikeAFeleno

WOOOOO....
    We won the cup boys!!!1

13. tsweeney

tsweeney Registered User

I didn't think I needed to clarify that I was being sarcastic.

14. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    You weren't the only one who called it.

VelenoLikeAFeleno likes this.
  15. VelenoLikeAFeleno

Too late. Already celebrated.

ETTHAKING67 likes this.
  16. Gniwder

Gniwder Registered User

Looked a lot better in his return, first goal of the season, and he actually won a puck battle along the board.

Seemed a lot more engaged, I'm sure he knows this NHL stint is on the line now with Fabbri now on the second line.

Gotta say, the kid's got heart, but he needs to gain 15 - 20 lbs.

RedMenace likes this.