GDT: Wings @ Sabres | Jack Hughes Edition

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Man... Red wings... What the hell.

People are ok with 4th for why? Lol I seriously don't get you people that are fine? We're winning games that mean nothing. It was pretty important to lose this game.

We're prolly going to be picking 6th or 7th. Then you'll all be happy about 30 goal seasons still Kronwall, all it meaning... NOTHING. To me, winning these games is straight up costing the rebuild a full year. It's not helping anything or anyone.

What shall we do about it?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
What shall we do about it?

Be frustrated about it? Concerned? Fans can express displeasure when the recent success is hurting the future.

I'm not part of the organization and neither are most fans so thats about all "we" can do about it. Plenty of things the staff can do to finagle a weak roster(which I think they kind of had tried to do.)

I mean 5 games left, we can legit fall to 7th without the lottery screwing anything up for us. It was nice being tucked into that 3rd spot insuring we couldn't fall lower than 6th. I'm literally already prepairing myself to get screwed out of the top 3, no yzerman, Holland extends Kronwall, Vanek and away 19-20 to lose as many games as possible.

What gets me the most is the 30 goals thing, like great for Larkin, I don't believe in AA so... I mean honestly he'd not have near this amount of ice time or goals on a legit contending team. But now, this offseason, I can already see the Wings organization and media following proping up AA like he's a true 2nd line center.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
As tempting as it would be to draft a defenseman it would also be really nice to essentially finish off the future of the forward group. I'm really torn on what position I prefer.

With a top 6 of something like the following, maybe adding a free agent signing like Skinner or something also, I really think you could start to focus nearly 100% on fixing the defense long term.

Martha - Larkin - Bertuzzi
Kadina - Top 5 Pick - AA

Yeah but if we keep waiting on D, by the time we draft and develop one into a top pair guy, Mantha, AA and Bert will be 30. I get your point, and a top 6 like that looks amazing, but eventually we need to start upgrading the D for the future.

I think we got really lucky with Hronek. Earlier in the year I said Hronek or Cholo may never be top pair D, but Hronek right now is extremely impressive. For what he is doing at his age is amazing. He's playing 22+ minutes per game right now, and actually thriving with the minutes. Hronek may just be that PP QB we need.

I love that suggested top 6 you said, but I'll counter with a top 4 D of:

Byram-Hronek
Cholowski-Free Agent (or McIsaac if he works out)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You can't force the youngsters to stop performing (and I think it would be dumb to sit them just to tank). Yeah, it would be nice to be last in the league and have the best odds, but 4th isn't THAT much worse and I like seeing our other young players taking steps forward (since we won't be contenders with Hughes alone even if we get him and he is just as advertised).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You can't force the youngsters to stop performing (and I think it would be dumb to sit them just to tank). Yeah, it would be nice to be last in the league and have the best odds, but 4th isn't THAT much worse and I like seeing our other young players taking steps forward (since we won't be contenders with Hughes alone even if we get him and he is just as advertised).

Essentially this. We are still likely to lose more of those last five games than win. I mean, they damn near lost this one to Buffalo. So while we aren't officially locked there, we are approaching the highest likelihood of being there.

And just by the sheer nature of it, losing 3 draft slots is a very long shot.

Be frustrated about it? Concerned? Fans can express displeasure when the recent success is hurting the future.

I'm not part of the organization and neither are most fans so thats about all "we" can do about it. Plenty of things the staff can do to finagle a weak roster(which I think they kind of had tried to do.)

I mean 5 games left, we can legit fall to 7th without the lottery screwing anything up for us. It was nice being tucked into that 3rd spot insuring we couldn't fall lower than 6th. I'm literally already prepairing myself to get screwed out of the top 3, no yzerman, Holland extends Kronwall, Vanek and away 19-20 to lose as many games as possible.

What gets me the most is the 30 goals thing, like great for Larkin, I don't believe in AA so... I mean honestly he'd not have near this amount of ice time or goals on a legit contending team. But now, this offseason, I can already see the Wings organization and media following proping up AA like he's a true 2nd line center.

But yeah, let's get up in arms because our team won and cost ourselves like 5 ping pong balls.

Also on AA... no? And if we're going full cynic... what would you rather have... 2C AA or the Wings to go out and spend 6-6.5M on Kevin Hayes?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I mean dropping to fourth does cause the odds to slip to near 70% that we'll actually fall back a position or two vs gain anything in the lottery.

Not that anyone cares because of this magnificent "growth" we've seen in the last 10 games.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yeah but if we keep waiting on D, by the time we draft and develop one into a top pair guy, Mantha, AA and Bert will be 30. I get your point, and a top 6 like that looks amazing, but eventually we need to start upgrading the D for the future.

I think we got really lucky with Hronek. Earlier in the year I said Hronek or Cholo may never be top pair D, but Hronek right now is extremely impressive. For what he is doing at his age is amazing. He's playing 22+ minutes per game right now, and actually thriving with the minutes. Hronek may just be that PP QB we need.

I love that suggested top 6 you said, but I'll counter with a top 4 D of:

Byram-Hronek
Cholowski-Free Agent (or McIsaac if he works out)

All great points you made, can't argue much lol. I just want to finish off one aspect of the rebuild, and I think drafting a center top 5 in 2019 finishes off our forward group more or less. At that point, you can pool all your resources into fixing the D. Free agency (Karlsson) and trades (Trouba) are also an option. Also, I think having that great forward group (assuming Zadina/top 5 pick live up to expectations) will help young defensemen like Cholowski and Hronek grow and meet their upside.

Lots of ways to build a team though, no way is really more right than the other. Keep drafting really good players, regardless of position, and I think most things will work themselves out.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedWingzz

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Essentially this. We are still likely to lose more of those last five games than win. I mean, they damn near lost this one to Buffalo. So while we aren't officially locked there, we are approaching the highest likelihood of being there.

And just by the sheer nature of it, losing 3 draft slots is a very long shot.

But yeah, let's get up in arms because our team won and cost ourselves like 5 ping pong balls.

Also on AA... no? And if we're going full cynic... what would you rather have... 2C AA or the Wings to go out and spend 6-6.5M on Kevin Hayes?

Whatever dude, rationalize why it's a good thing we've now got a 70% chance to actually fall back vs move up in the lottery.

That doesn't have to be the Wings only options at C for next year but whatever my man, paint the picture how you want to.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
All great points you made, can't argue much lol. I just want to finish off one aspect of the rebuild, and I think drafting a center top 5 in 2019 finishes off our forward group more or less. At that point, you can pool all your resources into fixing the D. Free agency (Karlsson) and trades (Trouba) are also an option. Also, I think having that great forward group (assuming Zadina/top 5 pick live up to expectations) will help young defensemen like Cholowski and Hronek grow and meet their upside.

Lots of ways to build a team though, no way is really more right than the other. Keep drafting really good players, regardless of position, and I think most things will work themselves out.
How do you see we can bring Trina?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Man... Red wings... What the hell.

People are ok with 4th for why? Lol I seriously don't get you people that are fine? We're winning games that mean nothing. It was pretty important to lose this game.

We're prolly going to be picking 6th or 7th. Then you'll all be happy about 30 goal seasons still Kronwall, all it meaning... NOTHING. To me, winning these games is straight up costing the rebuild a full year. It's not helping anything or anyone.

Lets win 6 or 7 out of our last 10... YAY!
Because Ottawa is on another level bad, LA gave up in November, and the Wings literally just got out of a 3-12-3 stretch. If AA, Larkin, Mantha, and Bert went pointless over the last 6 games and we lost them all, people would be happy with the losses while complaining about the players rather than being happy about the players and complaining about the losses.

It's a joke. Luckily for some, there's always something to bitch about.

Why the hell am I celebrating a win over the Sabres? Larkin played like a f***ing animal, 2 goals and 12 shots on goal. Mantha had 3 assists. Bertuzzi had 2 goals. Hronek had 2 points. We signed a free asset off the street who's started their career with 5 assists in consecutive games and looks like a legit NHLer.
The wings had 14 points last night, 12 of them were by players under 25.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI

Yes, as fans we can share our displeasure, its what makes us fans.. however, there is not much else the Red Wings can do outside of sitting Larkin and AA and hoping to lose. I mean look at their injury list right now: Abdeklader, Daley, De La Rose, Green, Rasmussen, and Vanek. They are playing their young players and getting them ice time.

Who would have thought that the Wings would be on a 3 game win streak with the roster they are putting out every night.. not any of us. All you can do is watch, hope for a loss, and hope for the kids to play well. We've gotten 1 of those things, and its not a bad thing. You have the future of the Wings organization playing their asses off every night even as their team sits near last place. That is a good things. These kids are fighting for their jobs and to be noticed for playing well so that they have a shot to be on the roster (and stay on the roster) next year.

AA on the other hand has been great this year, and you seem to be...mad about it? The Wings organization know that AA is better on the wing, but experimenting and trying him out at center is a good backup plan for the future incase we have other centers out with injury. AA will most likely stay on the wing next year, especially if we take a center in this years draft.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
AA on the other hand has been great this year, and you seem to be...mad about it? The Wings organization know that AA is better on the wing, but experimenting and trying him out at center is a good backup plan for the future incase we have other centers out with injury. AA will most likely stay on the wing next year, especially if we take a center in this years draft.

I agree with most of what you said actually and I'm just amazed/frustrated they are winning these games.

As far AA goes, I'm just not buying into him like EVERYONE else is here. He's a pretty good player on a terrible team that's had a lot of opportunity. No, I'm definately not mad about it. What I'm worried about is Wings will peg him in as a legit 2nd line C without even trying to get someone else. He's pretty good don't get me wrong guys, I'm just not buying him at this level or hype that he's got now.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Because Ottawa is on another level bad, LA gave up in November, and the Wings literally just got out of a 3-12-3 stretch. If AA, Larkin, Mantha, and Bert went pointless over the last 6 games and we lost them all, people would be happy with the losses while complaining about the players rather than being happy about the players and complaining about the losses.

It's a joke. Luckily for some, there's always something to ***** about.

Why the hell am I celebrating a win over the Sabres? Larkin played like a ****ing animal, 2 goals and 12 shots on goal. Mantha had 3 assists. Bertuzzi had 2 goals. Hronek had 2 points. We signed a free asset off the street who's started their career with 5 assists in consecutive games and looks like a legit NHLer.
The wings had 14 points last night, 12 of them were by players under 25.

Yeah, we're aloud to swear on here to make points, nice work.

I'm actually glad for the success of those players, I just didn't want the wins. I'm frusterated with that, and how they're losing draft position when clearly for more than half a year we knew as fans the Red wings would be fighting for top draft position.

I think everyone wants the players to do well, and lose.

But again, paint your picture how you want to.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
How do you see we can bring Trina?

I assume you mean how can we get Trouba? Well, I think Winnipeg only has him under team control for 1 more year. As far as I know he doesn't want to sign long term in Winnipeg so I would imagine they will be trying to move him for the best assets they can get in return this coming offseason so they don't lose him for nothing, but that's just speculation. I would be willing to trade a package involving a future 1st rounder for him.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Will someone tell Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Larkin that we will never get better if they keep scoring?! RAH, ANGRY WORDS RAH RAGH. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I have an attitude that the chips will land where they land. Whether we draft 3rd or 7th the rebuild isn't over anyway so I see no point in getting frustrated and pissed that the young core is playing well.

At the end of the day, I'd prefer the best draft pick possible but If i'm watching the game I might as well enjoy the game cause my frustration about them winning won't change a damn thing except set myself up for more disappointment and frustration.

And what are we or the organization supposed to do? Ask larkin and AA to not race for 30 goals? Ask Bertuzzi to stop working hard at the front of the net? Ask Howard to stop making saves?

Life (rebuilding) is a journey my dude, might as well stop and smell the flowers along the way.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Seriously though, I have an attitude that the chips will land where they land. Whether we draft 3rd or 7th the rebuild isn't over anyway so I see no point in getting frustrated and pissed that the young core is playing well.

That statement is shovling dirt down my throat. I would still like them to do well and lose.

I'm not suggesting they sit anyone. Someone asked me what they should do(redwings) and I don't know, I just said I'm frustrated they're winning. They still would be playing well if they'd of lost these last three games vs win?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Really? lol

If you're going to be like that, it's allowed************ And I didn't make any points by swearing. I just swore a couple times.

Ha, Touche that was nice. Really though, if they lost 5-4 vs won, wouldn't of still be a good game?

Last edited:

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I agree with most of what you said actually and I'm just amazed/frustrated they are winning these games.

As far AA goes, I'm just not buying into him like EVERYONE else is here. He's a pretty good player on a terrible team that's had a lot of opportunity. No, I'm definately not mad about it. What I'm worried about is Wings will peg him in as a legit 2nd line C without even trying to get someone else. He's pretty good don't get me wrong guys, I'm just not buying him at this level or hype that he's got now.

The Wings don't have a 2nd line center at the moment, but with the way Athanasiou has been playing this year and how hard he has been working, he deserved a shot. You can't make the argument that he hasn't taken advantage of it because he has still played great. The Wings wont leave him their long term, I believe the goal in the draft is to find that 1st/2nd line center so that they don't have to force AA into that spot.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I assume you mean how can we get Trouba? Well, I think Winnipeg only has him under team control for 1 more year. As far as I know he doesn't want to sign long term in Winnipeg so I would imagine they will be trying to move him for the best assets they can get in return this coming offseason so they don't lose him for nothing, but that's just speculation. I would be willing to trade a package involving a future 1st rounder for him.
Yes , Trouba . If we going to be good next year it makes sense, but if not it's bit risky. Next draft going to be very good and we probably will regret this move

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The Wings don't have a 2nd line center at the moment, but with the way Athanasiou has been playing this year and how hard he has been working, he deserved a shot. You can't make the argument that he hasn't taken advantage of it because he has still played great. The Wings wont leave him their long term, I believe the goal in the draft is to find that 1st/2nd line center so that they don't have to force AA into that spot.

Well, Honestly. I hope you are right. Fans on here are already set to put that crown on him. Where I am not, my gosh, don't say that out-loud though right after you just voiced displeasure with the last three wins cause of the draft position.

Even you said I'm, "Mad" about it when I'm not. I'm just saying I don't think he solves a problem(like 2nd line center). An I think Wings could buy into that he is that guy and won't go searching for a C in the draft, fa, or trade.

Tsweeny already basically said he'd rather have AA vs go pay someone.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
That statement is shovling dirt down my throat. I would still like them to do well and lose.

I'm not suggesting they sit anyone. Someone asked me what they should do(redwings) and I don't know, I just said I'm frustrated they're winning. They still would be playing well if they'd of lost these last three games vs win?

My point wasn't to suggest you're rooting against the young guys but when they are driving the team to wins we might as well make the most of the ride. At least that's my perspective.

But hey, you do you.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Well, Honestly. I hope you are right. Fans on here are already set to put that crown on him. Where I am not, my gosh, don't say that out-loud though right after you just voiced displeasure with the last three wins cause of the draft position.

Even you said I'm, "Mad" about it when I'm not. I'm just saying I don't think he solves a problem(like 2nd line center). An I think Wings could buy into that he is that guy and won't go searching for a C in the draft, fa, or trade.

Tsweeny already basically said he'd rather have AA vs go pay someone.

Yep because that's exactly what I said. I was saying that if you and the org doesn't think he's a 2C... the Wings will likely go out and sign a guy to a contract you will hate. So if you are already in a mindset that you want them to lose come hell or high water, wouldn't you want to keep a guy who is cheaper and not lock yourself into another Nielsen contract (as that's the kind of deal and player they'd probably go after for the role.

I'm not crowning him anything. I'm saying that for those upset about the Wings winning a few here and there, it would make sense because we'd be a weaker team because he's ill fit for the role and it keeps you from a 5x6 deal for someone you're bound to ***** about.

Ha, Touche that was nice. Really though, if they lost 5-4 vs won, wouldn't of still be a good game?

But they won. I just don't see the point of "oh, but it would be so nice if they had lost!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad