Recalled/Assigned: Wings Recall Joe Hicketts & Abby to IR (Back to GR 11/7)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Blashill: I'm not happy with Cholowski's play so he's going to sit in the press box and instead I'm going to call up someone who will never be a full time NHL defenseman.

Oh and Svech, why are you hopping over the boards? Sit yer ass back down!

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I'm starting to think whoever is evaluating Cholowski is an idiot. It's incredible how bad some of the shifts Daley,Green and Bowey have put in, often times at the expense of Cholowski. Sure he's terrible at putting out fires in the d-zone. That's different than being the one who started the fire however.

I think it's wishful thinking that passivity and inexperience is at the root of a lot of this teams problems. We have a lot of bull headed, punch drunk veterans that handicap shifts and rotations far worse than the more involved players that are bearing the critical and statistical brunt of our lack of depth and lack of able bodies.

In the past. my love of Jiri Hudler had caused me to root against the likes of Patrick Eaves, as Hudler sat in the press box. I'll probably skip watching tonight to absolve Mr.Hicketts of the same treatment.

I loved it at first, when Yzerman included Hronek as a core player in his interviews, and completely ignored Cholowski. Make the fiery Fil a little more at ease, and leave the level headed Cholowski with something to prove.

But at this point, it'd be nice to see Cholowski acknowledged for how ahead of the curve and mature he has been in his short career, as the messaging towards him has gotten somehow simultaneously stagnant and inconsistent. Otherwise it's going to start feeling like I'm stuck rooting for a lame duck player fighting against projected confirmation bias from his own team again.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stevie won't be afraid to pull the trigger on trades, sending players down etc. Early signs certainly indicate that.

Yeah.

56 trades at Tampa during 7 years as GM.

8 trades per year. Most of them was mimimal class like this Regula-case.

So far:

Erne <> 4th
Biega <> Pope
Perlini <> Regula

Christien

May 1, 2010
Really disappointed to hear Cholowski’s scratched tonight. He’s our only LHD that can actually move the puck and I thought he’s been better defensively. Cholo’s looked solid the past couple games and to scratch him seems like the wrong move. Thank god we still have Daley and Bowey in tonight, they’ve really earned it with their play :thumbu:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I can think of players they could trade or send down and it isn't Cholowski.

One way to fix this is to have an entire roster full of players you want in the line up... As long as Blash has options to put in garbage and bench young guys, he may continue to. Yzerman will need to LTIR, demote, trade and wave every plug to stop Blash for doing his line up moves.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
How many of Cholowski's minuses came when the goalie was pulled this year....2 or 3.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Really disappointed to hear Cholowski’s scratched tonight. He’s our only LHD that can actually move the puck and I thought he’s been better defensively. Cholo’s looked solid the past couple games and to scratch him seems like the wrong move. Thank god we still have Daley and Bowey in tonight, they’ve really earned it with their play :thumbu:

Blashill is the ultimate tank commander:
- Svechnikov playing well, showing intensity, hustle, forecheck, great hands and setting up plays playing with useless players = benched
- Cholowski playing well and showing excellent progress in his game = benched
- Hirose being pushed around and showing that he isn't nhl ready = give him PP1 ice time
- Daley showing that he's not an nhler anymore = whatever we need veterans I guess
- Bowey showing that he has no nhl future and has the iq of a rock = let's scratch Cholo

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Blashill is the ultimate tank commander:
- Svechnikov playing well, showing intensity, hustle, forecheck, great hands and setting up plays playing with useless players = benched
- Cholowski playing well and showing excellent progress in his game = benched
- Hirose being pushed around and showing that he isn't nhl ready = give him PP1 ice time
- Daley showing that he's not an nhler anymore = whatever we need veterans I guess
- Bowey showing that he has no nhl future and has the iq of a rock = let's scratch Cholo

Disagree with Cholo playing well, but otherwise spot on.

At some point, though, folks, Hronek is headed for the same fate. you can't give up 4 goals/60 and keep your spot in the lineup

Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cholo has been on for all 3 empty netters against this year.. Green, Daley and Hronek were out there with him for one each.. last season he had at least 10.....
If Green got a minus for every goal that was scored while he was in the box for a stupid penalty (last one was DoG), he'd be leading by a good margin.

If anyone needs to sit, it's Green (too many penalties) and Hirose (not physically capable of playing in the NHL).

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don’t want to overreact over a one game decision but these type of moves kinda make me question Blash’s judgement and authority in the room.

To bench Cholowski for Joe fricking Hicketts, who you had to call up from the AHL, is kind of dramatic. I’m not sure what the end goal is here. Let’s hope it’s a short change

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did he and Stevie tell you that firsthand when you guys were having a beer?

When Yzerman aquires Perlini, and certain need at forward corps, people whine here how Blashill won't give Svechnikov ice-time and blaims Blashill.

Yzerman will get a report from Blashill of the situation, and Yzerman operates DECISIONS based on that.

That's how normal management works.

All big picture falls on Yzerman. Just like it did for Holland before. Babcock had his ideas and Holland still operated on his own way.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
When Yzerman aquires Perlini, and certain need at forward corps, people whine here how Blashill won't give Svechnikov ice-time and blaims Blashill.

All big picture falls on Yzerman. He'll get a report from Blashill of the situation, and Yzerman operates DECISIONS based on that.

That's how normal management works.
Are you saying people shouldn't blame Blashill for Svech's ice time?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Why do everybody have to BLAIM about something all the time?

Where's the smart discussion`?
What smart discussion are you looking for? Because only positive spin on all things Red Wings is not really smart discussion, but that seems to be what you want.

The smart discussion has been trying to figure out the disconnect between a young player who looks like he's playing well getting such limited ice time. It doesn't make sense when it seems like SVech was doing what you'd want from a young player who gets called up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What smart discussion are you looking for? Because only positive spin on all things Red Wings is not really smart discussion, but that seems to be what you want.

The smart discussion has been trying to figure out the disconnect between a young player who looks like he's playing well getting such limited ice time. It doesn't make sense when it seems like SVech was doing what you'd want from a young player who gets called up.

Ok.

So give us a better solution for Svechnikov, when Perlini arrives. What would you do?

Arena is yours.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would rather see Cholowski continue to develop in the big league, with our current D core he should be a full time fixture :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad