Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Looking forward to improving on our regular season win record only to get swept in the first round!

Sorry, had to make the bad joke, I'm excited too.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Wow, I'm so excited. I really can't wait for the moves the next 2/3 years. Finally something for the fans. Finally!

The return of the captain!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What a beautiful thing to wake up to. Holland has been doing a good job the past couple years to kick-start a rebuild, but Yzerman has proven that he can and will make big trades and come out on top.

Yes and win a Stanley Cup with a stacked team he built from the ground up. I’m just wondering how much the tax difference was an advantage for him.

He made some good moves, but also some very bad ones.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Such a great feeling, like a family reunion.

As far as moves, honestly, my biggest expectations are saying goodbye to shitty loyalty contracts and actual roster turnover other than old guys retiring and rookies coming in.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Even Holland knew it was time to make this happen.
I'm glad they all seem happy and on the same page.

Kenny is and always will be a legend.

He had a bit of a rough decade here, but I really think he was adapting and turning the corner with this rebuild. I wouldn't be surprised to see him find success elswhelse. After watching Vegas, I'm sure he would find a lot of fun building the Seattle franchise.

I'm glad to hear they didn't just pull the rug from under him.

Honestly watching this press conference is going to be bittersweet as hell.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
It's only tampering if Tampa Bay didn't allow it. Given he had resigned and was just an adviser - it's highly likely that TB knew his desire to go home and respected him enough to get out of his way and allow it.

TB likely knew for years that Yzerman was looking to move back home to be close to his family - hence they forced the decision as to not lose his assistant GM if he was not long for their job. IIRC Yzerman only had one year remaining, and could have forced them to fire him or stayed on there and saw the then highly thought of assistant GM leave.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kenny is and always will be a legend.

He had a bit of a rough decade here, but I really think he was adapting and turning the corner with this rebuild. I wouldn't be surprised to see him find success elswhelse. After watching Vegas, I'm sure he would find a lot of fun building the Seattle franchise.

Yes. Ken Holland has won it all in many different ways. Drafting+Development at 90's, then that magical re-toolin 2002. And under cap at 2008. Different eras, different style of building, different kind of Cups.

And he also did this drag down work on his own, we didn't need a "bad guy" GM to do that.

Only interesting challenge for me after that kind of long history would be building a expansion team from scratch.

And I hope Kenny will get that duty. Edmonton would be another major, maybe even tougher challenge, but on that age, I wouldn't take that, if Seattle is available. You can show you skill and smarts as GM faster. I have no doubts that Kenny will create Seattle as good and as fast as McPhee did for Vegas.

I'm a fan of Holland work, and I somehow hate Vancouver. Easy to have a second favourite from west when Seattle comes. :naughty:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
cool

it was pretty obvious it was going to happen eventually but I honestly thought he wouldn't be GM till after Holland's contract ended with maybe only an advisory role till then

the offseason just got a lot more interesting with all the cap space

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
This is just awesome. Holland had earned back some trust, but it feels nice really believing in our GM again. Still Stevie Y learned from Holland and KH is sticking around so I'd expect most things to stay pretty similar. The big question for me is how much our personnel changes. Does Yzerman try to poach Al Murray from Tampa? Or maybe their assistant head of scouting, or do we stick with Tyler Wright and our current crew? I could see it going either way.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
upload_2019-4-19_9-33-54.gif

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

didn't even want to talk to the NYR. what a dumb rumor that was.

Maybe they'll ask to speak with Holland at this point? LOL. Someone mentioned Edmonton. They should also ask to speak with him. Holland will have another oppertunitty if he wants it. I think he's destined for Seattle but right here right now I think the Oil/Rangers could pull some strings to maybe change his mind about that. Ownership is terrible for both teams though, so, might not even be worth talking about/with if you're Holland.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
What a beautiful thing to wake up to. Holland has been doing a good job the past couple years to kick-start a rebuild, but Yzerman has proven that he can and will make big trades and come out on top.
Last I checked, being blown out in the first round is not "on top"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad