Wings Select Lucas Raymond 4th Overall

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
1. Panarin.
2. Upwards of 90 points in the right situation.
3. Next year or the year after. He's currently dominating the SHL so maybe on the quicker side of things.
4. Yes.
5. He plays an excellent two way game with a lot of speed and skill. Dynamic hands and vision with plus speed. Passing on him would have likely been a mistake.

Look beyond his stats last year. He was buried on the deepest team in the SHL and was playing at roughly 170 in a high-level men's league. He's come in much stronger this year and has been able to get into the tougher areas of the ice. He looks fantastic right now.

I think you overrate Raymond.... by a lot. He is a decent player but I would be very happy if he becomes a 70-75 point player.

I’m living in Göteborg and saw all his games last season.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I think you overrate Raymond.... by a lot. He is a decent player but I would be very happy if he becomes a 70-75 point player.

I mean, he’s a top 5 on most rankings. I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t putting up 90+ points in his prime.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

I'm strictly talking about his peak. If he's an annual 90 point player, that is a different story. But 70-80 points for a line driving player is to be expected.

Also, last year was not a great year to see Raymond, he barely played and was needed to gain a lot of strength. I'm feeling just fine with this pick still :)

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I'm thinking he learned from last year where Sieder got leaked.

Probably plays the cards a little closer to his chest now.
It was a Canucks media guy who posted it on twitter. Likely someone from Vancouver's end that blabbed because we had been trying to trade down pretty aggressively.

Reactions: Gniwder

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Another first rounder on a winger.

I'm going to trust Hakan, who has connections to his organization here... but I'm not thrilled with this.
The last 2 weeks or so, however, as I became more sure Perfetti wasn't going to be an NHL center, Raymond did pass him in my ranking...

Ottawa gets Stuetzle and Sanderson.
Center and LD.
What a f***ing haul.
That's what we needed.
I wouldn't look at Stutzle as a guaranteed center at the NHL level. Feels like he could easily end up at the wing. But of course having two top 5 picks you can adress multiple needs.

Ottawa drafts well overall, hence being able to consistently trade away players and replace them with 1st rounders. We draft like shit so we don’t have that luxury.
Ottawa also trades away their good/great players in their prime essentially and have been constantly rebuilding/retooling since 2008.

Reactions: jkutswings

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Raymond reminds me a lot of David Pastrnak when he was in Sweden as a 17-18 year old. Still amazed how he was able to transition to the NHL right away, would expect Raymond to take at least one year.

Reactions: mantha39 and Frk It

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Stevie always seems a little annoyed when HSJ asks a question regardless what she asks! Makes me laugh!

Disappointing to hear Raymond is basically not coming over this year, as Steve said more than likely 21-22.

By the rules laid out for this season, he is unable to make the jump. Having to do with the pandemic, season start dates, and all that logistical stuff.

Any European draft eligible prospect with a contract in place cannot make the jump to the NHL prior to the completion of their season.

Given that the SHL has started and the NHL is targeting January 1, the absolute best case scenario would be Raymond tears up Sweden and we decide to bring him over in like April to get a couple of months in the NHL under his belt. Even then I don’t think I’d count on the Wings putting his body through that much hockey.

To answer your other questions.

He says he plays like a hybrid of Marner and Panarin. I think it’s fairly accurate but he needs to have more of a shooters mentality and be more like Panarin because his shot is under appreciated and under utilized.

With home run development, he’s a franchise player. Has always had superstar, best in draft potential. Meaning that if everything goes right, you’re talking about a point per game or higher offensive output.

The excitement thing is self explanatory. He is the best prospect in the organization by a comfortable margin. His game breaking talent is something we don’t have an abundance of, and he does so in a fashion that should play extremely well off of the skill sets in the organization. We’ve needed the set up man with eyes in the back of his head. Raymond is one of the best you could have hoped for.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
As I said when it started taking off, Cosentino merely speculated that Perfetti's connections to Detroit could lead to them picking him, and then everybody just treated it as fact and took off with it.

Well Cosentino is a tool. Detroit is not going to just every player associated with Michigan. I am glad we didn't take Perfetti.

Reactions: hkydave04

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Raymond reminds me a lot of David Pastrnak when he was in Sweden as a 17-18 year old. Still amazed how he was able to transition to the NHL right away, would expect Raymond to take at least one year.

I think the Pastrnak comparison is more accurate than the Marner one. Anyway, I am happy with the selection, even if I preferred Askarov more. Raymond will be a hell of a player.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Like in most drafts, I've never heard of most of the players being drafted, so I'll go ahead and trust Stevie Y's judgement. Seems like most people are liking the pick, so that's a plus!

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Given the moronic lottery process, I'm pretty good with this (though I think I could've gotten behind literally any pick we could've made, given the team). I think this signals that it's time to move Mantha for someone who plays one of the other positions we have, essentially, nothing at. Especially if, as it seems, W dominates the BPA for round 2.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Was very happy with the pick - Raymond is who I wanted them to take. It's been quite some time since the DRW made the first round selection that I had been hoping for. Not that all my preferences worked out, but it's good to feel some excitement about this team again

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's the best possible cure for me getting over Askarov.

Watch the guy we drafted light him up! Can I get a hell yeah!

Honestly, it is supper impressive he was able to have his number... considering no one on a historically good US program could. It says a lot.

Draper specifically mentioned that game when talking about him last night.

Last edited:

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Excited for Raymond! Even more excited to see the Wings start to take a new shape once we bring in Seider and Raymond in ‘21.

As Njx said above, I wonder if this makes Yzerman more comfortable with moving Mantha for some help at C or D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad