Wings Select Lucas Raymond 4th Overall

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Raymond is going to be an excellent playmaker, no doubt about it. His game is going to compliment Zadina very well in a couple of years

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We also need to never doubt the connections of Hakan. Dipping into the Frolunda well. His finger prints are everywhere on the last two years.
I absolutely love letting our top European scout get involved in two straight top 10 picks. I get that Yzerman was sold on Seider all by himself, it's just great to see us play to our one clear strength over the years. No more waiting to the third round and beyond to Unleash The Hakan!

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
My impression is that Raymond's game is more well-rounded than that of the other forwards who were in the conversation for Detroit and I think he's got as much upside as anyone else who was still on the board. What'll be interesting I think is seeing how fast he develops, especially with the pandemic. Somebody else already mentioned here, he's appears to have just come online for the SHL.
He's as well rounded as they come. Great hands, vision, hockey IQ, skating and effort. And a right-handed shot. Couldn't have gotten anyone better IMO.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm OK with it because the next draft is D heavy. Ideally I want to see the team build D first, but I'm sure Stevie and the team has already looked at what the next 2 drafts look like..... I mean we don;t even do this for a living and we;ve all at least taken a glance.

Well, most of TB's blueline was built through trades and signings. We have Seider and Hronek. Wouldn't be surprising to see Yzerman pull a similar trick here.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm OK with it because the next draft is D heavy. Ideally I want to see the team build D first, but I'm sure Stevie and the team has already looked at what the next 2 drafts look like..... I mean we don;t even do this for a living and we;ve all at least taken a glance.
We have 5 picks over the next two rounds so I'm guessing they will pick a couple d-men. Just get a bunch of at bats and see how many develop.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I thought Draper looked kind of upset. He probably had to tell him he wasn't their pick.

Yzerman last year seems to be leaning a lot on Hakan on his draft pick selections deservedly since he has a proven record through the years. Draper will mostly like be a good choice as his chief scout but he is only on his first year so at this time I think he will depend upon on Hakan a lot when the choice is close.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I hope he becomes our Alfredsson.

I don’t really see him making an impact really quickly though, but I hope I’m wrong on that.

Maybe Zadina/Veleno/Raymond could be our Heatley/Spezza/Alfredsson minus the drama?

Or maybe our Kariya/Rucchin/Selanne.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
So sad he didn't fall to us at #5, but happy for you guys! In my opinion his upside is as high as anyone's in the draft.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Another first rounder on a winger.

I'm going to trust Hakan, who has connections to his organization here... but I'm not thrilled with this.
The last 2 weeks or so, however, as I became more sure Perfetti wasn't going to be an NHL center, Raymond did pass him in my ranking...

Ottawa gets Stuetzle and Sanderson.
Center and LD.
What a f***ing haul.
That's what we needed.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
His skating is mediocre at best, players have dropped out of the top 10 for that.
Very true. There's a very good reason Rossi and Perfetti went back to back. Askarov was clearly the pick there and while Winnipeg doesn't need a goalie by any means, the Wild have no excuse.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Very happy with the Raymond pick! I was worried that we were going to go with Perfetti. I guess the other scouts saw what I saw (or didn't see) as well. Raymond is a beauty with high upside, great shot, great playmaker, and a great 4 way skater. He'll be a staple in Detroit soon enough!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Another first rounder on a winger.

I'm going to trust Hakan, who has connections to his organization here... but I'm not thrilled with this.
The last 2 weeks or so, however, as I became more sure Perfetti wasn't going to be an NHL center, Raymond did pass him in my ranking...

Ottawa gets Stuetzle and Sanderson.
Center and LD.
What a f***ing haul.
That's what we needed.

And to get that they traded Erik Karlsson. You don't get multiple high picks without giving up big value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad