GDT: Wings @ Senator -- The Spark Edition. 7pm ET or 4pm PT

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People are railing about Karlsson for most of the latter pages in this thread

I assumed that that was because he turned the puck over or something

Instead I see he had a breakaway in OT and Howard, being a great goalie, made a great save

I did not see the third period but for the first two periods Ottawa was clearly the better team and Detroit tied on the PP in the third: I'm fairly positive Detroit's PP is amongst the best in the league.

So why in the world are people like you pissed off at Karlsson?! Because the team didn't win?
I'm not even mad about his game overall. I've said a few times that he played well. But at 2-2 he gave the puck up twice for breakaways. Which is unacceptable. He knows that. Cameron knows that. His teammates know that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Don't act like you are the only one thst cares about the team. Those looking for change care about the team as much as you or even more.

It's true. Some of us are willing to out ourselves through a tanking season. Does anyone realize how painful that is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You are being dramatic. What's wrong with people getting angry? I think I've seen maybe one over the top comment about Karlsson which was to trade him and the rest were just pointing out the noticeable gaffes he made. If you read every single GDT you will notice gaffes are pointed out by everyone and no player is exempt from it.
Exactly. People are just so insecure and defensive over karlsson.
I was brought up with the idea that the best players should be held to a higher standard than the rest. I will give him all the praise in the world when he earns and plays like one of the best in the game. But when he plays poorly I'm not going to all of a sudden hold him to the standard of a second pairing all offensive d man and take the "well what do you expect" approach. I expect great play from him because he's a great player. And he hasn't brought it for the majority of the season. End of story. I'm not ripping on frigging chiasson for not being a PPG player here.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
I think tonights game will give us an decent indication if the team is serious and will have a surge to the playoffs in the second half, or if they are still struggling to figure themselves out.

Sens are NOT going to make the playoffs. They've been playing at a .500 rate for the season to date, and would need to play at least at a .750 rate for the remaider of the season to get to around 95 points, and have a slim chance with that many points.

So start to watch the prospects who they may select in the Entry Draft, no playoffs this season my friend.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Just watched the replays

Karlsson looked pissed on the bench wow

So why are people pissed at Karlsson when he was on the bench when Nyquist scored in OT?

I don't know. The reality is that cowen isn't a good defensemen and never will be. He kept him to the outside well, then gave up. They need to pull the plug on that guy soon before the league realizes that he isn't just a slow skater, but he is mentally slow and has no trade value.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't know. The reality is that cowen isn't a good defensemen and never will be. He kept him to the outside well, then gave up. They need to pull the plug on that guy soon before the league realizes that he isn't just a slow skater, but he is mentally slow and has no trade value.
I thought he's been one of our more consistent defenders for most of this season. Jumps up in he play well. Does a lot of things well. Yeah he got beat for the winning goal. Players get beat all the time. He's not our number 1 defensman. He's on our second pairing. Which he will excel at.

mrkevo

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Sens are NOT going to make the playoffs. They've been playing at a .500 rate for the season to date, and would need to play at least at a .750 rate for the remaider of the season to get to around 95 points, and have a slim chance with that many points.

So start to watch the prospects who they may select in the Entry Draft, no playoffs this season my friend.

Exactly what I've been saying and everyone gets mad. Even if they do sneak into the playoffs somehow we're not good enough to contend.

Id rather see us get a top 5 pick (Strome, Kylington, Crouse, Werenski) out of the deal and build on that for the next couple seasons, rather then finish .500 and get a middle round pick. These OT losses suck.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The one who should be the most embarrassed on the Nyquist play is MacArthur. It's not enough to just follow a guy all along the boards. Any decent defender would have pinned him long before he had a chance to score the goal.

One saving grace is the Nyquist play took so long it won't make play of the year. No network will devote that much airtime for a single play. ;)

WhiteLight*

I thought Cowen was the worst Senator on the ice last night, at least the worst defenseman, however I definitely disagree with this

If by pulling the plug you mean trading him for a good/great player, then maybe. But getting rid of him no matter what, nope. He's played 185 career games. Still way too early to give up on him. By this time next year, if he's shown no progress, maybe we can start thinking about it. Next year's trade deadline is a good mark, but he'll still only be 25 at that point

Really really young player still that needs reps and time to learn

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The one who should be the most embarrassed on the Nyquist play is MacArthur. It's not enough to just follow a guy all along the boards. Any decent defender would have pinned him long before he had a chance to score the goal.

One saving grace is the Nyquist play took so long it won't make play of the year. No network will devote that much airtime for a single play. ;)

MacArthur kept him to the outside, he did exactly what he was supposed to. Cowen couldn't keep up with him. Also, Ceci decided to throw it across the slot instead of off the board.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
MacArthur kept him to the outside, he did exactly what he was supposed to. Cowen couldn't keep up with him. Also, Ceci decided to throw it across the slot instead of off the board.

It's a fact that Ceci should have cleared the zone but lets get real MacArthur can't just let a guy control the puck that long in his end. It opens up too many options. They weren't on the pk for goodness sakes. How many guys get away with that even up. It's not just about keeping him to the outside which may be ok on the pk but his job was to pin him and fight to get the puck back so they could get a line change. The whole sequence was weak but after the bad Ceci decision it was mostly on MacArthur.

Guess we'll have to disagree on this one.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Despite the soft wrister ending the game, I was really happy with the Sens switches on that play. Mac handing him off to Cowen, Turris made a nice read on that goal against too and picked up his guy. Sure, Cowen gave him a little too much room, it was a great skater using his agility to get away from an average skater - that happens, but it's not like that was prime real estate where the shot came from. I'm sure Andy wants that one back. Meh. That was a game of bounces and missed opportunities. It happens in those 50/50 games.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Blah. Looks like I'm going to lose a bet. I have to wear Red Wings gear for a day if they finish with more points than Ottawa. I'm screwed.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think Cameron for the most part has done a good job.

Wait til Smith and Neil are healthy and back in the lineup.

Cameron caught a huge break with some of the old farts getting hurt right at the beginning of his tenure.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Despite the soft wrister ending the game, I was really happy with the Sens switches on that play. Mac handing him off to Cowen, Turris made a nice read on that goal against too and picked up his guy. Sure, Cowen gave him a little too much room, it was a great skater using his agility to get away from an average skater - that happens, but it's not like that was prime real estate where the shot came from. I'm sure Andy wants that one back. Meh. That was a game of bounces and missed opportunities. It happens in those 50/50 games.

Not sure, but I thought Cowen got a stick on the shot which may have been why Andy wasn't able to track it.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Not sure, but I thought Cowen got a stick on the shot which may have been why Andy wasn't able to track it.

No, don't think Cowen got close to the puck. Andy didn't get it because the puck went off the post and in. Andy didn't have a chance.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Don't act like you are the only one thst cares about the team. Those looking for change care about the team as much as you or even more.

You want to trade away a franchise player, for a freaken locker room cancer. You want to trade a player who can get 70 - 90pts from the back end. A player who can hold our blue line, that can get the puck out of our zone more than anyone we've ever had on this team. You want to trade this player to the Edmonton Oilers, for Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall? WTF are you thinking?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Blah. Looks like I'm going to lose a bet. I have to wear Red Wings gear for a day if they finish with more points than Ottawa. I'm screwed.

Wear the Wings stuff as underwear beneath Sens clothes. You honour the bet and get the last laugh cause you get to sweat and "whatever" all over it.

btw) no deodorant that day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad