GDT: Wings @ Sabres | Jack Hughes Edition

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It's an arbitrary milestone. Why is 1,000 somehow important? Why not 1,009? Or 1,093? What makes 1,000 a milestone worth celebrating but 996 or 1,009 isn't worth celebrating? It's a completely arbitrary number.

Is this a real question?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It’s an emotional time, Larkin hit 30, the kids played fantastic, and most importantly we came together as a GDT for the first time in a while. Congrats everybody.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Is this a real question?

Absolutely. Is it more impressive to play 1,000 games or 1,006 games? Why is the less impressive milestone celebrated but not the more impressive milestone? Because it ends in 0. That's the definition of arbitrary.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This team has tons of hidden potential imo.
Most teams do, that's just hockey. LA still has Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they made it next year even with how horrible they've been this year.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Really happy for the kids. Buffalo should be embarrassed about where they are with this kind of talent on their team :thumbd:

Reactions: KJoe88

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Most teams do, that's just hockey. LA still has Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they made it next year even with how horrible they've been this year.

I meant from a standpoint of skill.

I think we have guys who can develop into better players than imagined.

But it’s up to them to develop. Hronek was looking like a future #1 stud tonight (for the most part) Mantha and Bert clicking and Larkin doing Larkin things.

Consistency and putting it all together is the issue.

Reactions: Sentinel

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I meant from a standpoint of skill.

I think we have guys who can develop into better players than imagined.

But it’s up to them to develop. Hronek was looking like a future #1 stud tonight (for the most part) Mantha and Bert clicking and Larkin doing Larkin things.

Consistency and putting it all together is the issue.
Eh, I hope so but we don't have a lot of depth after those 5. We have some guys in our prospect pool who should help that out though.

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
We aren’t getting Jack Hughes. Going into next season with some momentum and our young core showing out, is just as good, as far as I’m concerned. We’ll still get a high pick. I like the way our team has looked the past couple weeks. Excited for future. #LGRW

Reactions: Sentinel and KJoe88

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
We aren’t getting Jack Hughes. Going into next season with some momentum and our young core showing out, is just as good, as far as I’m concerned. We’ll still get a high pick. I like the way our team has looked the past couple weeks. Excited for future. #LGRW
Our odds of getting Hughes don't change a ton if we move a couple spots up.
What does change is how far we could move back.
In my view there is a clear top 6, so as long as we stay in the bottom 4 I'm happy (4th only has 8% chance of falling to 7).

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

And the magical thing, we still have like 19.1% chance at a Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko as it currently stands.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Eh, I hope so but we don't have a lot of depth after those 5. We have some guys in our prospect pool who should help that out though.

Well, idk.AA can score tons now and is finally putting it together. We may have something in Hirose. Who’s knows where Veleno and Zadina will be and where ever we draft this year will procure us a potential star center.

I guess we’ll see, but I’m always more optimistic than most here about the team

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Well, idk.AA can score tons now and is finally putting it together. We may have something in Hirose. Who’s knows where Veleno and Zadina will be and where ever we draft this year will procure us a potential star center.

I guess we’ll see, but I’m always more optimistic than most here about the team
And don't forget Svechnikov!

Reactions: KJoe88

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Absolutely. Is it more impressive to play 1,000 games or 1,006 games? Why is the less impressive milestone celebrated but not the more impressive milestone? Because it ends in 0. That's the definition of arbitrary.

I mean, what’s wrong with celebrating game 1000? What’s the problem here?

Moreover, If it’s all arbitrary why would we celebrate 996 or 1009? Those seem even more arbitrary than the rounded power of 10.

And who says we aren’t impressed by 1009? The fact that we (the collective) celebrate the 1000th game milestone doesn’t mean we aren’t impressed as the number continues to climb higher; we’re just not going to make a show about it each and every game with new plaques.

Either way, 1000 games is a pretty substantial milestone. So much so that only 7 Red Wings have actually hit it, while what, almost double that, have hit 900?

By all means, Go ahead and celebrate any number you chose, I don’t really care. I just thought it was an odd thing to be hung up on haha

Last edited:
Reactions: wingerdinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad